Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NCAA Top 10 - Last 5 years

BTF

13 minutes ago, BTF said:

Damn Temp, you stumped me. Struggling a little bit here on the "defense wins championships" since only in 2018 was that the case since the inception of the playoff. But defense was the reason Northwestern had a pretty good team last year. 

“Defense wins meaningless bowl games.”

All this NIL and free for all transfer portals are making college football the true NFL Minor League.

@Bobref mentioned something about getting rid of age requirements of players entering the NFL draft.

Does anyone know, or care, what the CFL age requirements are?  I can see in the near future (***if possible***), HS athletes forgoing college football and going to play in Canada.

4 minutes ago, DE said:

All this NIL and free for all transfer portals are making college football the true NFL Minor League.

@Bobref mentioned something about getting rid of age requirements of players entering the NFL draft.

Does anyone know, or care, what the CFL age requirements are?  I can see in the near future (***if possible***), HS athletes forgoing college football and going to play in Canada.

It was from the thread titled, Welcome to the New World of NIL.

I may be in the minority here but the pageantry and tradition of college football is what keeps me tuned in.  The sport has a lot of flaws but walking around your favorite college campus (particularly if it’s in the Midwest) on a fall Saturday morning in anticipation of a big contest is a feeling like no other.

The names on the back of the jerseys are secondary to me honestly.  I’ll watch regardless and pay little attention to what those players end up doing on Sundays.  

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, temptation said:

I may be in the minority here but the pageantry and tradition of college football is what keeps me tuned in.  The sport has a lot of flaws but walking around your favorite college campus (particularly if it’s in the Midwest) on a fall Saturday morning in anticipation of a big contest is a feeling like no other.

The names on the back of the jerseys are secondary to me honestly.  I’ll watch regardless and pay little attention to what those players end up doing on Sundays.  

I am with you.

Money and greed ruin so many things.

1 hour ago, DE said:

All this NIL and free for all transfer portals are making college football the true NFL Minor League

Keep in mind that the ability to transfer without sitting out was a response to COVID, and is only temporary.

1 minute ago, Bobref said:

Keep in mind that the ability to transfer without sitting out was a response to COVID, and is only temporary.

Come on Bob, you and I both know, that is a rule that will stay.

I will buy you a Gatorade flavor of your choice, if the NCAA removes that rule after the virus.

9 minutes ago, DE said:

Come on Bob, you and I both know, that is a rule that will stay.

I will buy you a Gatorade flavor of your choice, if the NCAA removes that rule after the virus.

First, we’re assuming the NCAA will survive that long. It’s far from a sure thing.

Personally, I hope that they continue to allow unrestricted transfers. We’ve now completely removed the fiction of “amateurism“ from college football. If these players are not school employees (and no one wants to open that Pandora’s Box), then they are independent contractors who can work where they please. It’s the American way.

Having said that, if they don’t go back to the old rule, they’re essentially admitting that the organization is about as useful as screen doors on a submarine.

24 minutes ago, Bobref said:

First, we’re assuming the NCAA will survive that long. It’s far from a sure thing.

Personally, I hope that they continue to allow unrestricted transfers. We’ve now completely removed the fiction of “amateurism“ from college football. If these players are not school employees (and no one wants to open that Pandora’s Box), then they are independent contractors who can work where they please. It’s the American way.

Having said that, if they don’t go back to the old rule, they’re essentially admitting that the organization is about as useful as screen doors on a submarine.

Not making this about the virus, but all the "effects" are coming to an end, so yes, the NCAA will survive in this time period.

15 minutes ago, DE said:

Not making this about the virus, but all the "effects" are coming to an end, so yes, the NCAA will survive in this time period.

I think there is a real possibility that this NIL thing has holed them below the waterline, and the ship is sinking, albeit slowly.