Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Welcome to the New World of NIL

Bobref

Just now, DE said:

E36FFDEC-43AA-4F00-BDD4-29AFDB865216.png

I saw this and posted it in another thread on 4/15.

Thank you but simply stating a "deal worth $8 million+ for a 5-star recruit" is not the particulars of the deal.  Does it mean this young individual will get paid $8 million by the time he enters a university?   What if this young individual is injured while still in high school,  and is no longer coveted by college recruiters?  What if this young individual doesn't have the academic discipline to qualify for admission to the university of his choice?  So many questions.........

12 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Thank you but simply stating a "deal worth $8 million+ for a 5-star recruit" is not the particulars of the deal.  Does it mean this young individual will get paid $8 million by the time he enters a university?   What if this young individual is injured while still in high school,  and is no longer coveted by college recruiters?  What if this young individual doesn't have the academic discipline to qualify for admission to the university of his choice?  So many questions.........

I agree.  Sorry.  Forgot to add that.

32 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I don't recall espousing my opinion of high school level NIL's one way or the other.

Then why did you reply to my comment on the subject? You went on a rant about wage disparity and college tuition costs. Completely off subject. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Then why did you reply to my comment on the subject? You went on a rant about wage disparity and college tuition costs. Completely off subject. 

Because of this statement that you made:

College tuition and living expenses are certainly something high school students should think about in the future, but I don't feel it should matter if said high school students save the money for it through working at a job, or if a high school athlete does it through NIL

As I pointed out, due to the skyrocketing cost of college tuition and room & board (thanks primarily to federal government interference that distorted the market)  a high school student today thinking he can earn enough $ to fund this by working at primarily a part time job is a pipe dream.   Therefore your attempt at comparing such a high school student to a high school student signing an athletic NIL contract to fund a college education is laughable at best.  The caliber of high student athlete who would attract the attention of an NIL fund mostly likely already has at least one full ride scholarship offer. Therefore those NIL monies will not be used for college tuition, and probably only a marginal amount would be used for "living expenses".

9 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Because of this statement that you made:

As I pointed out, due to the skyrocketing cost of college tuition and room & board (thanks primarily to federal government interference that distorted the market)  a high school student today thinking he can earn enough $ to fund this by working at primarily a part time job is a pipe dream.   Therefore your attempt at comparing such a high school student to a high school student signing an athletic NIL contract to fund a college education is laughable at best.  The caliber of high student athlete who would attract the attention of an NIL fund mostly likely already has at least one full ride scholarship offer. Therefore those NIL monies will not be used for college tuition, and probably only a marginal amount would be used for "living expenses".

Trojan Dad is the one who brought up college tuition. College tuition has nothing to do with NIL for high school student athletes. He had a problem with the wage disparity also among high school students. If all high school students wanted to earn as much as one with a high school NIL deal, they should have become better athletes. Why begrudge the athlete who worked hard to earn a high school NIL his ability to earn what the free market will pay?

14 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Trojan Dad is the one who brought up college tuition. College tuition has nothing to do with NIL for high school student athletes. He had a problem with the wage disparity also among high school students. If all high school students wanted to earn as much as one with a high school NIL deal, they should have become better athletes. Why begrudge the athlete who worked hard to earn a high school NIL his ability to earn what the free market will pay?

Just an example here.....

Let's say your son gets an NIL for 1 million.  He is a minority.

My son does not.  He is not a minority.

Equal players.

That is unfair.  I want the same amount.  I will file a law suit for discrimination.  See how that works.  Totally stupid isn't it?

A lot to answer.  Pandora's Box is wide open.  Best of luck shutting it.

16 hours ago, gonzoron said:

I'm confused as to your reply. College tuition and living expenses are certainly something high school students should think about in the future, but I don't feel it should matter if said high school students save the money for it through working at a job, or if a high school athlete does it through NIL

that wasn't my point....probably wasn't good with explaining myself

I didn't align 100% with your example, as there is a vast difference with a student (athlete) earning big bucks from NIL, vs the average student working in the library, cafe, etc.  The student athlete (such as football, bball, etc) starts with a full scholarship already covering tuition and boar, so the big NIL bucks is disposable income.  The avg student isn't afforded a scholarship, so any money they make working extra hours during the day is far less disposable.  

I don't disagree that people should be thinking about the future cost of an education....and probably high school is too late.

I am not at odds necessarily with the NIL....just don't see it the same for an athlete vs non-athlete, assuming the athlete is getting some or all of their education paid for by scholarship

5 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

just don't see it the same for an athlete vs non-athlete, assuming the athlete is getting some or all of their education paid for by scholarship

This would only apply at a P/P. Public high schools in Indiana don't charge tuition do they?

49 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

When all high school students are OMG! Athletes then none of them will be.

And I'm not begrudging the high school athlete who signs an NIL contract. Just don't pretend this NIL windfall will automatically go for an altruistic purpose like paying for tuition.   

Like a college athlete who signs one:

0*TgZkMYFmunxKSFgR.png

Edited by Muda69

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

And I'm not begrudging the high school athlete who signs an NIL contract. Just don't pretend this NIL windfall will automatically go for an altruistic purpose like paying for tuition. 

A high school athlete won't need to pay tuition unless he's at a P/P.

Just now, gonzoron said:

My original comment you replied to was concerning high schools.

I understand...but i am extending the benefit over college, because that are being paid NIL, not for their high school accomplishments, but more about their potential at the next level

9 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I understand...but i am extending the benefit over college, because that are being paid NIL, not for their high school accomplishments, but more about their potential at the next level

Then I'm not sure why you quoted me. My reply to Bobref concerned high school NIL's only. Not all high school athletes will be playing at the next level.

1 hour ago, gonzoron said:

A high school athlete won't need to pay tuition unless he's at a P/P.

*sigh*  I meant college/university tuition.  My apologies for not making that clear enough.

55 minutes ago, gonzoron said:

Not all high school athletes will be playing at the next level.

Then I very much doubt those high school athletes will be courted to sign a high school NIL contract.

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, DE said:

At a bar?

Yes, the Silver Dollar in Elwood

55 minutes ago, DE said:

Are you threatening me?

Absolutely not. It's an invitation to the lawsuit mediation. In the alley behind the bar at sunset.

56 minutes ago, DE said:

Are you Walter White w/ that little roller skate car?

As I explained last week, that car has been sitting there 2 years. It belonged to the last out of towner who walked into the bar. He was never seen again. When questioned about him, the patrons all said he 'was offered an NIL deal' and then 'entered the transfer portal'.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Then I'm not sure why you quoted me. My reply to Bobref concerned high school NIL's only. Not all high school athletes will be playing at the next level.

It was simply adding on to the impact of NIL isn't limited to high school....you stopped short with your comparison.  I simply stated that the comparison doesn't end in high school.

That is why I don't see an apple to apple comparison.  Just sharing an opinion on a forum.  Nothing negative intended.

4 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Yes, the Silver Dollar in Elwood

Absolutely not. It's an invitation to the lawsuit mediation. In the alley behind the bar at sunset.

As I explained last week, that car has been sitting there 2 years. It belonged to the last out of towner who walked into the bar. He was never seen again. When questioned about him, the patrons all said he 'was offered an NIL deal' and then 'entered the transfer portal'.

Oh.  Thought that might have been where you met the misses or misters.

20 minutes ago, DE said:

Oh.  Thought that might have been where you met the misses or misters.

I don't know what this gibberish means.

Do you plan to show up tomorrow? I can make a reservation. Friday nights get pretty busy in the alley.

Edited by gonzoron