Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Oklahoma and Texas to SEC

DE

22 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

This makes zero sense to me unless OU and Texas already know a massive re-alignment is inevitable that results in 4 mega conferences that break away from the NCAA. 

And I think we have a winner! My concern is that in the game of musical chairs that is going to ensue, the Irish will be left standing. One school of thought is they need to position themselves now to join the conference they are going to want to be in when the music stops. That way, they have some choice (probably). The other school of thought is that just allowing chaos to happen will increase ND’s leverage, as any of the 4 “Superconferences” would want them. Whether that’s true or not, I can assure you there are many ND people who think that way.

Do you think Jack Swarbrick being one of the committee of 4 that came up with the playoff expansion plan that guaranteed ND would never get a 1st round bye, no matter their record, sheds any light on his thoughts on the subject? Like it’ll never actually get implemented before big conference/NCAA issues render it moot? Hmmm…….

32 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Would Texas forfeit their Longhorn Network since SEC has their own Network?

https://texassports.com/sports/2013/7/28/GEN_0728134519.aspx

Seems this would eliminate OU almost being automatic as a 12 team college playoff qualifier and make the road back for Texas much more difficult.

Inevitably, the parties get together and negotiate new deal, based on the changed circumstances. It’s in everyone’s best interests that they make a deal. The pie is big enough for everyone. The year ND was in the ACC, they shared their NBC TV revenue with all ACC teams.

It’s not like there’s a choice. Everyone knows the college football landscape is undergoing major changes right now. The rise of the Superconferences is inevitable. I applaud Texas and Oklahoma for being proactive and at least trying to get out in front of the change that’s coming.

38 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Inevitably, the parties get together and negotiate new deal, based on the changed circumstances. It’s in everyone’s best interests that they make a deal. The pie is big enough for everyone. The year ND was in the ACC, they shared their NBC TV revenue with all ACC teams.

It’s not like there’s a choice. Everyone knows the college football landscape is undergoing major changes right now. The rise of the Superconferences is inevitable. I applaud Texas and Oklahoma for being proactive and at least trying to get out in front of the change that’s coming.

Both better attempt to field a defense with a pulse for a change.

No Kansas’ on the schedule...

Edited by temptation

This hurts Ohio State in my opinion. Ohio State has done a phenomenal job recruiting Texas the last decade pulling top recruits away from both Texas and Oklahoma many a times. Would have to think OU and Texas joining a big boy conference entices those recruits to stick around. Texas A&M jumping to the SEC a few years back lead to an uptick in recruiting really quick.

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Heard this morning that Big 12 conference bylaws would require:

1. 18 months notice for a team to leave the conference.

2. An “exit” fee of about $76 million per team.

So what I read here was....

OU and Texas will join the SEC in 18 months and have their checks post dated to that exact date.

1 hour ago, DE said:

So what I read here was....

OU and Texas will join the SEC in 18 months and have their checks post dated to that exact date.

Unless, of course, when Oklahoma and Texas give their formal notice the rest of the rats jump off the sinking ship and the Big 12 is no more.

26 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Unless, of course, when Oklahoma and Texas give their formal notice the rest of the rats jump off the sinking ship and the Big 12 is no more.

Or THIS ^^^^^^^^^

Let me toss this out for all.  I will exclude ND (though if I was a betting man and they had to join a conference, it will be the ACC or BIG West Division).  I am also not taking into account other schools leaving/entering a new conference.

Would a school like Kentucky ever leave the SEC?  Join the BIG?

OU and UT to SEC, which obviously expands.

Iowa St./Kansas/Kansas St. to BIG.

Baylor and OKSU to PAC

TCU/TTU will join a "super conference" of their own with the likes of the Mountain West/WAC/Conference USA/etc.

***Is TCU's/TTU's brand big enough for the PAC or BIG?

WVU to ACC.

Edited by DE

3 hours ago, DE said:

Or THIS ^^^^^^^^^

Let me toss this out for all.  I will exclude ND (though if I was a betting man and they had to join a conference, it will be the ACC or BIG West Division).  I am also not taking into account other schools leaving/entering a new conference.

Would a school like Kentucky ever leave the SEC?  Join the BIG?

OU and UT to SEC, which obviously expands.

Iowa St./Kansas/Kansas St. to BIG.

Baylor and OKSU to PAC

TCU/TTU will join a "super conference" of their own with the likes of the Mountain West/WAC/Conference USA/etc.

***Is TCU's/TTU's brand big enough for the PAC or BIG?

WVU to ACC.

Might even see teams like Vandy and Mizzou looking to move. 

58 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Might even see teams like Vandy and Mizzou looking to move. 

I completely see what you are saying.

If Mizzou gets "placed" in the SEC West...yep, I could see them bolting to the BIG (if invited).  If not, I would see them staying in the SEC East.

Man, Vandy is just a mystery to me.  Nashville seems like a hot place to be.  I know they have very high standards, but to be in the SEC, do they need to lower them or get the "boot"?

***I am all for keeping the high standards.***

***Northwestern has made it work in the BIG.*** 

On 7/22/2021 at 2:28 PM, Bobref said:

And I think we have a winner! My concern is that in the game of musical chairs that is going to ensue, the Irish will be left standing. One school of thought is they need to position themselves now to join the conference they are going to want to be in when the music stops. That way, they have some choice (probably). The other school of thought is that just allowing chaos to happen will increase ND’s leverage, as any of the 4 “Superconferences” would want them. Whether that’s true or not, I can assure you there are many ND people who think that way.

Do you think Jack Swarbrick being one of the committee of 4 that came up with the playoff expansion plan that guaranteed ND would never get a 1st round bye, no matter their record, sheds any light on his thoughts on the subject? Like it’ll never actually get implemented before big conference/NCAA issues render it moot? Hmmm…….

Bob

In a Super Conference environment with 4 18 team conferences, where would you like to see the Irish wind up?

ACC

SEC

Big Ten (18)

Pac 18

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

As Jerry Lee once said…whole lotta shakin goin on

how quickly will the landscape change? 
SEC leadership is way ahead of the game. 

These schools either know what is going on with the Playoff expansion or are forcing the hand of the playoff format committee.

Is Michigan only tossed in b/c of it's traditional "brand" and it's rivalry w/ O$U?

Why Florida St. (currently)?

Absolutely love the new West - East divisional lineup for The SEC

Makes perfect sense and great balance 

Preserves current rivalries and renews old ones 

West

Oklahoma

Texas

A&M

Arkansas

Missouri

LSU

Mississippi