Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2021

Irishman

34 minutes ago, BTF said:

I wouldn't call it a sham. They had good quarterback play, that was the difference. Isn't that what held Michigan back for several years?

Good quarterback play is essential and while you are correct, there were many other variables at play.

1.  The more and more data we see in 2021 leads me to believe that 2020 was an anomaly for more than just the Hoosiers.

2.  The lack of crowds (environment is the number one difference between the pro/collegiate game) benefited certain teams.  These are 18-22 year old kids who thrive on emotion.  Take it away and all bets are off.

3.  Both Penn State and Michigan had key opt outs last season and their return to the top ten this season proves they were a shell of themselves in 2020.  (No fault of the Hoosiers but still a fact.)

All week long I’ve heard how Indiana gave Ohio State a great game in the horseshoe last year, hell I heard it all summer.  The reason I bring that up is that folks projected that into their chances this fall.  It hasn’t worked out that way.

Like I said above, Indiana will find ways to score against Ohio State but the 2020 result was more attributed to the Buckeyes taking their foot off the gas more so than IU closing the gap.

Edited by temptation

Well it’s D-Day for the Hoosiers. I hope they give a good account of themselves. Not remotely optimistic about a win, but I sure would like to see the offense solve some problems ,for the remainder if their schedule. Then finish on an upbeat. Man it must be hard right now to be in a positive frame of mind. Like a multiple time NCAA champion basketball coach said for college athletes, the mental too the physical is as 4 is to 1.

10 hours ago, southend said:

Well it’s D-Day for the Hoosiers. I hope they give a good account of themselves. Not remotely optimistic about a win, but I sure would like to see the offense solve some problems ,for the remainder if their schedule. Then finish on an upbeat. Man it must be hard right now to be in a positive frame of mind. Like a multiple time NCAA champion basketball coach said for college athletes, the mental too the physical is as 4 is to 1.

Eh…

Ouch……visiting family in Wisconsin and just saw the score. That is brutal. The one thing that is noticeable with Ryan Day compared to even Urban Meyer……..Day knows how to get his team to bury a team like IU, where it always felt like Meyer’s teams were just as superior….they played just well enough to pull off a win in most years. 

19 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Ouch……visiting family in Wisconsin and just saw the score. That is brutal. The one thing that is noticeable with Ryan Day compared to even Urban Meyer……..Day knows how to get his team to bury a team like IU, where it always felt like Meyer’s teams were just as superior….they played just well enough to pull off a win in most years. 

Indiana has to find a QB in the transfer portal or two. 

Indiana's defense is good IMO but not good enough to completely stop Ohio State but good enough to stop them at times but since IU's offense is so bad and going 3 and out. IU's defense is on the field non stop. 

Indiana has to sustain drives and their terrible QB play and offensive line woes doesn't allow them to do that. 

Edited by WalterSobchak

48 minutes ago, WalterSobchak said:

Indiana's defense is good IMO but not good enough to completely stop Ohio State but good enough to stop them at times but since IU's offense is so bad and going 3 and out. IU's defense is on the field non stop. 

Indiana has to sustain drives and their terrible QB play and offensive line woes doesn't allow them to do that. 

Spencer Rattler comes to mind. 

Man the caliber of opponents this year and the added high school play calling by Indiana has done the team morale in. Could not have been a better perfect storm to doom this team. From the first game ass kicking, Allen was never able to put the team back on track, grasping for straws all the way. 
And to think temptation was saying they would win 6 or 7 games. He must have reach for the wrong pipe. 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, WalterSobchak said:

Drew Pyne from Notre Dame would look good in red. Barring injury to Tyler Buchner, he’s not going to play next year. What I don’t know is whether he’ll have to sit a year, or whether the COVID exception is still in effect.

Indiana needs more than a good QB. They have QB’s that the coaching staff recruited. They need to use who they offered scholarships to. It’s not players,they need a Coach who knows how to call a game , and set up an offense that will work and be successful. And I’m not talking about WINS here. Sheridan is in way over his head, and it is more glaring every game. Essentially the same players back from last year and look at them now. A shell of what they were in wins or losses this year. 

On 7/9/2021 at 11:21 AM, Footballking16 said:

Where do I sign?

Here works.

On 7/11/2021 at 4:52 PM, Footballking16 said:

I think they go 9-3

Losses: OSU, Penn State, 1 of Cincy/Iowa

9 wins over the next two years combined seems realistic.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, southend said:

Man the caliber of opponents this year and the added high school play calling by Indiana has done the team morale in. Could not have been a better perfect storm to doom this team. From the first game ass kicking, Allen was never able to put the team back on track, grasping for straws all the way. 
And to think temptation was saying they would win 6 or 7 games. He must have reach for the wrong pipe. 

High school play calling? Sheridan called the O last season too lol. 

