Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2021

Irishman

I’m anxious to see how the next season plays out. Indiana is not there yet.The jury is still out on whether Indiana can parlay the recruiting ,into a season that ends with a bowl victory. This has to be the next step to validate Allen , as a program builder.  Seems like , for the last  four to six years,everyone thinks  it’s the season to break through. And then no cigar.  Not that there aren’t improvements each year,  in my evaluation.  

1 hour ago, southend said:

I’m anxious to see how the next season plays out. Indiana is not there yet.The jury is still out on whether Indiana can parlay the recruiting ,into a season that ends with a bowl victory. This has to be the next step to validate Allen , as a program builder.  Seems like , for the last  four to six years,everyone thinks  it’s the season to break through. And then no cigar.  Not that there aren’t improvements each year,  in my evaluation.  

I agree that IU needs a bowl victory in some fashion to back up their recent progress, but at the end of the day I don't think it takes away from the great lengths and progress Tom Allen has made. No longer is IU a program where simply making a bowl is a pipe dream and simply being competitive is accepted. IU has the coaching, and more importantly talent to be a consistent 7-8 game winner in the B10.

I will restate , they have made improvements each year. It is a pipe dream to win a bowl. Don’t think it isn’t. This will be the measuring stick for coach Allen this year. And at the end of the day ,it will take away the progress Tom Allen has made. If they don’t win a bowl. 

11 hours ago, southend said:

I will restate , they have made improvements each year. It is a pipe dream to win a bowl. Don’t think it isn’t. This will be the measuring stick for coach Allen this year. And at the end of the day ,it will take away the progress Tom Allen has made. If they don’t win a bowl. 

Two previous statements from Temp:

1.  While they may give some fans a warm and fuzzy feeling, bowl wins are an overrated metric in today’s era of college football.

2.  Put me down in permanent marker for under 7 wins for the Hoosiers.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Two previous statements from Temp:

1.  While they may give some fans a warm and fuzzy feeling, bowl wins are an overrated metric in today’s era of college football.

2.  Put me down in permanent marker for under 7 wins for the Hoosiers.

There are a handful of bowls where the win does matter still, like a couple of the New Year's Day games, but in large part, you are right. 

The road to improvement will not be perfect, clean or always fun to watch. For Allen, the bigger picture still matters. Now, 2 or 3 years down the road....different story. 

Who do you have them losing to? 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

There are a handful of bowls where the win does matter still, like a couple of the New Year's Day games, but in large part, you are right. 

The road to improvement will not be perfect, clean or always fun to watch. For Allen, the bigger picture still matters. Now, 2 or 3 years down the road....different story. 

Who do you have them losing to? 

Here’s how I see things:

Gimmes:  Idaho, Western Kentucky 

Leaning Win:  Michigan State, Maryland, Rutgers, Purdue

Leaning Loss:  Cincinnati, Minnesota

Likely Loss:  Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa

Willing to bet Vegas agrees with perhaps Maryland, Minnesota flipped.

49 minutes ago, southend said:

I’ll take7 wins every year. And a bowl win. Be perfectly content with Allen. 

Yep.  Know your place.

Hate to break it to IU fans but 2020 was an anomaly and not the new norm.

Were they in the Big Ten West, I might have a different outlook but the mountain is simply too high to climb in the Big Ten East.

Edited by temptation

I’m just happy to sit in row 17 section 5 and enjoy big ten football on Saturday. If Indiana knocks off PS, or OS, or Mich.  great.  Otherwise I’m still all for what’s going on. As was I with Wilson. 7 wins and bowl victory. 

• Like 2

I said this some time ago, maybe even years ago. But during the Mallory era at IU, they were on par with Wisconsin. The game was usually a toss up. In fact, when Anthony Thompson broke the conference career rushing record during the Wisconsin game, Bo Schembechler said "hell if we played Wisconsin every year, we would have the RB with the career rushing record". It was a direct slap to Anthony and the IU program as well as the Wisconsin program. 

