Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2021

Irishman

On 9/12/2021 at 12:56 PM, southend said:

Was not my intention, but your suggestion is a lot better! By the way, what about that? The hawks D has taken it up a notch or two this year. And with that in mind, the offense doesn't need to do  too much to win the game.

Indiana should be taking notes.

That was IU's MO all of last year. Very stout and fortuitous defense that turned their opponents over at an extremely high rate that just simply isn't attainable over the long haul. IU's defense is good enough to keep them in most games this year, but they aren't going to win many if they turn the ball over and can't sustain drives. 

I agree with both here. With out a consistent running attack this year, they will die on the vine depending on their QB to throw. Indiana has a decent Defense this year, but they cant be as effective if they are out on the field all the time. 

Indiana will have to have the whole play book ready against Cincinnati. It was obvious last saturday ,playing Idaho, Indiana didnt want to give the Bearcats any film to look at. I also think this is a pressure game for the Hoosiers.They have to show up here. 

11 hours ago, southend said:

I agree with both here. With out a consistent running attack this year, they will die on the vine depending on their QB to throw. Indiana has a decent Defense this year, but they cant be as effective if they are out on the field all the time. 

Indiana will have to have the whole play book ready against Cincinnati. It was obvious last saturday ,playing Idaho, Indiana didnt want to give the Bearcats any film to look at. I also think this is a pressure game for the Hoosiers.They have to show up here. 

Still don't know what to make of this Cincinnati outfit either however.  I don't think they are a top 10 team but clearly a top 25 team.  Does the fact that they were tied at halftime with Murray State last weekend mean they too were holding back and keeping it vanilla?  Time will tell.

26 minutes ago, temptation said:

Still don't know what to make of this Cincinnati outfit either however.  I don't think they are a top 10 team but clearly a top 25 team.  Does the fact that they were tied at halftime with Murray State last weekend mean they too were holding back and keeping it vanilla?  Time will tell.

I think they're very well-coached and have some serious individual talent. IU is going to have to play extremely well to win this game. 

On 9/7/2021 at 10:24 AM, temptation said:

Still pegging this as a 6-7 win outfit.  The Cincinnati game will tell a lot in determining the rest of the season.  Win that one, and they could be right back on track.  Lose it and who knows.

I know its only one week but the Maryland/Michigan State/Rutgers games could possibly be more difficult than anticipated.  Minnesota, on the other hand might be a bit easier now that their stud tailback is done for the year.

I never had them beating Michigan, Penn State or Ohio State to begin with but the possibilities are endless in the other games.

ESPN has updated its FPI and predicts a 4-8 campaign for the Hoosiers.  It’s funny how things can change so quickly.  

Vegas had them as double digit favorites over Michigan State over the summer, and that now looks like a much tougher game.

Minnesota seems to be figuring things out as they went on the road yesterday and shut out a Colorado team that played Texas A&M to a tight game.

Penn State, Rutgers, Michigan and Maryland are all 3-0 and Ohio State will still be Ohio State eventually.

Purdue and Western Kentucky may be the only contests left in which they are favored…

On 9/19/2021 at 7:29 AM, southend said:

press conference more or less confirmed QB change. And deservedly so.

I was there Saturday...great atmosphere...first sell out against a non-conference team since 1987. It was a shame to not to capitalize on the crowd excitement.  Keys I noticed:

• Micah McFadden going out on a questionable targeting call was a killer.  No points for Cincy to that point...after that, no issues with scoring.  Can one guy make that much difference on D?  Not sure, but I do know Cincy smartly began running the ball up the middle and off tackle with success.  They weren't prior.
  • Very predictable offense....all game long run up the gut on 1st down.  Cincy smartly would stack the box.  The IU and Penix were put in 2nd and 3rd and long situations.  Not Penix's strength.
  • IU offensive scheme is trying to turn Penix into a pocket passer.  Perhaps that is due to injury concerns.  But let's be honest...he's not a drop back passer.  He's a really good RPO guy.  He seems lost in his reads.
  • IU offensive does not make it easy for him...a lot of long passes.  Have they forgotten a play called a screen?
  • IU receivers, especially Fryfogle dropping very catchable passes.  Some of them Saturday were back breakers.  Fryfogle ran his mouth pre-season saying he's one of the best receivers in college ball.  Shut up and let your play speak for itself...because right now it is.  Thank goodness for the Matthews transfer from Florida State.
  • 4 trips into the red zone...no points.  Up 14-0 and stopped on 4th and 1....ran a predictable off tackle play.  Take the chip shot and points...go up 3 scores 17-0.  Fumble on the 3 yd line in the 4th quarter was inexcusable.

