Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2021

Irishman

8 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

IU only giving up 9 in Bowling Green. I would take Western Kentucky straight up on the money line  if I were still a Bachelor and didn't have to explain a potential monetary loss to the spouse. Gut feeling the woes continue on the road against a non P5 viewing this as a huge game.

Yikes.  Don't know much about WKU except that they are usually decent and make a late December bowl game.  If the Hoosiers don't win this Saturday, just cancel the rest of the season.

Carr had a great first half running the ball. Penix had several good passes; but once they were up 14-0, they started taking too many deep shots instead of moving the chains; which is what got them to the 14-0 lead. Defense started out great too, but look lost since late in the 2nd quarter. WKU is doing whatever they want offensively. 

Losing Matthews hurts them, and from the looks of it, he will be out for a while. 

19 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Carr had a great first half running the ball. Penix had several good passes; but once they were up 14-0, they started taking too many deep shots instead of moving the chains; which is what got them to the 14-0 lead. Defense started out great too, but look lost since late in the 2nd quarter. WKU is doing whatever they want offensively. 

Losing Matthews hurts them, and from the looks of it, he will be out for a while. 

It’s funny, the games we should win going away turn out to be real shootouts.  Purdue lucked out earlier today, hopefully IU can escape with a W.

Still not convinced Penix is the guy…

Edited by Gipper
  • Like 1

IU wins, but some injuries are worrisome. They will have to play better in all phases next week. Gotta know that this is one of the game Penn State has been waiting for. 

All that said; Western KY is a good team. That offense is something when it gets in rhythm. 

10 hours ago, Gipper said:

It’s funny, the games we should win going away turn out to be real shootouts.  Purdue lucked out earlier today, hopefully IU can escape with a W.

Still not convinced Penix is the guy…

Physically Penix is alright.  He seems to have some problems with selecting his receivers.  His overall game just lacks something.

Penix is way off...and he has not been on all year. Much like Kelly sticking with Coan; Allen has stuck with Penix too long here. The defense is keeping this from being really ugly. But they are not playing great.  But Penix is just 8 of 19 throwing. While he had two good passes on the drive that ended with a pick, but good throws get more yardage if he hits them in stride. The out and up could have been a TD if he leads the receiver. The interception was a horrible throw. He really looks like he struggling to put anything on the ball. What hurts them more is he is absolutely no threat to run the ball, so run plays are obvious when you have just one RB on the field. 

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Penix is way off...and he has not been on all year. Much like Kelly sticking with Coan; Allen has stuck with Penix too long here. The defense is keeping this from being really ugly. But they are not playing great.  But Penix is just 8 of 19 throwing. While he had two good passes on the drive that ended with a pick, but good throws get more yardage if he hits them in stride. The out and up could have been a TD if he leads the receiver. The interception was a horrible throw. He really looks like he struggling to put anything on the ball. What hurts them more is he is absolutely no threat to run the ball, so run plays are obvious when you have just one RB on the field. 

Where are all of those 8-9 win posters?

3 hours ago, Irishman said:

Considering how long IU’s defense was on the field (35 minutes) I thought they played very well. The offense is just a continuation of last year…. zero running attack and a pocket passer that can’t run. It’s going to be 4-6 more recruiting classes before this thing gets totally fixed, but they will get there.

On a side note, not impressed with Penn State. I don’t think they can beat Iowa or OSU, maybe only split the Michigan schools. I guess we’ll find out starting next week.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, temptation said:

Where are all of those 8-9 win posters?

The Hype after last season was to over whelming for some. I’m still satisfied with 6 or 7 wins.This schedule is brutal, I might add. Who guessed that Iowa and Cincinnati would be hammers? Sure wasn’t the ratings people. Pennsylvania state was a given. Even Western Kentucky is a real decent team. So the injury bug will be a factor here on out. The depth chart still isn’t where it needs to be for Indiana to win 8-9 games with this kind of schedule. 7 would be great and 6 is okay. We will be bowl bound.

2 hours ago, southend said:

The Hype after last season was to over whelming for some. I’m still satisfied with 6 or 7 wins.This schedule is brutal, I might add. Who guessed that Iowa and Cincinnati would be hammers? Sure wasn’t the ratings people. Pennsylvania state was a given. Even Western Kentucky is a real decent team. So the injury bug will be a factor here on out. The depth chart still isn’t where it needs to be for Indiana to win 8-9 games with this kind of schedule. 7 would be great and 6 is okay. We will be bowl bound.

