Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Lawrence Central Football - On the Mend or On the Brink?

Guest DT

17 hours ago, temptation said:

An HCC AD has confirmed that two MIC member schools have reached out to the HCC to gauge interest.

Stranger things have happened. I'll be interested to see the developments with this. For Carmel, I suppose it makes sense from a gate standpoint. Having a football schedule with Fishers, HSE, Westfield, and Noblesville on your schedule would renew old rivalries. I've just never heard those rumblings from that direction. 

Center Grove...I can see that.

The Lawrences moving as a pair...I could see that.

The MIC has had six core teams since 1996, that's a long time in this day and age. 

3 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Stranger things have happened. I'll be interested to see the developments with this. For Carmel, I suppose it makes sense from a gate standpoint. Having a football schedule with Fishers, HSE, Westfield, and Noblesville on your schedule would renew old rivalries. I've just never heard those rumblings from that direction. 

Center Grove...I can see that.

The Lawrences moving as a pair...I could see that.

The MIC has had six core teams since 1996, that's a long time in this day and age. 

I agree. For CG it would make for some very very long drives on Friday nights. We also have to look at the other sports as well. Carmel and CG would probably enjoy a much more competitive conference in the other sports. Who knows though. I just can’t see this happening.

As much as I dislike how dominant the MIC is in football… i don’t want to see any of the top dogs like CG and Carmel move to the HCC. If that happens there is no longer the argument that the MIC is one of the best football conferences in the Midwest, as well as the fact that the conference will be significantly less strong. Becomes a 2 man race between Warren and Ben Davis for the foreseeable future.

15 minutes ago, Bears62 said:

As much as I dislike how dominant the MIC is in football… i don’t want to see any of the top dogs like CG and Carmel move to the HCC. If that happens there is no longer the argument that the MIC is one of the best football conferences in the Midwest, as well as the fact that the conference will be significantly less strong. Becomes a 2 man race between Warren and Ben Davis for the foreseeable future.

Until the HCC takes over as the premiere conference in the Midwest.

This move makes the HCC top 5-10 in the COUNTRY when all sports are considered.  The country club sports maybe top 3.

A second HCC AD has now confirmed this rumor...

25 minutes ago, temptation said:

Until the HCC takes over as the premiere conference in the Midwest.

This move makes the HCC top 5-10 in the COUNTRY when all sports are considered.  The country club sports maybe top 3.

A second HCC AD has now confirmed this rumor...

Who are the AD’s? 

16 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

So let’s say two teams leave the MIC. Who then fills the spots in the MIC?

I’ve let my opinion be known.

Franklin Central and Avon.  I think they could clean up in the country club sports and eventually become competitive in football and basketball.

Many people don’t think that Brownsburg and Avon would split though...which I also see.

1 hour ago, DanteEstonia said:

So let’s say two teams leave the MIC. Who then fills the spots in the MIC?

Indianapolis Tech and leave the 8th spot open.  That would give MIC schools 6 guaranteed conference games

They could fill the other 3 open weeks with Cathedral, Roncalli and Chatard 

1 hour ago, DT said:

Indianapolis Tech and leave the 8th spot open.  That would give MIC schools 6 guaranteed conference games

They could fill the other 3 open weeks with Cathedral, Roncalli and Chatard 

Tech no way. You never know with the changing enrollments there. I would say Franklin Central fills the spot. The open 3 weeks like you said would be used for those teams and possibly an HCC school that has an open week. That would put the HCC at 9. 8 conference games and 1 non conference.

Franklin Central just landed a coveted spot in the HCC.  You really think they are going to give that up to go to The MIC?  No chance.

Ben Davis, Warren Central, Pike North Central, Lawrence North and Lawrence Central all share Indianapolis city addresses.  So does Tech.  Tech is bigger than LN and LC so they fit right in.  Its up to the city administration to fix the school and make it viable and competitive

2 hours ago, DT said:

Franklin Central just landed a coveted spot in the HCC.  You really think they are going to give that up to go to The MIC?  No chance.

Ben Davis, Warren Central, Pike North Central, Lawrence North and Lawrence Central all share Indianapolis city addresses.  So does Tech.  Tech is bigger than LN and LC so they fit right in.  Its up to the city administration to fix the school and make it viable and competitive

Tech enrollment will drop back down to a 5A 

2 hours ago, DT said:

Tech is at 2100. LC is 2200.

On 7/19/2021 at 1:08 PM, Kim said:

1st...Will Patterson was NOT LC linebacker he was  LN linebacker. Also why was not the same said for North Central when they went 5 plus years with losing season? When was Pikes last winning season?  Both have the enrollment numbers and based off your article you say we are too small.  Also a LN win after 15 years of losing to LC now classify LC on a downward spiral to death? Man you must be a LN alumni or good friends with the LN head coach LOL.  It's all good! Coach Patterson is a great coach that is not only concerned about wins but sending players to the next level.  Just ask current Sophomore ( will be a Junior in the fall) Joshua Mickens with 10 and some more possible offers. And that is with a 0-10 season. Shouldn't sending kids to college be the end goal anyway?  Or should the players be the best every high school players with no future? 

Sincerely,

Tired of people shitting on our school

I just saw this and am sorry for not responding.  You deserve a response as i understand you feel passionately about your school.

First off, I have no bias against LC.  In fact, one of the greatest high school games Ive seen was at LC when the Bears pulled off the huge 35-14 upset over Warren central and went on to win the state title.

