Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HHF/GID Interview Series : Franklin Central Coach Jayson West

Guest DT

· 

Moving to FC was a very difficult decision but it was best for our family at this time and hopefully one day be a great football decision as well:) Franklin Township is a rapidly growing district as well and there is a lot of excitement in the district to be competitive within a new conference and the State. FC is an "A" school in Marion County and has an outstanding performing arts program so we just want to do our part and represent the community in a positive fashion as it should be. Dr. Hibbard and the administration are working diligently to provide children of the district opportunities in whatever realm a child decides to go into and that was a big draw to me and my family. The new position I am in now does not require me to work all those nights and summers so it allows me to spend more time with my own kiddos and being a dad is the most important job that I have. I didn't have a dad growing up, so with all the factors involved FC seemed to be the right fit for me and my family.
When WC called after the 2012 season I was torn! Should I just be done or leave a program we built up to be pretty competitive? I dont think we lost a jv game and maybe only 1 frosh game that year, so culture was established and leaving something like that was really sickening to be honest, We actually bought a house in the southern part of Warren Township a couple years before so after discussing it with my wife we thought it would be great to have the kids go to the school we lived in which is much easier when it comes to transportation etc and we got to take over a fantastic program like Warren Central. It also got Rob and myself into the weight room working together which could not be a better situation. So with school getting out earlier and a better situation during the day to be in our areas of passion we made the move. It was a tough year as we had to play LC twice in the 2013 season and we won State at WC that year so it was a bittersweet year to say the least.
Other factors for LC such as moving to the MIC with only 2300 kids compared to half the conference having double the population was also a factor for LC not being able to sustain winning games during the season which contributes to the culture of the program. Many schools battle the culture issue and winning does matter, especially if you are winning at all levels like we were at LC. Conference Indiana was strong but it wasn't the MIC, it is a different animal and you have to play the MIC twice if you want to win a State Championship in 6A ball in Indiana, so it takes a toll on your record, your culture and public perception. LC can win and I think they have a good coach and good man in Coach Patterson, but with the current setup with MIC and the sectional being all MIC basically as well - it will be difficult for any team to have great records and get out of sectionals on a regular basis. Schools and communities have to realize that records are relative and to be patient and understanding with coaches that are now coaching year round and carry so many more responsibilities than we used to. Sadly, stipends and such do not really reflect the current model of coaching and schools realize this but they have a hard time making necessary changes due to how school structures are established.

That is the plan! Our superintendent, school board, administration and community are really working hard to provide the best opportunities and facilities for all the children in Franklin Township. We have a referendum coming up next May that if it passes will allow us to catch up to the schools that we are trying to compete with. Like I stated earliermFT is an "A" school in Marion County and is rapidly growing, so there is a lot of excitement from a multitude of entities that want to see FT be a leader in academics, performing arts, athletics and numerous clubs and activities that makes FT a special place for current families and those who are moving in as we speak. The support has been overwhelming to say the least and I am excited to see what direction we all travel together to provide the best of everything for our children.

49714d51-0dd9-4a85-ae66-75215e1eb3ba-Warren_LN_MM_018.jpg

unnamed.jpg

4 hours ago, Staxawax said:

Outstanding interview as usual DT. But it's troubling that you feel you have to link every word to redirect to your Facebook page. In my opinion the underlining makes it harder to read and reeks of self-promotion.

The underlining happened during the copy and paste process.  The interview was so long that I decided not to try and figure it out.  It was unintentional

And why does it bother you that I redirect?  Im trying to build something on facebook.  I provide these interviews to The GID and get exactly nothing in return for my efforts.  Enjoy them while they last.

11 hours ago, DT said:

Im trying to build something on facebook.  I provide these interviews to The GID and get exactly nothing in return for my efforts.  Enjoy them while they last.

IMO, @DT has done more to pump life into the GID than the next 3 posters anyone can name combined. The idea to obtain interviews from all these coaches was brilliant, worthy of TA. We all owe DT, whether you like the point of view he takes in other posts or not.

• Like 4

29 minutes ago, Bobref said:

IMO, @DT has done more to pump life into the GID than the next 3 posters anyone can name combined. The idea to obtain interviews from all these coaches was brilliant, worthy of TA. We all owe DT, whether you like the point of view he takes in other posts or not.

But, but, but underlined words are hard on my eyes!

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, Bobref said:

Agree 100%!!! These interviews are great offseason reads. Just gets me even more ready for the season