I hear Penix is injured....its probably time for Tuttle...maybe even get Donovan some snaps...WKU game is the perfect time.

This was a very winnable game....very winnable.  And I agree...it gets way more difficult in the Big 10 East.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I was there Saturday...great atmosphere...first sell out against a non-conference team since 1987. It was a shame to not to capitalize on the crowd excitement.  Keys I noticed:

• Micah McFadden going out on a questionable targeting call was a killer.  No points for Cincy to that point...after that, no issues with scoring.  Can one guy make that much difference on D?  Not sure, but I do know Cincy smartly began running the ball up the middle and off tackle with success.  They weren't prior.
  • Very predictable offense....all game long run up the gut on 1st down.  Cincy smartly would stack the box.  The IU and Penix were put in 2nd and 3rd and long situations.  Not Penix's strength.
  • IU offensive scheme is trying to turn Penix into a pocket passer.  Perhaps that is due to injury concerns.  But let's be honest...he's not a drop back passer.  He's a really good RPO guy.  He seems lost in his reads.
  • IU offensive does not make it easy for him...a lot of long passes.  Have they forgotten a play called a screen?
  • IU receivers, especially Fryfogle dropping very catchable passes.  Some of them Saturday were back breakers.  Fryfogle ran his mouth pre-season saying he's one of the best receivers in college ball.  Shut up and let your play speak for itself...because right now it is.  Thank goodness for the Matthews transfer from Florida State.
  • 4 trips into the red zone...no points.  Up 14-0 and stopped on 4th and 1....ran a predictable off tackle play.  Take the chip shot and points...go up 3 scores 17-0.  Fumble on the 3 yd line in the 4th quarter was inexcusable.

I hear Penix is injured....its probably time for Tuttle...maybe even get Donovan some snaps...WKU game is the perfect time.

This was a very winnable game....very winnable.  And I agree...it gets way more difficult in the Big 10 East.

Agree with everything. What's disappointing is that IU's defense has played well enough where they could very easily be 3-0 and in the top 10 in the country. I'm over the Penix experience and while I really want to put the blame on him I can't. This 1-2 start falls on Tom Allen. Offensive coordinator is incompetent. Special Teams coordinator is incompetent. Teams is mentally fragile (turnovers/penalties/mental lapses) and that is all an extension of coaching. Respect the hell out of Allen for getting to the point of national recognition, but he's lost on the sidelines. He's seemingly outcoached in just about every big ball game. 

• Like 1

Coaching consistency is the culprit, for the most part, in the last 8 or more years. You can go down the list over these years and document all the assistant coaches that have put in (their 1 or 2)years here. Going back to coach Wilson’s first year to where we are now. New running backs coach ,offensive coordinator. Retaining these guys used to be a money problem. But starting with the hire of Allen as an assistant, money has been available. Constantly putting in new philosophies for the athletes is a big deterrent to progressing to the next level. 
Yes you say, all programs go thru this revolving scenario. While true, not to this extent and if so, they are in a similar boat as Indiana.
While I lean on the “head coach “for responsibility here, l on the other hand can see why the next level seems unreachable,  and not completely controllable on the short term by Allen ,with the on and off philosophies of every new coach change. The consistency isn’t there  

Im not saying some day the next level will not be reached, its just not going to happen in a revolving coaches door situation very fast. 

