Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Colson Montgomery

Colson Montgomery out of Southridge High School in Huntingburg/Holland, IN was just drafted 22nd Overall in the First Round of the 2021 MLB Draft by the Chicago White Sox.

Makes me wonder, is this the highest any high school player from the State of Indiana has ever been drafted? I did a quick google search and couldn't find much. I did see Scott Rolen was early 2nd round.

Not sure if this counts, but Bryan Bullington from Madison was drafted 1st overall by the Pirates in 2002. He had previously been drafted in 99 in the 37th round, but decided not to sign that year. 

But trying to find who was drafted when is a MUCH bigger task than it seems. There have been a LOT of guys from this State who have played the game. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Irishman said:

Not sure if this counts, but Bryan Bullington from Madison was drafted 1st overall by the Pirates in 2002. He had previously been drafted in 99 in the 37th round, but decided not to sign that year. 

But trying to find who was drafted when is a MUCH bigger task than it seems. There have been a LOT of guys from this State who have played the game. 

This has been the problem I have encountered also! Bullington came out of Ball State. I am really looking for the high school boys drafted from the state of Indiana, but it would be awesome if someone had a big board of every player drafted from this state.

• Like 1

On 7/12/2021 at 3:55 PM, RoadRunner said:

Colson Montgomery out of Southridge High School in Huntingburg/Holland, IN was just drafted 22nd Overall in the First Round of the 2021 MLB Draft by the Chicago White Sox.

Makes me wonder, is this the highest any high school player from the State of Indiana has ever been drafted? I did a quick google search and couldn't find much. I did see Scott Rolen was early 2nd round.

I understand that the 22nd pick over all will pay in the vicinity of $3.5 million this year. Um….? This kind of stuns me. 

Congratulations all around.

I happened to turn on the draft, right before the Cubs (team I follow) picked at 21.  I saw the "best available" and noticed Montgomery was listed 2nd, right behind the KSU pitcher the Cubs took.  I was really hoping they took CM, especially with the apparent "blow up" of the Cubs.

Body wise (and apparent skill wise---from the little I have seen), Montgomery reminds me a lot of Kris Bryant, who apparently will not be part of the Cubs much longer.

Hope he has a long and wonderful MLB career.

Edited by DE

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

As a side topic:

In the 1966 MLB Draft (first ever), three Indiana High School players were drafted

12th round   Larry Bishop C  by the California Angels  from Indianapolis Howe

9th round     Dan Bootcheck P by the Detroit Tigers   from Michigan City   (I think his grandson also played for the Angels as well)

4th round     Karl Simon OF   by the Chicago White Sox  from South Bend Central

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Wonderful to see the former Wapahani HS Pitcher,  Zack Thompson (#57) make his MLB debut today (for my STL Cardinals) against the Cubs.  

3 up...3 down!  

And a nice touch with him wearing the #57 of (the late) Darryl Kile...  Gone too soon...

i.png.1f903d9c7eec36ba30f03976d144140d.png

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/10/2022 at 3:57 PM, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

Colson Montgomery currently has a 44 game on base streak and it up to High A in the White Sox organization

Got to 50 straight yesterday with a first inning homerun (8 on the year)! Started the year not even in the top 100 MiLB prospects and has flew up to #40 in recent weeks.

• Like 2

As a Cubs, Bulls, and Bears fan I listen to Chicago sports radio all day while working. The show I was listening to last week was talking about Montgomery easily being their #1 prospect and whether the Sox would trade him for immediate assets. I hope they don't. The season appears to be wash this year with too much disfunction within the Org (Ex. Owner bypassing GM to hire LaRussa).

On 4/28/2022 at 1:23 PM, Sailors said:

Larry Bigbie of Hobart was drafted in the 1st Round of the 1999 Amateur Draft by Baltimore. I played on a travel team with him when I was 15. At that point he was already jacking line drive homers out of ballparks with major league dimension. The Bullington kid from Madison is also missing from this database. Like Bigbie, he was a 1st rounder out of Ball State.

7 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Larry Bigbie of Hobart was drafted in the 1st Round of the 1999 Amateur Draft by Baltimore. I played on a travel team with him when I was 15. At that point he was already jacking line drive homers out of ballparks with major league dimension. The Bullington kid from Madison is also missing from this database. Like Bigbie, he was a 1st rounder out of Ball State.

Yes, Bigbie and Bullington were 1st rounders out college (Ball State). This topic is High School 1st Rounders, see first post of this thread.

52 minutes ago, Sailors said:

Yes, Bigbie and Bullington were 1st rounders out college (Ball State). This topic is High School 1st Rounders, see first post of this thread.

Lol...I knew I had to be missing something, but I was wrapped up in work to figure it out the obvious. My bad. 

• Thanks 1

On 12/4/2021 at 1:10 PM, LaSalle Lions 1976 said:

As a side topic:

In the 1966 MLB Draft (first ever), three Indiana High School players were drafted

12th round   Larry Bishop C  by the California Angels  from Indianapolis Howe

9th round     Dan Bootcheck P by the Detroit Tigers   from Michigan City   (I think his grandson also played for the Angels as well)

4th round     Karl Simon OF   by the Chicago White Sox  from South Bend Central

Just seeing this and responded just a few months late. I'm assuming Chris Bootcheck is Dan's grandson. Chris was an All State Pitcher at LaPorte, pitched for Auburn, and did have a decent run in the Angels bullpen. He was also a standout basketball player on '97 LaPorte team that advanced to the last Single Class Final Four.