Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Welcome to the New World of NIL

Bobref

On 7/2/2021 at 8:34 AM, Bobref said:

Every university that wants to be a serious player in recruiting should immediately hire an athletic dept. staff member whose only job is to help student athletes maximize their NIL opportunities.

Very true.   You might as well maximize it for recruiting.

I dont understand how social media folks make the money they do and I worry about outside influencers pitting players against coaches.

But if this keeps college athletes in college for four or 5 years,  I can see a benefit 

18 hours ago, oldunclemark said:

I worry about outside influencers pitting players against coaches.

I think in the years to come we’re going to see some shocking examples of this. There’s just too much money involved for it to be otherwise. It’s going to be the Wild West out there for a while.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, Coach Nowlin said:

WOW
FTA: On Twitter, Ewers cited his inability to profit off his own name, image and likeness as a high school athlete as one factor in his decision to head to Columbus early.

Just think this is a huge mistake on his part. The time goes so fast, and there are sooo many great things to experience as a senior that he will miss out on. 

38 minutes ago, Irishman said:

WOW
FTA: On Twitter, Ewers cited his inability to profit off his own name, image and likeness as a high school athlete as one factor in his decision to head to Columbus early.

Just think this is a huge mistake on his part. The time goes so fast, and there are sooo many great things to experience as a senior that he will miss out on. 

You can't diss young Mr. Ewers wanting to maximize his earning potential while he can.  Sounds like a good little capitalist to me.

0*TgZkMYFmunxKSFgR.png 

How long before the world of NIL comes to a high school near you?  After all if a good chunk of paying fans are coming to Center Grove games to watch young Mr. Curry and young Mr. Jackson perform gridiron miracles shouldn't they see a percentage of the spoils?

9 hours ago, Muda69 said:

How long before the world of NIL comes to a high school near you?  After all if a good chunk of paying fans are coming to Center Grove games to watch young Mr. Curry and young Mr. Jackson perform gridiron miracles shouldn't they see a percentage of the spoils?

Very interesting. 

• 3 weeks later...

For those who thought NIL meant getting a kid $500 for spending an afternoon schmoozing at the local car dealership, there’s this. This kid has never started a college game.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32120440/ohio-state-buckeyes-qb-quinn-ewers-nil-deal-14-million-source-says

Ohio State Buckeyes QB Quinn Ewers has NIL deal for $1.4 million, source says

Tom VanHaarenESPN Staff Writer 

Ohio State quarterback Quinn Ewers has signed a name, image and likeness deal with GT Sports Marketing for $1.4 million, a source told ESPN on Tuesday.

The contract with GT Sports Marketing is for three years and is in exchange for autographs. The deal, according to a source, was negotiated by Ewers' agents at Sportstars and Rubicon, and is Ewers' third NIL deal overall.

Ewers is cashing in on the new opportunities that have emerged with NIL deals being granted to college athletes only a few months ago. Once the ruling was passed, Ewers, who was the No. 1 ranked prospect in the 2022 class, decided to skip his senior season, reclassify to the 2021 class and enroll early at Ohio State. He joined the team in August.

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Ewers had offers from nearly every major program in the country. He was originally supposed to stay at Carroll High School (Southlake, Texas) until January, but Texas is one of just three states that have a law prohibiting high school athletes from profiting off NIL.

Illinois and Mississippi are the other two states that prohibit high school athletes from profiting off NIL.

Ewers had initially committed to the Longhorns, but decommitted in October 2020.

6 hours ago, Bobref said:

For those who thought NIL meant getting a kid $500 for spending an afternoon schmoozing at the local car dealership, there’s this. This kid has never started a college game.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32120440/ohio-state-buckeyes-qb-quinn-ewers-nil-deal-14-million-source-says

Ohio State Buckeyes QB Quinn Ewers has NIL deal for $1.4 million, source says

Tom VanHaarenESPN Staff Writer 

Ohio State quarterback Quinn Ewers has signed a name, image and likeness deal with GT Sports Marketing for $1.4 million, a source told ESPN on Tuesday.

The contract with GT Sports Marketing is for three years and is in exchange for autographs. The deal, according to a source, was negotiated by Ewers' agents at Sportstars and Rubicon, and is Ewers' third NIL deal overall.

Ewers is cashing in on the new opportunities that have emerged with NIL deals being granted to college athletes only a few months ago. Once the ruling was passed, Ewers, who was the No. 1 ranked prospect in the 2022 class, decided to skip his senior season, reclassify to the 2021 class and enroll early at Ohio State. He joined the team in August.

The 6-foot-3, 205-pound Ewers had offers from nearly every major program in the country. He was originally supposed to stay at Carroll High School (Southlake, Texas) until January, but Texas is one of just three states that have a law prohibiting high school athletes from profiting off NIL.

Illinois and Mississippi are the other two states that prohibit high school athletes from profiting off NIL.

Ewers had initially committed to the Longhorns, but decommitted in October 2020.

