Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HHF/GID Interview with Lafayette Jefferson Head Coach Pat Shanley

Guest DT

Welcome Coach Shanley and thanks for joining us.
Question 1.
We are getting into the heat of the summer months. Tell us about the summer workout and competition program for your team, and what specific goals and accomplishments have you set for the team as you prepare for fall football?
A: We have traditionally tried to load up our summer with teams that are going to really push us and challenge us, show us what needs to be fixed. This summer is not any different. We will have scrimmaged LN, Elkhart, Valpo, Michigan City, Mishawaka, and Ben Davis by summers end. In addition to that, we will be hosting the 3rd annual Lafayette Jeff Linemen challenge. There will be 24, 5-man teams here competing. No footballs, all focus will be on the big guys moving heavy objects as quickly as they can.

Question 2
There has been a lot of discussion on The GID regarding the importance of multi-sport athletes, and in particular the strong connection between football and track. You have a big group that participates in both sports. What are the tangible benefits you have seen by having your football players compete in track in the spring, and do you see this trend continuing on into the foreseeable future?
A: Shane Turnipseed just completed his second season as our head track coach, while also serving as our offensive coordinator. We really work hard to blend the two off-season after school programs together from December through the Ben Davis strength contest in late February. A heavy focus on our off-season program is getting our guys faster and more explosive, which serves both of our programs very well. Since Shane has taken over, the number of our athletes competing in the spring has increased each year. Regardless of what the sport is, we want our kids active and competing and feel that the benefit of being active in another sport serves them well not only as athletes, but as young men.

Question 3
Please tell us a little about your playing career, and how and when did you decide to get into coaching. Also, who have been some of your key mentors as you've worked your way quickly up through the coaching ranks to your current position at Jeff?
A: I was a very average football player at Rensselaer Central under Coach Chris Meeks and began coaching with him right out of high school as a freshman at Purdue. Coach Meeks and his impact on my life as a teenager is truly what helped lead me into the coaching profession. I wanted to make a difference in the lives of my student athletes the same way that Coach Meeks made a difference in mine. I was always passionate about X’s & O’s, but Coach Meeks always made it about more than football; With him, it is about playing for your community, playing for your family, playing for your brothers in the locker room. Friday nights in Rensselaer in the fall were special and created a burning desire inside of me to never get too far away from this game. My first job outside of the Rensselaer bubble was at Mt. Vernon (Fortville). Doug Peacock hired me and taught me a great deal about life, and how to treat the kids that we were coaching. While at MV, an assistant coach by the name of Mark Weaver also had a huge impact on my coaching philosophy. Upon Coach P retiring, I was fortunate enough to get hired at Ben Davis under the direction of Mike Kirschner. Coach Kirschner is the most relentless worker that I have ever seen in action. He will do whatever it takes to help his players succeed on and off of the field. Justin Faires was our offensive coordinator while at Ben Davis and really took me under his wing and taught me a great deal about X’s & O’s. Brian Moore hired me as his offensive coordinator when he took over at Jeff in 2015. Brian never leaves a stone un-turned. He’s relentless. He taught me a great deal of football and is also a master motivator. Brian is owed a great deal of credit for where Jeff Football is at today. Coach Meeks, Coach Peacock, Coach Kirschner, Coach Faires, and Coach Moore should all be IFCA Hall-of-Famers in my book. All different from one another, but they all have had a hand in helping me live my dream of impacting the lives our our young men here at Jeff.

Question 4
Your program has really hit full stride, going 10-1 last season and 37-5, one of the very best big school records in the state, over the past 4 seasons. You've dominated the NCC, winning the conference and going unbeaten in league play 4 years running. How do you assess the current overall state of your program relative to talent, numbers, team strength and speed, and your results in the weight room?
A: We are constantly trying to find ways to move the needle and kick down that sectional door. We are certainly proud of the success that we have had in recent years, but we also understand that there has not been a sectional championship trophy raised here at Jeff since 2002. We have been very close, but our players, staff and community are hungry to play deep into November. I would be lying if I said that is not a primary focus of our off-season program.
Our pipeline is alive and well. We have moved to a common offensive and defensive playbook from 3rd grade-Varsity level. Our youth numbers are at an all-time high. We expect to have 130 student-athletes suiting up for us in grades 9-12 this fall, which will be the largest number that we have had since our staff has been here. At the conclusion of this season, we will likely have eight players currently playing or committed D-1, along with 15+ currently competing at the NAIa and D3 levels.
In my opinion, thanks to The Scheumann family, as of last July, we have the top weight room in the entire Midwest. However, it is the work that takes place within the room that matters the most. Our players have been extremely committed to the off-season program. Despite graduating high level talent, our 2021 team is the strongest and fastest team that we have had on record. Expectations are always high at Lafayette Jeff, and they will continue to be high for the foreseeable future.

