Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IU 2021

Irishman

30 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

I agree that IU just doesn't have the depth.  Next man up just isn't good enough this year.  

Coming into the season all I heard was that they had 18 returning starters.  

Combine that with Allen recruiting better and you can’t develop depth?

Maybe they just weren’t that good last year after all?

I’m of the belief that Indiana was the same last year as they are this year. No significant fall off in my eyes.QB problems, a few linemen hurt during season, not a very good running attack, a few defensive back injuries. The difference isn’t in Indiana , it’s the competition that has changed significantly from last year. 
This ,with the fact that while Allen has been working to improve the quality of recruits, they do not get four and five star recruits not un like Purdue. This is critical for The Hoosiers to keep their heads above water. A little peak last year a little valley this year. But let’s let the year play out and hopefully it doesn’t just kill recruiting. 

13 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Tough loss for the Hoosiers today.  Third string freshman QB McCulley had a decent day but the defense wasn't up to par.

that is what made yesterday so tough.  McCulley had a nice start and one can see potential. Hendershot was fantastic, and team rushed for over 200 yds.  (realize 66yds was a single play)  Put 35 points on the board....and still lost.

Defense, so highly spoken of this season, was bad...really bad.  Very little pass rush and the DB's were toast.  Tago threw for 419 yds...seriously?  Allen's claim to fame is defense.....

Each week, seems like the same old, same old.  A side of the ball decides to take a crap...and there is always, and I mean always an excuse.  

Its Power 5 football....fix it or get blasted.  No one cares about excuses.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

that is what made yesterday so tough.  McCulley had a nice start and one can see potential. Hendershot was fantastic, and team rushed for over 200 yds.  (realize 66yds was a single play)  Put 35 points on the board....and still lost.

Defense, so highly spoken of this season, was bad...really bad.  Very little pass rush and the DB's were toast.  Tago threw for 419 yds...seriously?  Allen's claim to fame is defense.....

Each week, seems like the same old, same old.  A side of the ball decides to take a crap...and there is always, and I mean always an excuse.  

Its Power 5 football....fix it or get blasted.  No one cares about excuses.

Lol

14 hours ago, southend said:

I’m of the belief that Indiana was the same last year as they are this year. No significant fall off in my eyes.QB problems, a few linemen hurt during season, not a very good running attack, a few defensive back injuries. The difference isn’t in Indiana , it’s the competition that has changed significantly from last year. 
This ,with the fact that while Allen has been working to improve the quality of recruits, they do not get four and five star recruits not un like Purdue. This is critical for The Hoosiers to keep their heads above water. A little peak last year a little valley this year. But let’s let the year play out and hopefully it doesn’t just kill recruiting. 

Huh?

IU has gotten absolutely NOTHING out of the QB position this year. Zilch. 

Penix was all-B10 last year and pushed the ball down field at will. IU is likely flirting with a .500 record right now (and two wins over top 10 teams) with even semi-competent QB play this year, that’s how bad it’s been over the course of the season.

Defensively IU is about the same as last year in terms of what they give up a game, but they aren’t creating turnovers like they were last year. Doesn’t help that the offense is constantly putting the defense in a bad position.

Looking it up, the only question is the 4 starting o linemen. The only other starters still playing are Hendershot and Fryfogle 

On defense, Mullen and Taylor, the starting corners from last year are out. The entire D line is out now, and McFadden is the only LB still playing that was a returning starter. 

So out of 18 returning starters, only a handful are still playing. Depth was a known issue coming into the season, and it is showing now; especially in the defensive backfield. 

4 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Looking it up, the only question is the 4 starting o linemen. The only other starters still playing are Hendershot and Fryfogle 

On defense, Mullen and Taylor, the starting corners from last year are out. The entire D line is out now, and McFadden is the only LB still playing that was a returning starter. 

So out of 18 returning starters, only a handful are still playing. Depth was a known issue coming into the season, and it is showing now; especially in the defensive backfield. 

Thanks for the footwork. You and anyone that follows the program knows that depth has plagued IU for more than this year. Not uncommon for the have nots in college football, but it seems to me that Indiana gets in trouble with this more than any team I’ve ever seen. And I guess it will continue here.  

47 minutes ago, southend said:

Thanks for the footwork. You and anyone that follows the program knows that depth has plagued IU for more than this year. Not uncommon for the have nots in college football, but it seems to me that Indiana gets in trouble with this more than any team I’ve ever seen. And I guess it will continue here.  

Under 8 wins…easiest futures bet of the summer.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, southend said:

There you go again!

Let’s not pretend that depth was the issue in blowout losses to Iowa, Penn State, OSU, and Michigan.

I might be willing to give you Cincinnati and they probably beat Maryland and maybe MSU.

This was an outfit with a ceiling of 6-7 wins from the beginning.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Let’s not pretend that depth was the issue in blowout losses to Iowa, Penn State, OSU, and Michigan.

I might be willing to give you Cincinnati and they probably beat Maryland and maybe MSU.

Based on the 2021 Roster Talent Composite, IU is at #38, a big jump from their previous home in the mid 50s and mid 40s over the past 5 to 7 years.  Recruiting has certainly improved dramatically.  

Technically, the Hoosiers are losing to everyone who has more talent then they do, and to others who have less talent (Iowa/UC)

They have more talent than the remaining 3 teams on their schedule.  They need to win all 3 games to restore confidence in the fan/alumni base in my view.  

https://247sports.com/Season/2021-Football/CollegeTeamTalentComposite/

Iowa                       #43

Idaho                      #150

Cincinnati                #54

Western KY            #79

Penn St                   #16

Mich St                   #37

OSU                        #3

Maryland              #34

Michigan              #15

Rutgers                #68

Minnesota           #44

Purdue                 #48

7 hours ago, temptation said:

The strength of schedule tells the story. 

• Haha 1

On 11/7/2021 at 5:51 AM, southend said:

The strength of schedule tells the story. 

Indeed it does.  But they knew the schedule coming in.  Michigan and MSU began the season unranked but they knew exactly what they were up against when they saw Iowa, Cincinnati, Penn State and Ohio State on the schedule.

• Like 1

I'm going to give the kid of the benefit of the doubt that he's a True Freshman and was playing against a team whose D-Line was far superior to the IU OL. But, it just seemed like McCulley was completely lost if he wasn't running the ball. Man, talk about baptism by fire.

4 hours ago, Bash Riprock said:

Saw a telling stat this weekend......I did not confirm this.....

The 3 Power 5 schools that have not defeated a Power 5 opponent this season......

• Vanderbilt
  • Kansas
  • Indiana

Ouch!  But that is the IU we have known for 30 years since Coach Mallory was run out of town.  

what it means to me is that all the noise of that they should be respected with the upper echelon of B10 and College Football was just a lot of noise, which is what I have lamented on here for years when I have went thru their schedule each year.....  

Today sounded like ROCK bottom for this year