Ive seen several disturbing trends at LC which lead me to believe the program is in trouble :

1. Coaching turnover.  This should not happen at a MIC school.  These are the most desirable football jobs in the state, and maybe the midwest.  

2. Declining enrollment.  LC is already the smallest school in the conference, and eclining enrollment just makes things more difficult.

3. Open enrollment - the best players in the township tend to navigate to the better program.  LC was the program of choice 10 years ago.  Today it is LN.  

4. On field performance.  Last year was a disaster.

Due to the size discrepency, I believe LCs long term future is to be a bottom feeder in The MIC.  Is that what the school wants for its student athletes?  How often does a Tre Roberson type talent come along?  

Id like to see the program have some success.  I think it needs a new home in a conference with similar sized schools.  I dont think that makes me anti LC.

10 minutes ago, DT said:

I just saw this and am sorry for not responding.  You deserve a response as i understand you feel passionately about your school.

First off, I have no bias against LC.  In fact, one of the greatest high school games Ive seen was at LC when the Bears pulled off the huge 35-14 upset over Warren central and went on to win the state title.

Ive seen several disturbing trends at LC which lead me to believe the program is in trouble :

1. Coaching turnover.  This should not happen at a MIC school.  These are the most desirable football jobs in the state, and maybe the midwest.  

2. Declining enrollment.  LC is already the smallest school in the conference, and eclining enrollment just makes things more difficult.

3. Open enrollment - the best players in the township tend to navigate to the better program.  LC was the program of choice 10 years ago.  Today it is LN.  

Due to the size discrepency, I believe LCs long term future is to be a bottom feeder in The MIC.  Is that what the school wants for its student athletes?  How often does a Tre Roberson type talent come along?  

Id like to see the program have some success.  I think it needs a new home in a conference with similar sized schools.  I dont think that makes me anti LC.

Just to understand, you believe Carmel and Center Grove should bolt for the HCC, and Lawrence Central should bolt for another conference.  You’ve also stated on here that Lawrence North should bolt for the HCC.  If this were to happen, the MIC, currently the best conference in Indiana, would essentially become nonexistent.  I believe the Athletic Directors who work tirelessly to give their students the best experiences possible deserve much more from us rather than actively campaigning to disband their conference.

26 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Just to understand, you believe Carmel and Center Grove should bolt for the HCC, and Lawrence Central should bolt for another conference.  You’ve also stated on here that Lawrence North should bolt for the HCC.  If this were to happen, the MIC, currently the best conference in Indiana, would essentially become nonexistent.  I believe the Athletic Directors who work tirelessly to give their students the best experiences possible deserve much more from us rather than actively campaigning to disband their conference.

It’s either/or.  If Carmel/CG bolt, LC and LN instantly become more competitive.

37 minutes ago, HoosierFB_JG said:

Did Oklahoma and Texas honor their loyalties and stay in The Big 12?  No, they sought a stronger competitive environment and a far better financial situation for their respective schools.  

Nebraska, Penn State,  Texas A&M , Missouri and Colorado did the same.

LC did that when they left Conference Indiana.  So did Martinsville, DC, FC, Pike and PM.  

Outside of the gate revenue issue, the biggest concern I have if Im CG and CA is the lack of consistent MIC competition in the non revenue sports.  Just up the road you have a conference loaded with 6A mega schools that excel in the full athletic menu  I would thing that the admin and the ADs at both schools would feel a sense of obligation to challenge all of their student athletes, not just the football and basketball players

2 hours ago, DT said:

Actually, Fishers won the state championship that year.  LC beat Warren 21-14 in 2012 and went on to win state, but not sure that was really an upset.  

2 hours ago, DT said:

Did Oklahoma and Texas honor their loyalties and stay in The Big 12?  No, they sought a stronger competitive environment and a far better financial situation for their respective schools.

It’s dangerous to make analogies that mix high school and college football, since the motivations are so different. And I seriously doubt Texas is leaving the Big 12 to seek a “stronger competitive environment,” since they’ve been middle of the pack in the Big 12 for the last decade or so.

But your point about the financial side of things is well-taken. I understand that some of the MIC teams don’t exactly travel well. Games against HHC opponents will be considerably more lucrative. I don’t see how, in these times of tight budgets, how anyone could criticize a school that seeks out a situation that is financially an improvement, and competitively, not that much different.

4 minutes ago, Bobref said:

It’s dangerous to make analogies that mix high school and college football, since the motivations are so different. And I seriously doubt Texas is leaving the Big 12 to seek a “stronger competitive environment,” since they’ve been middle of the pack in the Big 12 for the last decade or so.

But your point about the financial side of things is well-taken. I understand that some of the MIC teams don’t exactly travel well. Games against HHC opponents will be considerably more lucrative. I don’t see how, in these times of tight budgets, how anyone could criticize a school that seeks out a situation that is financially an improvement, and competitively, not that much different.

Once again, CG or Carmel took home 18 of the 20 conference titles this past school year.  They’ve outgrown the MIC from a competitive standpoint in nearly every sport outside of football and basketball.  This cannot be ignored.

Congrats to this young man from the LCHS class of 2023.  Just picked up an offer from Michigan and already had some nice offers from Indiana, Purdue, Missouri, Rutgers, Iowa State, Cincy, etc.  a 247 4 Star recruit.....more offers for this Bear are on the way.

https://247sports.com/player/joshua-mickens-46113710/

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Joshua-Mickens-145028/RecruitInterests/

• Like 2