Good for young Mr. Ewers, hope it works out for him.  If it doesn't then this GT Sports Marketing may take a big loss, maybe one it can't recover from.     The free market at work.

• 4 months later...

Caleb Williams has a million reasons to play for Eastern Michigan: https://www.foxnews.com/sports/caleb-williams-million-reasons-play-eastern-michigan

When Oklahoma quarterback Caleb Williams announced his decision to enter the college football transfer portal, few, if any, speculated that Eastern Michigan would be his next stop. But there are now a million reasons why the dream of Williams taking snaps in Ypsilanti could become a reality.

On Wednesday, EMU alum Charlie Batch took to Twitter to let Williams know that a one-year, one million dollar NIL deal awaits him, should he opt to take snaps for the Eagles.

Batch, who spent 15 years as an NFL quarterback, tweeted: "Hey (Caleb Williams), have you considered Eastern Michigan, @EMUFB? If not, you SHOULD. GameAbove Capital is prepared to pay you ONE MILLION DOLLARS for one year! Are you ready be an EAGLE?"

Give Batch credit. You can’t score if you don’t shoot.

And Batch appears to be shooting with his employer’s money. The former QB joined CapStone Holdings in late December as the company’s Senior VP of Strategic Investments.

Per Batch’s tweet, GameAbove Capitol, part of the CapStone Holdings family, is the pimp behind the million dollar NIL offer aimed at securing Williams’ services for EMU.

They’ll likely have to do better than that. Williams is coming off a true freshman season in which he passed for 1,916 yards and 22 touchdowns. The former five-star recruit who entered the Heisman discussion by mid-season added another 442 yards and six scores on the ground. With numbers like those versus Big 12 competition, schools with more national buzz and deeper pockets will undoubtedly soon outdo the million-dollar offer from Eastern Michigan.

And so it continues.......................

Edited by Muda69

• 2 months later...
53 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Trickle down from college was inevitable. Your thoughts about Indiana facing the issue the way Ohio has?

image.thumb.png.3da6a53ec2159c5d2ad763bcdcd87ed6.png

Already posted about this topic in another thread multiple weeks back.

8 hours ago, Bobref said:

Trickle down from college was inevitable. Your thoughts about Indiana facing the issue the way Ohio has?

image.thumb.png.3da6a53ec2159c5d2ad763bcdcd87ed6.png

Fine with me. Not any different than a non-athlete student working as a tutor or at the library.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

Fine with me. Not any different than a non-athlete student working as a tutor or at the library.

Except that the majority of the non-athletes don't already have a full or partial ride for their college tuition and living expenses.  While there may be some similarities in your comparison....I don't see quite see it as apple to apple.  Additionally, most athletes and especially those outside the D1 bigger programs won't experience this benefit.  

56 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Except that the majority of the non-athletes don't already have a full or partial ride for their college tuition and living expenses.  While there may be some similarities in your comparison....I don't see quite see it as apple to apple.  Additionally, most athletes and especially those outside the D1 bigger programs won't experience this benefit.  

I'm confused as to your reply. College tuition and living expenses are certainly something high school students should think about in the future, but I don't feel it should matter if said high school students save the money for it through working at a job, or if a high school athlete does it through NIL

51 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

I'm confused as to your reply. College tuition and living expenses are certainly something high school students should think about in the future, but I don't feel it should matter if said high school students save the money for it through working at a job, or if a high school athlete does it through NIL

Practically impossible  these days for a high school student, working a part time job during the school year and maybe full time or close to full time during the summer months, to earn enough to pay for even maybe two years of college tuition along with room & board.   Won't earn that much working at a fast food joint or delivering pizzas.

"Free money" courtesy of federal government student loan programs has caused huge inflation in the higher education sector. And saddled thousands upon thousands of millennials with loan debt they can probably never repay.

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Practically impossible  these days for a high school student, working a part time job during the school year and maybe full time or close to full time during the summer months, to earn enough to pay for even maybe two years of college tuition along with room & board.   Won't earn that much working at a fast food joint or delivering pizzas.

"Free money" courtesy of federal government student loan programs has caused huge inflation in the higher education sector. And saddled thousands upon thousands of millennials with loan debt they can probably never repay.

Does high school NIL money pay more than a part time job? Citations please.

My perspective 

More and more kids are having to choose between work and participating in extra curricular activities. We have seen kids in our program that are going to work instead of practice, or are going home to watch younger siblings instead of practice. You COULD tell a kid if you miss again, you are off the team. You get a response back “ok”. Sure, old school thinking would say cut them. But when there is no real depth, and you could end up with a team of 15-20 kids, that really is not an option. So you get creative in how to deal with this type of thing. You do what you can. Maybe this alleviates some of this and can keep more kids participating? Talking to other coaches in the area, it is the same everywhere. That’s why I really do just roll me eyes when I see conversations about what makes a great, when so many programs are focused on coaching the kids we have, trying to get the most out of them from day to day is the goal. So, outside the box thinking like this might be a way to address a growing problem.