Penix threw 2 pick sixes against Iowa and threw 3 picks against Cinnci...better QB probably means Iowa is a closer game, Cinnci is probably a win. 

QB play is killing them right now. Tuttle going out killed IU big time offensively. 

17 minutes ago, WalterSobchak said:

Penix threw 2 pick sixes against Iowa and threw 3 picks against Cinnci...better QB probably means Iowa is a closer game, Cinnci is probably a win. 

QB play is killing them right now. Tuttle going out killed IU big time offensively. 

Yes, with good QB play last night they only lose 54-17.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, WalterSobchak said:

You maybe right , Sheridan could be classified as a hot commodity with this kind of play calling. I get it now, thanks. 
So, let me get this straight ,Allen needs to up the ante next year for this coach to try to fend off the big school offers?

15 hours ago, WalterSobchak said:

Don't disagree about QB play...but IU (as big as they are on the O line) was manhandled on the LOS on both sides of the ball.  Manhandled.  The hit that knocked out Tuttle....wow.  Drove his head into the helmet of his one of his OLineman being pushed back there with the QB.  While I will not defend IU QB play, they have lots of issues on that OL.

8 minutes ago, psaboy said:

Hoosiers probably have the toughest schedule in B1G and maybe country. Playing 6 teams in or near the top ten rankings at different points of the season. I think is time to move away from Penix. 

Just one week ago, ESPN had it rated as the toughest schedule. 

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Tweet 们 Jeff Rabjohns Retweeted Ken Bikoff @kbikoff As it stands this week, IU will have lost to the Nos. 2, 5, and 11 teams in the country. IU's opponents have a combined record of 30-3 so far this year. It's brutal. The rest of the schedule has a combined record of 23-12, and seven of those wins are from Michigan. #IUFB 8:36 PM 10/23/21 TweetDeck'

20 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Just one week ago, ESPN had it rated as the toughest schedule. 

May be an image of 1 person and text that says 'Tweet 们 Jeff Rabjohns Retweeted Ken Bikoff @kbikoff As it stands this week, IU will have lost to the Nos. 2, 5, and 11 teams in the country. IU's opponents have a combined record of 30-3 so far this year. It's brutal. The rest of the schedule has a combined record of 23-12, and seven of those wins are from Michigan. #IUFB 8:36 PM 10/23/21 TweetDeck'

I think this would be more applicable had those 5 losses been close.  Three of them were absolute bloodbaths.  

The Hoosiers have been outscored 170-52 in those 5 contests…

22 minutes ago, temptation said:

I think this would be more applicable had those 5 losses been close.  Three of them were absolute bloodbaths.  

The Hoosiers have been outscored 170-52 in those 5 contests…

Yep, They hung their hat on Penix and rightfully so. But he is an injury waiting to happen and he knows that and plays that way. 

McCulley had a solid game, but still has work to do....Once again, lack of depth hurts them, especially on defense. Over 400 yards passing and 29 first downs given up is not good. After all that went wrong, IU still had chances. 

McCulley HAS to be the go to the rest of the way now. Announcers mentioned they hoped to get Penix back, but at this point, for his own sake, He does not need to play again this season. I know he is a red shirt junior, but as we have all seen, he is not the same player he was. 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

McCulley had a solid game, but still has work to do....Once again, lack of depth hurts them, especially on defense. Over 400 yards passing and 29 first downs given up is not good. After all that went wrong, IU still had chances. 

McCulley HAS to be the go to the rest of the way now. Announcers mentioned they hoped to get Penix back, but at this point, for his own sake, He does not need to play again this season. I know he is a red shirt junior, but as we have all seen, he is not the same player he was. 

I agree.  Stay with McCulley and he is your starter for the next 3 seasons.  Iu is not as good as its record indicated last year and not as bad as this years record looks.  They are basically a 5 to 7 win team in the current environment.

Allen parlayed his one great season into a 3.5M contract.  Good for him.  IU brass was bamboozled.  

All the way around you can see the lack of depth for this program, and has been this way for the last 3or 4 coaching changes. Before Wilson. 
They can and usually do stay with the good teams for 2 to 3 quarters then boom, they get wore down. 
This year they haven’t been  quite as strong, but then again the strength of schedule is crazy.  
I’m glad Allen got a big contract, the last thing the program needs is a new head coach. 
Onto the next game.

38 minutes ago, southend said:

All the way around you can see the lack of depth for this program, and has been this way for the last 3or 4 coaching changes. Before Wilson. 
They can and usually do stay with the good teams for 2 to 3 quarters then boom, they get wore down. 
This year they haven’t been  quite as strong, but then again the strength of schedule is crazy.  
I’m glad Allen got a big contract, the last thing the program needs is a new head coach. 
Onto the next game.

I agree that IU just doesn't have the depth.  Next man up just isn't good enough this year.