Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2021

Irishman

6 hours ago, Bobref said:

I thought that game was downright embarrassing. But it reached a new low when I was watching highlights on ESPN this morning, and they show an IU player on the sideline, #33, and “Indiana” on his jersey is misspelled “Indinia.” I mean, that’s just humiliating.

Wasn’t the only thing backwards yesterday.  I think the number next to Indiana’s name on the scoreboard would have been more accurate had it said “71” instead of “17.”

Edited by temptation
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Gipper said:

I thought Wisconsin’s offense was extremely weak.

Mertz was atrocious. And that’s putting it nicely. Feel like Wisconsin wins by at least 10 if he was on. These Week 1 matchups like Wisconsin/Penn State are tough. I would imagine both teams would have played exceptionally better had they played a mid major this week and then met in Madison next weekend.

The QB’s in the Clemson/Georgia game looked pretty bad as well. As always Bama makes playing a P5 in week 1 look easy.

Edited by Boilernation
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Bobref said:

I thought that game was downright embarrassing. But it reached a new low when I was watching highlights on ESPN this morning, and they show an IU player on the sideline, #33, and “Indiana” on his jersey is misspelled “Indinia.” I mean, that’s just humiliating.

Obviously a Purdue plot.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Boilernation said:

Mertz was atrocious. And that’s putting it nicely. Feel like Wisconsin wins by at least 10 if he was on. These Week 1 matchups like Wisconsin/Penn State are tough. I would imagine both teams would have played exceptionally better had they played a mid major this week and then met in Madison next weekend.

The QB’s in the Clemson/Georgia game looked pretty bad as well. As always Bama makes playing a P5 in week 1 look easy.

Mertz did suck, I’ll give you that.  But, Mellusi, the tailback was real solid.  

On 9/4/2021 at 6:55 PM, Irishman said:

That said, I was not really impressed with either Penn State or Wisconsin. The Wisconsin Iowa game will be for the West title. Iowa played very well today. 

That's what scares me, I don't think Iowa played all that well. Iowa had one big offensive play early, and then after that only accumulated 230 yards of offense. Petras completed < 50% of his passes and they were only 4/12 on third down. Take away the two pick sixes and the third INT right before half that gave Iowa the ball in field goal range, defense only gave up 17 points. Defense did more than enough to keep IU in the game.

Penix was bad and the offensive line was worse. Not a good combination for a guy coming off his second ACL surgery. Footwork is terrible on his drop backs and I don't think he's over the mental aspect of really planting and stepping into his throws. Everything came off his backfoot and throws were high and wide. 

It is only one game but not a huge vote of confidence going forward. Defense in my opinion is good enough to keep IU in most games this year, but they don't have a prayer if they turn the ball over at that rate and are that ineffective offensively. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

That's what scares me, I don't think Iowa played all that well. Iowa had one big offensive play early, and then after that only accumulated 230 yards of offense. Petras completed < 50% of his passes and they were only 4/12 on third down. Take away the two pick sixes and the third INT right before half that gave Iowa the ball in field goal range, defense only gave up 17 points. Defense did more than enough to keep IU in the game.

Penix was bad and the offensive line was worse. Not a good combination for a guy coming off his second ACL surgery. Footwork is terrible on his drop backs and I don't think he's over the mental aspect of really planting and stepping into his throws. Everything came off his backfoot and throws were high and wide. 

It is only one game but not a huge vote of confidence going forward. Defense in my opinion is good enough to keep IU in most games this year, but they don't have a prayer if they turn the ball over at that rate and are that ineffective offensively. 

I tend to agree.  The pick sixes make the final score look much more lopsided than it was, but to counter that there were 2-3 other passes that could have been picked off.

Feel good week for the Hoosiers with Idaho coming to town.  Then the big one against Cincinnati.

Need to get up big this weekend and give Tuttle some more snaps...the might need him sooner than they think.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, temptation said:

I tend to agree.  The pick sixes make the final score look much more lopsided than it was, but to counter that there were 2-3 other passes that could have been picked off.

Feel good week for the Hoosiers with Idaho coming to town.  Then the big one against Cincinnati.

Need to get up big this weekend and give Tuttle some more snaps...the might need him sooner than they think.

I love Penix to death and he has the arm talent to stretch defenses like no other QB on the roster can, but he's useless if he's relegated to the pocket and can't complete a high percentage of passes. Add in turnovers and it really doesn't matter what the defense does.

I don't think Tuttle is a QB who is going to go out and win you 8-9 games, but he certainly isn't going to lose you that many either. Unless IU has an epiphany on the offensive line, going to need a QB who can make plays with his legs and keep the chains moving with his accuracy. 

Also lost in all this is how unprepared IU looked from the very first play. IU gave up a pretty decent kick off return to start the game and were completely unaligned on the long touchdown run a few plays later. Love what Tom Allen has done to turn the program around and to this day has deserved every penny he's gotten, but #LEO and all this rah-rah is only going to last for so long. It's a lot easier to ruin 12 months of momentum than it is to create. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Also lost in all this is how unprepared IU looked from the very first play. IU gave up a pretty decent kick off return to start the game and were completely unaligned on the long touchdown run a few plays later. Love what Tom Allen has done to turn the program around and to this day has deserved every penny he's gotten, but #LEO and all this rah-rah is only going to last for so long. It's a lot easier to ruin 12 months of momentum than it is to create. 