43 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Agree with everything. What's disappointing is that IU's defense has played well enough where they could very easily be 3-0 and in the top 10 in the country. I'm over the Penix experience and while I really want to put the blame on him I can't. This 1-2 start falls on Tom Allen. Offensive coordinator is incompetent. Special Teams coordinator is incompetent. Teams is mentally fragile (turnovers/penalties/mental lapses) and that is all an extension of coaching. Respect the hell out of Allen for getting to the point of national recognition, but he's lost on the sidelines. He's seemingly outcoached in just about every big ball game. 

Great points...I left out the special teams.  That 99yd kickoff return was also a killer.  That was an omission to my list.

Sometimes it seems IU goes to a lot of effort to lose a ball game.......

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Great points...I left out the special teams.  That 99yd kickoff return was also a killer.  That was an omission to my list.

Sometimes it seems IU goes to a lot of effort to lose a ball game.......

Also prior to the KO return, IU defense forced a FG attempt on a 4th and 6 up 14-10 but lined up over the center that negated the try and gave Cincy a 4th and short inside the 20 which they ultimately converted and eventually scored a TD. That was a 4 point swing. Add that along with the KO return as well as Penix last INT that was returned inside the 5 yard line and that's 17 points directly caused by the offense/special teams. That's the difference in the ball game right there and that's not even considering IU going 0-3 red zone with zero points to show for it. Defense did more than enough for IU to win going away. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Also prior to the KO return, IU defense forced a FG attempt on a 4th and 6 up 14-10 but lined up over the center that negated the try and gave Cincy a 4th and short inside the 20 which they ultimately converted and eventually scored a TD. That was a 4 point swing. Add that along with the KO return as well as Penix last INT that was returned inside the 5 yard line and that's 17 points directly caused by the offense/special teams. That's the difference in the ball game right there and that's not even considering IU going 0-3 red zone with zero points to show for it. Defense did more than enough for IU to win going away. 

Great comment about lining up over the center...sad part, it almost happened again later in the game.  Thomas Allen prior to the snap and to physically push the DT in front of him over off the center...pretty much pushed the lineman down to prevent another penalty.  Not sure if same person from the first penalty.

Anybody doubling down on 8 wins?

9?

10?

This team is who most rational people knew they were.  A beneficiary of a Covid year with zero crowds, player opt outs and fool’s gold.

Allen is good coach, talent developer and a solid motivator, but that’s where it ends.

Be happy with bowl eligibility annually.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, temptation said:

Anybody doubling down on 8 wins?

9?

10?

This team is who most rational people knew they were.  A beneficiary of a Covid year with zero crowds, player opt outs and fool’s gold.

Allen is good coach, talent developer and a solid motivator, but that’s where it ends.

Be happy with bowl eligibility annually.

IU’s getting a lack of production from the one guy who has been a cornerstone for the last two seasons. I’m not shocked that IU is 1-2, I’m shocked at the reason why IU is 1-2. Defense is playing more than good enough to where if Penix does somehow figure it out, they’ll be a tough out from here on out. 

50 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

IU’s getting a lack of production from the one guy who has been a cornerstone for the last two seasons. I’m not shocked that IU is 1-2, I’m shocked at the reason why IU is 1-2. Defense is playing more than good enough to where if Penix does somehow figure it out, they’ll be a tough out from here on out. 

Sure but as I stated…AT LEAST 3 games left on the schedule (PSU, MSU, Michigan) that now appear MUCH tougher than originally anticipated.  

Not too far fetched to say the same about Maryland and Rutgers also.  

Minnesota just went out and shut out a Colorado State team (that had Texas A&M on the ropes) 30-0.

OSU will still end up as OSU and boredom is their biggest obstacle in October.

I think my original prediction of under 6.5 wins is sitting damn pretty right now.  Purdue game might be for bowl eligibility.  

After WKU, not ONE guaranteed win left on the schedule.

Edited by temptation

13 hours ago, temptation said:

Minnesota just went out and shut out a Colorado State team (that had Texas A&M on the ropes) 30-0.

Uh...Technically Colorado Buffaloes from the Pac 12.  But we all understood and hard to disagree.  Going to be very tough for IU remainder of the season