Michigan State had little issue with Western KY yesterday. I’m not sure if IU will be favored in another game this season if they don’t turn this offense around. I can’t tell is the offense is predictable because of the limitations of the O Coord, limitations of the QB, or both. 

3 hours ago, southend said:

Hype will do that to you.  Win 8+ games for a couple of years and you think you’re invincible.  Hardly the case is most situations…

Both IU and Purdue have some serious work to do, but it’s not too late.

Not that I am into moral victories at all because losses are still losses, but look at the rankings of the teams they lost to. The Iowa game is really the only one of those that they just got whipped in all phases. Depth is the issues as guys are getting banged up, and that will take a couple years at least to build up. 

1 minute ago, southend said:

Bash, I think the former ,offensive coordinator. But I’m not privy to that. Just opinion. Seem like last year the offense was a lot more diverse and unpredictable.  Maybe that’s the reason last years man isn’t here.

I think it goes back to Penix being a threat to run last season, and not a threat this season. Even with Tuttle in the game last night being able to run the ball, they were able to gain some yards on the ground. 

Stated this ever since last spring and once the Hoosiers received preseason hype from nearly every direction…and now it’s coming to fruition.

2020 was the perfect storm for the Hoosiers (elite conference teams having key opt outs, lack of crowds, etc) and that they’d return to normalcy in 2021…which is exactly what’s happening.

They are a cute 6 win bowl eligible team annually, nothing more.

4 hours ago, temptation said:

Stated this ever since last spring and once the Hoosiers received preseason hype from nearly every direction…and now it’s coming to fruition.

2020 was the perfect storm for the Hoosiers (elite conference teams having key opt outs, lack of crowds, etc) and that they’d return to normalcy in 2021…which is exactly what’s happening.

They are a cute 6 win bowl eligible team annually, nothing more.

Don’t hurt your arm

• Haha 1

I refer to this often, and saw this ad this weekend. Look at how empty Camp Randall is for a home game in the clips. Wisconsin was a regular cellar dweller with IU for a lot of years. So, what did Alvarez do? he permanently fixed the trajectory of the program. Sure they are down, but no one here doubts they will be better soon, right? So, what is it that he was able to do that IU is missing? Or does IU have the pieces in place to follow a similar path that worked for Wisconsin? 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/qLii/university-of-wisconsin-madison-unstoppable 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I refer to this often, and saw this ad this weekend. Look at how empty Camp Randall is for a home game in the clips. Wisconsin was a regular cellar dweller with IU for a lot of years. So, what did Alvarez do? he permanently fixed the trajectory of the program. Sure they are down, but no one here doubts they will be better soon, right? So, what is it that he was able to do that IU is missing? Or does IU have the pieces in place to follow a similar path that worked for Wisconsin? 

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/qLii/university-of-wisconsin-madison-unstoppable 

So true Irish...I remember going to an IU vs Wisconsin game at Memorial Stadium as a kid back in the Corso years and IU shut out Wisconsin 24-0.  Wisconsin's best attribute back then was the marching band they brought with them.  Alvarez really changed the culture of that program.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

So true Irish...I remember going to an IU vs Wisconsin game at Memorial Stadium as a kid back in the Corso years and IU shut out Wisconsin 24-0.  Wisconsin's best attribute back then was the marching band they brought with them.  Alvarez really changed the culture of that program.

I also wonder too how some programs can bounce back so much faster than others. Penn State is a prime example. After facing the harshest punishment, deservedly so, a program can face, they are once again a top 5 team. Michigan State seems to be a much more competitive team after a few years of battling on about the same level as IU. If someone says those programs have more tradition, I say you have to go pretty far back to find it; to a point that young kids will not make it a consideration. 

5 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I also wonder too how some programs can bounce back so much faster than others. Penn State is a prime example. After facing the harshest punishment, deservedly so, a program can face, they are once again a top 5 team. Michigan State seems to be a much more competitive team after a few years of battling on about the same level as IU. If someone says those programs have more tradition, I say you have to go pretty far back to find it; to a point that young kids will not make it a consideration. 

• Like 1