Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

IFCA North - South All Star Game Results Indicate Urgent Need for Format Change

Guest DT

30 minutes ago, DT said:

If it wasnt for these government schools, we'd all be walking around with our knuckles dragging on the ground like a bunch of uneducated mongrels.  

No, we wouldn't.  You need to study the history of our current government K-12 education system.  I recommend this starting point:  https://www.amazon.com/Underground-History-American-Education-Investigation/dp/0945700040

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

No, we wouldn't.  You need to study the history of our current government K-12 education system.  I recommend this starting point:  https://www.amazon.com/Underground-History-American-Education-Investigation/dp/0945700040

No thanks.  Id rather be a mongrel and talk about high school football with the rest of these clowns around here.

47 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Interesting idea, but there are some things to keep in mind. One, it really is not an all star game. Starting at the region level, each class must be represented in each region. One thing that has been brought up before is maybe having a 1A-3A game, and a 4A-6A game. Another issue is who is available to play. Many DI programs do not want their players participating in the game. Another factor is the way the regions are drawn.....Indianapolis is its own region while regions 6 and 8 surround Indy, and the distance is pretty extreme. Region 6 has North Montgomery down to the area just North of Evansville, and goes to the Indiana border. Maybe split Indy into a North and South region? or even an East and West? I know some of the distance issue is unavoidable; so with that being the case, maybe use sectional groups to vote on players? 

All that said, in previous years, the North has been able to hold its own in the game. Blowouts are not the norm. I did not go this year, but the previous few years I did go, it is well attended. So, I am not sure there will be much urgency to change things. 

I am fine with every class being represented. There are some good players at lower levels as the game MVP demonstrated. 

I hardly think one South win, when North had won 5 straight previously, is cause for urgent change. 

I also did not go, but those I talked to that did thought North had an athletic advantage prior to the game. Uncle Mo jumped on the south side after the pick 6 to open scoring. Then special teams really swung the outcome to make it appear more lopsided. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Thank you for the reading recommendation.  I will see if I can go check this out from the library.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, oldtimeqb said:

I am fine with every class being represented. There are some good players at lower levels as the game MVP demonstrated. 

I hardly think one South win, when North had won 5 straight previously, is cause for urgent change. 

I also did not go, but those I talked to that did thought North had an athletic advantage prior to the game. Uncle Mo jumped on the south side after the pick 6 to open scoring. Then special teams really swung the outcome to make it appear more lopsided. 

The game really is closer if not for special teams mishaps. I talked to Grant after, and we agreed that most of these kids haven’t played special teams in several years. And I don’t recall, but does a long snapper get selected? That’s a big part of the game that all star guys like these, especially at bigger schools, don’t do. Maybe there’s a case to change up special teams? Then again, this may not be an issue in most years. This was the first game I’ve seen since it was South Adams heavy. 

Always looked at the game as opportunity for small school players to prove themselves.  Just as MVP of this year's game was last second fill-in from Class A, many very good players still get missed. For example, ever see Dan Stryzinski's stats from North-South game?

On 7/15/2021 at 10:56 AM, ragdoll said:

Always looked at the game as opportunity for small school players to prove themselves.  Just as MVP of this year's game was last second fill-in from Class A, many very good players still get missed. For example, ever see Dan Stryzinski's stats from North-South game?

And you can argue that James Arnold, a 1A QB, should’ve been MVP for the north as well. 

On 7/13/2021 at 8:39 PM, oldtimeqb said:

I don’t think it was played in 2020, but quick question: which side won the previous five? (2015 - 2019)

Alex, the answer is "the North". So I would say the recent concern noted by DT is definitely not to big of a deal. No one was saying that the North was so dominate that change was needed after the 2019 game, did they? No game was played in 2020. 

On 7/13/2021 at 7:33 PM, DT said:
HHF COMMENTARY / IFCA North - South All Star Game Results Indicate Urgent Need for Format Change

The South All Stars overwhelmed and outclassed the North in a 45-7 drubbing on Friday night at Anderson University, and the outcome could have been even worse for the North.
Its become abundantly clear to anyone watching that there is a huge competitive imbalance between the North and the South, especially at the big school level, and we see this manifest itself every Thanksgiving weekend when The MIC sends one of its rotating 6A state champions into the title game to put a beatdown on the North representative (unless there are 2 MIC schools in the final)

We have spoken with many head coaches in our on going interview series, and the one common thread mentioned repeatedly by northern Indiana coaches is the big strength and speed advantage the south has over their teams. Many Indy area schools have dedicated strength and conditioning coaches, and have facilities that mirror those you will find on college campuses. You also see more football-track and field crossover in the south, which is a huge training advantage for those schools that encourage , or demand, dual sport participation.

When I spoke with North Coach Grant Moser of South Adams during All Star week, he marvelled at the physical size of the south roster as he observed the players participating in various all star week activities.

Its not DNA. Its not the water in Indianapolis. And it has nothing to do with anything other than the fact that 18 year old central Indiana football players are, by and large, bigger, stronger and faster than their counterparts in the North. This is clearly due to a greater emphasis, and investment in strength and conditioning .

A simple short term proposal to even things out is to scrap the North - South format and switch to an East - West model. Draw a line right down the center of Indianapolis and assign MIC members Warren Central, Carmel, Lawrence Central and Lawrence North to the East, and Ben Davis, North Central, Center Grove and Pike to the West.

Same with the HCC. Noblesville, Franklin Central, HSE and Fishers to the East. Brownsburg, Avon, Westfield and Zionsville to the West.

Undoubtedly we would see better distribution of talent , and likely a better product delivered on the field.

Im also a fan of scrapping the North - South post season tournament alignment for an East - West model, for all the same reasons previously mentioned. Thats a discussion for another date

IFCA has ownership of the all star game, and they control every aspect of the event from staff and player selection to running the event on site.

We have no control over demographic or socio economic trends, population shifts, or other trends that may or may not impact competitive balance in high school football. Clearly, all of those trends mentioned reinforce the reality that Central Indiana continues to get bigger and stronger while other areas of the state, from a competitive standpoint, remain stagnant or fall into decline.

What we can control is our response and reaction to those trends. Do we accept the reality that change is happening and respond accordingly? Or do we ignore the trends and assume everything will balance out in the long run?

Its time for IFCA to take a hard look at this and consider making some changes. That game Friday night was not a good look for the organization.
May be an image of text

60e8edd994f4f.image.jpg

These guys are truly 'jacked'! Anytime you can view that much lean muscle mass, and the cephalic and basilic veins which are very fluorescent, that tells you a great deal about the weight training regimen of these young men.