Question 5
Jeff and your sister schools McCutcheon and Harrison all struggled in the Hoosier Crossroads, and now you are dominating the NCC and many say that you have become too big and strong for the North Central Conference. It's no secret that the NCC is a conference with a basketball identity and a hoops first mindset. Many of the football programs have fallen on hard times. Your program now is in a similar position to the one that Penn experienced in the NIC, where they saw little competition during the regular season and then paid the price in the state tournament. This year, your non con schedule includes 3A West Lafayette and 6A Lawrence Central, a program that is going through a very difficult period. Despite the lofty overall record, your teams have yet to win a sectional. How do you balance the need to schedule strong out of conference opponents against the reality of a generally weak regular season slate as you strive to push your program up and beyond to the next level?
A: I believe there are a number of schools within the NCC that have committed and will continue to commit the resources that it takes to build great football programs. Kokomo recently reached the state championship game and will be much improved in year two under Coach Colby. Logansport is coming off of a sectional championship under the direction of Coach Mike Johnson. Harrison has won multiple sectional titles under Coach Peebles and is now the largest school within the NCC. Marion has had recent years of deep post-season success under Coach Chambers, who I am sure will get things going in the right direction in a hurry at Tech. Tony is a great coach and Darrick is going to get things going as well. I can say without a doubt that the caliber of football within the NCC has improved greatly in the last six years. This off-season, our AD’s met to change the formatting of NCC scheduling, which will greatly benefit the teams who have had recent success while also allowing the programs who have maybe fallen on hard times an opportunity to get some momentum rolling in the right direction.
We will have to be on top of our game each and every week in 2021. Our schedule is going to prepare us. Pike is a MIC power that we open with the IHSAA Scrimmage. West Lafayette is extremely talented, extremely well coached and they have high level talent every year. Lawrence Central will be much improved in year two under Coach Patterson. They were extremely young last year and a lot of high caliber talent. McCutcheon will be much improved. Harrison is likely the NCC favorite this season as they are loaded, extremely well coached, and play extremely hard. As I have mentioned, Kokomo will be a force in year two under Austin Colby. Richmond is moving the needle and Logansport will be even better coming off their sectional title.
If we are fortunate enough to be in a position to win a championship in 2021, our staff has to find ways to put our players in a position to make those 3-5 plays in that ultimate decide the outcome of championship games.

Question 6
The sectional has created a roadblock for your program, and you've seen some very strong competition in the first round including Merrillville, Carmel, and Westfield over the past few years. Athletically, your teams match up well, but size and depth have created some separation between Jeff and those programs. What are you doing to close that gap, eventually be in position to win a sectional, and then move onto bigger and better things in the tournament?
A: Our administration and school corporation has committed the resources that it takes to develop all of our student-athletes here at Jeff. Our set up for athletic development and training is very much on par with that of a MIC/HCC school. Success does not happen over night, and we must work to maximize our time and development with our youth program and middle school athletes. Westfield has a great model with their “Rock School” that has clearly paid off for them. Although we are always going to keep finding ways to improve, we feel very good about our process and the direction that we are heading.

Question 7
How would you describe LJ's relationship with the Purdue program, and PUs overall relationship with all the schools in the city, since Jeff Brohm and his staff arrived on campus?. Has there been any tangible benefits your program has experienced due to the relationship with the Boiler program?
A: Ever since Coach Brohm was hired, he has done a tremendous job working with the IFCA, Region IV, and local high school programs to be a resource for all us. He is extremely approachable and always willing to answer a question that we may have. Pre-Covid, he would open his doors/facilities to anyone on our staff. His strength staff served as a great resource to ours, when we were in the design phase of our Sorinex weight room. Pre-Covid, we have had a handful of his players over to speak to our team at our leadership academy. David Blough was phenomenal! We are extremely thankful for all that he and his staff have done to be a resource for us.

Question 8
Knowing how crazy busy football coaches can be, what do you like to do in your free time away from the game?
A: My wife will tell you that I am never really away from the game. I truly do not have many hobbies. I’m terrible at golf and not patient enough to fish. Time away is often spent reading, studying, watching film, etc. It’s borderline obsessive, but it is my passion. Megan and I have two young boys (JJ, 4 and Jackson, 1) that are full of energy. I enjoy the summer schedule, which allows our entire family to be together more often and allows me to be more present in their lives.

Question 9
Jeff will once again be the preseason favorite to win the NCC. Who are some of your top kids returning, and who will be the difference makers on Friday nights this year on both offense and defense?
A: I am not convinced that we are the favorite. Harrison likely returns more than anyone on both sides of the ball. Knoy is a magician in running their option attack. They have great speed, great size, and great strength.
We are going to be lead by a senior class that is full of great young men, that are leaders within our hallways and within our community. Brady Preston, Tyson Miller, Mauro Pablo, Jared Bunch, Brandon Norton and Austin McKinney are all seniors who are returning starters on offense. Defensively, we are lead by returning starters Brendan Segal, Xhavion Reese, Mike Holsclaw, Landen Albertson. Luis Martinez has a big leg and will have a great impact on special teams along with Senior Special Team ACE, Isaac Nelson. We have a number of other seniors and talented underclassmen who are ready to step up, and are hungry to leave their mark on our program.

Question 10
Your name comes up fairly regularly when major 6A jobs open up in Indianapolis. Are you open to the possibility of stepping up to a bigger program in the future, or would you prefer to stay put in Lafayette and continue to lead this excellent program at Jefferson?
A: My father in law is a Fort Wayne Snider grad and played under Coach Issacs. It is awesome to hear what that program means to him and how much pride that he and his teammates have for that program. My father-in-law is 42 years removed from having played for Coach Isaacs, and there are still people on that staff that know him by name and welcome him to a practice. It’s amazing what they’ve been able to build and the consistency they’ve maintained for such a long period of time. That is a vision that I have for Lafayette Jeff.
Mark Preston is an amazing leader and an absolute joy to work for. I am thankful that he and Peyton Stovall had the faith to hire me in 2016, and have been committed to not only helping our program grow, but also helping me grow professionally. Lafayette Jeff has a great alumni that is always willing to help provide resources for our student-athletes to be successful. We have Purdue on the other side of the river. We have a community that values hard work and young men who fully embrace it as well. This place is truly special. I am fortunate to be living my dream as a Broncho.

Coach, we thank you for your time and best of luck to you and your team this season.

Tim Phillips
Hoosier High School Football
The Gridiron Digest

download (1).jpg

unnamed.jpg