Still pegging this as a 6-7 win outfit.  The Cincinnati game will tell a lot in determining the rest of the season.  Win that one, and they could be right back on track.  Lose it and who knows.

I know its only one week but the Maryland/Michigan State/Rutgers games could possibly be more difficult than anticipated.  Minnesota, on the other hand might be a bit easier now that their stud tailback is done for the year.

I never had them beating Michigan, Penn State or Ohio State to begin with but the possibilities are endless in the other games.

Edited by temptation

16 minutes ago, temptation said:

Still pegging this as a 6-7 win outfit.  The Cincinnati game will tell a lot in determining the rest of the season.  Win that one, and they could be right back on track.  Lose it and who knows.

I know its only one week but the Maryland/Michigan State/Rutgers games could possibly be more difficult than anticipated.  Minnesota, on the other hand might be a bit easier now that their stud tailback is done for the year.

I never had them beating Michigan, Penn State or Ohio State to begin with but the possibilities are endless in the other games.

I had em 9-3, split Iowa/Cincy (thought Cincy would be tougher game), losses at Penn State, and Ohio State. Beat Cincy and they're still on track. Tall task though, IU going to need to score a ton against Cincy to win that game and have little confidence. Michigan looked good against a pretty decent MAC team but still think jury out on them. 

Rutgers/Maryland/Michigan aren't slouches but games I still think IU should win. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Still pegging this as a 6-7 win outfit.  

I forgot all about that conversation. You're off to a good start. Did you keep receipts on that one? I think I said 8+. 

Either way, starting the season at Iowa would be a tough task for anyone not named Alabama. I still think Indiana has a good team and that last year wasn't a fluke. 

49 minutes ago, BTF said:

I forgot all about that conversation. You're off to a good start. Did you keep receipts on that one? I think I said 8+. 

Either way, starting the season at Iowa would be a tough task for anyone not named Alabama. I still think Indiana has a good team and that last year wasn't a fluke. 

I always keep receipts.  You claimed 8 wins.

No surprise THAT they lost at Iowa but HOW they lost at Iowa would concern me as an IU fan.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I always keep receipts.  You claimed 8 wins.

No surprise THAT they lost at Iowa but HOW they lost at Iowa would concern me as an IU fan.

It wasn't pretty. But now they HAVE to beat Cincinnati and Michigan State at home to hit that 8 mark. I won't hold my breath on the road at Michigan and Penn State. Ohio State at home will be a tall task as well. I don't see Minnesota at home being a gimme by any stretch. Honestly, they could finish this schedule 6-6 and still be considered a pretty good football team. I'm not going to waiver though...........they'll hit that eight mark 🤔.

38 minutes ago, BTF said:

It wasn't pretty. But now they HAVE to beat Cincinnati and Michigan State at home to hit that 8 mark. I won't hold my breath on the road at Michigan and Penn State. Ohio State at home will be a tall task as well. I don't see Minnesota at home being a gimme by any stretch. Honestly, they could finish this schedule 6-6 and still be considered a pretty good football team. I'm not going to waiver though...........they'll hit that eight mark 🤔.

FWIW, ESPN’s FPI updated this AM and has IU most likely at 5-7…if you believe in that sorta thing.

I can’t disagree with you guys. But I have no confidence in this team,  including last year, and the program over all.  The team is quirky and has been for several  years. There has very little consistency. The only consistency is the rotation of coaches every year starting in the Wilson era. Winning 6 or 7 is about what the team is capable of right now this season, and I don’t think there is any correlation from last year. 
I think they can win about as much as I think they can lose. 

Hopefully they adjust and get some mojo back with the Idaho game.  If not, Cincy could be a mess, and it won't get much easier.

Penix looked really out of sorts with missing reads and just not with it.  The underhand toss over by the sideline when flushed out of the pocket was especially nice.....how about just flick the ball like a normal forward pass out of bounds??  Throwing into double coverage, while missing the open receiver...my favorite was throwing it into the running back's back, while he was engaged in a block.  Penix looked like a true freshman.

O coordinator is taking the blame.  We shall see. 

Let's hope it was a one game poopfest and they will turn it around.  If not, it may be time to develop the youngster.....

https://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2021/08/09/indiana-football-likes-what-sees-donaven-mcculley/5510003001/

On 9/12/2021 at 10:37 AM, temptation said:

Prepping for the “see what Iowa did yesterday” spin.

”We lost to a top 5 team.”

Saw what Iowa did, still not overly impressed with the Hawkeyes. If they are a top 5 team, college football is considerably down. Iowa has 476 yards of offense through 2 games and their QB is completing 50% of his passes. They are a well-disciplined and coached team and they have a very stout defense that will be good all year, but they've been just as fortuitous as they've been good. I have them with 3 INT's off tipped balls where defenders simply were in the right spot at the right time and 3 defensive TD's. That is simply an unattainable rate and will surely regress towards the mean as the season progresses. Iowa's offense at some point this year is going to have to win them a game, maybe a few, and their offense has been very average.