Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Welcome to the New World of NIL

Bobref

As of today, college student athletes can begin monetizing their name, image and likeness (NIL). Many states have laws. Many do not. The NCAA’s hastily-passed (yesterday) regulation basically says nothing, with one exception discussed below. So, it’s going to be a hodgepodge of laws out there for the foreseeable future. But the one law we know will be in action is the Law of Unintended Consequences. There are bound to be lots of stories about kids taking advantage of this opportunity. Some will be fascinating, some outrageous, a few maybe even scandalous.

Post your interesting stories about NIL here.

Here’s a broad overview of NIL: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31086019/everything-need-know-ncaa-nil-debate

One aspect I find interesting is a little tidbit I learned for the first time today. Heard Paul Finebaum say that part of the NIL regulation is that a kid can’t compete against the university. For example, Notre Dame has a contract with Under Armour. I think that means a player at Notre Dame can’t have his own shoe deal with Nike. How can that be legal?

4 hours ago, Bobref said:

As of today, college student athletes can begin monetizing their name, image and likeness (NIL). Many states have laws. Many do not. The NCAA’s hastily-passed (yesterday) regulation basically says nothing, with one exception discussed below. So, it’s going to be a hodgepodge of laws out there for the foreseeable future. But the one law we know will be in action is the Law of Unintended Consequences. There are bound to be lots of stories about kids taking advantage of this opportunity. Some will be fascinating, some outrageous, a few maybe even scandalous.

Post your interesting stories about NIL here.

Here’s a broad overview of NIL: https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/31086019/everything-need-know-ncaa-nil-debate

One aspect I find interesting is a little tidbit I learned for the first time today. Heard Paul Finebaum say that part of the NIL regulation is that a kid can’t compete against the university. For example, Notre Dame has a contract with Under Armour. I think that means a player at Notre Dame can’t have his own shoe deal with Nike. How can that be legal?

It will be interesting to see this play out. As far as the uniform thing, my guess is that it could be challenged in court....maybe a company like Nike brings the suit? Every other sports league manages this with no problems. 

32 minutes ago, Irishman said:

It will be interesting to see this play out. As far as the uniform thing, my guess is that it could be challenged in court....maybe a company like Nike brings the suit? Every other sports league manages this with no problems. 

The problem is Nike is on the other side of that equation as often as not.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

Keyshawn Johnson had an interesting take on first take he said will there be animosity between teammates because one makes more then the other?

I also heard someone say that all the $ should go into a pool from which the whole team benefits … since it was the whole team that caused the success that allowed certain players to monetize their NIL. 

All of us old fogies are thinking in terms of endorsements and public appearances. But that’s not where the money is likely to come from. Think “clicks” and “followers.” It’s all about monetizing the social media presence. Tik-Tok, Twitter, and Instagram are where the money is going to be made.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

I also heard someone say that all the $ should go into a pool from which the whole team benefits … since it was the whole team that caused the success that allowed certain players to monetize their NIL. 

All of us old fogies are thinking in terms of endorsements and public appearances. But that’s not where the money is likely to come from. Think “clicks” and “followers.” It’s all about monetizing the social media presence. Tik-Tok, Twitter, and Instagram are where the money is going to be made.

See my post above referencing Barstool Sports.

8 hours ago, Whiting89 said:

Keyshawn Johnson had an interesting take on first take he said will there be animosity between teammates because one makes more then the other?

Color me shocked.  🙂

@Bobrefsometime this past spring/early summer, there was a discussion about creating a bigger gap between the have and have nots of college football.

What 1 university will do to stay ahead of the next.

I saw a Tik-tok of O$U spring ball.  They had a live DJ.

Check out some of the tik-toks (I will show you....lol....you will end up on some watch sight or something 😉 ) of players now.......and what they are given.  It is unreal.

1 hour ago, DE said:

See my post above referencing Barstool Sports.

I really don’t know anything about Barstool Sports, except that there’s a channel on Sirius XM where they seem to compete with one another as to who can use the foulest language on the air.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I really don’t know anything about Barstool Sports, except that there’s a channel on Sirius XM where they seem to compete with one another as to who can use the foulest language on the air.

Neither do I, except I saw a tik-tok of David Portnoy, founder of Barstool Sports, yesterday.

3 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Every university that wants to be a serious player in recruiting should immediately hire an athletic dept. staff member whose only job is to help student athletes maximize their NIL opportunities.

You don't think there is someone/s already in place?  Tsk. Tsk.  🤣

6 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Every university that wants to be a serious player in recruiting should immediately hire an athletic dept. staff member whose only job is to help student athletes maximize their NIL opportunities.

Add all this NIL to the transfer portal.....gonna be a s*** show.

Should the universities then cut all scholarships and make the "student"-athletes pay full tuition?

13 hours ago, DE said:

😂 So it begins. Hand back the free education. 

I can’t think of anything less “free” than the “free” education a D-1 scholarship football athlete gets. And Spencer Rattler may make some money. But the #3 guy on the tennis team won’t.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

I can’t think of anything less “free” than the “free” education a D-1 scholarship football athlete gets. And Spencer Rattler may make some money. But the #3 guy on the tennis team won’t.

Perfect.  Then hand it back and give the scholarship to the #3 guy on the tennis team.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Yep, this is gonna get messy.

Yep.  A complete s*** show.

Now......

When does DI waiver period, releasing of players, trades,etc. become "normal" in college athletics?

Free agency is already there.

Gonna happen sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, DE said:

Yep.  A complete s*** show.

It always is when some type of fundamental change is first implemented. IMO this one was long overdue. 

Next, I’d like to see the NFL and NLFPA do away with the rule on when you can leave early for the draft … or skip college and go right to the NFL.

• Like 1

On 7/4/2021 at 10:13 AM, Bobref said:

It always is when some type of fundamental change is first implemented. IMO this one was long overdue. 

Next, I’d like to see the NFL and NLFPA do away with the rule on when you can leave early for the draft … or skip college and go right to the NFL.

It would be kinda cool like hockey where a player can get drafted and still play college so as a bears fan you can follow your prospects in college

On 7/3/2021 at 5:39 PM, DE said:

😂 So it begins. Hand back the free education. 

How come schools are making money off tv, tickets, and licensing rights.

40 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Because they own those rights?

But how valuable are those rights without players? I’ve always wondered why professional players don’t break away and make their own league. I know it’s complicated with all the laws etc.

10 minutes ago, Whiting89 said:

I’ve always wondered why professional players don’t break away and make their own league. I know it’s complicated with all the laws etc.

Because it takes a huge capital investment to own a sports franchise.

1 hour ago, Whiting89 said:

It would be kinda cool like hockey where a player can get drafted and still play college so as a bears fan you can follow your prospects in college

How come schools are making money off tv, tickets, and licensing rights.

Don't like that either.

Greed.

I saw a clip where Dabo said he'd quit coaching the day college athletes get paid.  Has he resigned yet?

• Haha 2