My point is....what is the ceiling for IU? Barry Alvarez had just been the DC at Notre Dame, and he had no head coaching experience. He elevated the Wisconsin program to a regular contender for the conference title. It may be hard to visualize, but there is no reason the IU program could not reach that level. I am NOT saying they will, but for any program in the conference, the right coach can elevate their program to battle for titles. Admittedly, the East division is much tougher than the West now. There is a LOT of room for improvement. But as Southend says, I like the path they are on to this point. 

On 7/9/2021 at 3:08 PM, temptation said:

Here’s how I see things:

Gimmes:  Idaho, Western Kentucky 

Leaning Win:  Michigan State, Maryland, Rutgers, Purdue

Leaning Loss:  Cincinnati, Minnesota

Likely Loss:  Penn State, Michigan, Ohio State, Iowa

Willing to bet Vegas agrees with perhaps Maryland, Minnesota flipped.

Vegas has IU’s win total O/U at 8.

24 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Vegas has IU’s win total O/U at 8.

And if you look at the individual game spreads, they are favored in 7 of the 12.

Sept. 4 – at Iowa (Indiana +5.5)
Sept. 11 – Idaho (Indiana -32.5)
Sept. 18 – Cincinnati (Indiana +1.5)
Sept. 25 – at WKU (Indiana -21.5)
Oct. 2 – at Penn State (Indiana +6.5)
Oct. 16 – Michigan State (Indiana -16.5)
Oct. 23 – Ohio State (Indiana +11)
Oct. 30 – at Maryland (Indiana -6.5)
Nov. 6 – at Michigan (Indiana +3.5)
Nov. 13 – Rutgers (Indiana -16.5)
Nov. 20 – Minnesota (Indiana -6.5)
Nov. 27 – at Purdue (Indiana -6.5)

I say they split Minnesota and Maryland.  Not sure they have proven enough to get that much love on the road plus the Michigan State and Rutgers spreads seem high to me.

Edited by temptation

• 2 weeks later...
9 hours ago, southend said:

Man this his hype the Hoosiers are generating is paying off for recruiting,LEO. But Still hasn’t shown on the field yet. 

They went 8-5 two years ago and 6-2 last year and are now starting to see the dividends on the recruiting front. Two best winning % seasons IU’s had in 3 decades, not sure what you mean that it hasn’t shown on the field yet?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The bar has been raised, but there are still some things that have not been done yet. Beat OSU is likely highest on the short list. Getting to and winning a major bowl follow that. Beyond that, beating Michigan and Penn State in back to back season would be another step up. 

What Coach Allen and his staff has done with the current level of recruits on the roster has been outstanding.  Young men like McFadden, Fryfogle, Penix and Mullen did not come to Btown as 4 star recruits.  I believe McFadden had 2 Power 5 D1 offers. (IU & BC) Player development at IU has been off the charts.  Look how many preseason watch lists these players are on.  

Did anyone see Scott Frost's press conference at the recent Big 10 meeting?  He was either poking Fleck or Allen (perhaps both) about having catchy slogans.  Maybe he should develop something to start winning.  Man is on the hot seat and pointing out others that have done far better??  Interesting approach.

Edited by Bash Riprock
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

What Coach Allen and his staff has done with the current level of recruits on the roster has been outstanding.  Young men like McFadden, Fryfogle, Penix and Mullen did not come to Btown as 4 star recruits.  I believe McFadden had 2 Power 5 D1 offers. (IU & BC) Player development at IU has been off the charts.  Look how many preseason watch lists these players are on.  

Did anyone see Scott Frost's press conference at the recent Big 10 meeting?  He was either poking Fleck or Allen (perhaps both) about having catchy slogans.  Maybe he should develop something to start winning.  Man is on the hot seat and pointing out others that have done far better??  Interesting approach.

#LoveEveryBoat

#RowTheOne

On 7/26/2021 at 4:59 PM, Footballking16 said:

Just landed 4* RB G'Bran Payne from Cincinnati LaSalle. Chose IU over Florida, Alabama, and Northwestern.

Notre Dame, Michigan, Iowa, Penn State, Tennessee, and Wisconsin also offered. 

• 2 weeks later...

The line for Indiana is 7 1/2 wins this year. 
With a healthy QB I could win some money. And conversely.  ? 
Man the quarterback situation seems to be the Achilles heel for the Hoosiers.  After the starter, production goes to the dogs. But maybe not.