Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NFL 2021 Season

Bobref

There’s so much drama going on in places like Green Bay and Houston that we might not recall that the NFL season is upon us. Great story lines developing. One of them is the Bucs’ quest for a repeat. Don’t bet against this guy.

• 2 weeks later...

This will be interesting to see how the league handles this. As McAfee says, there are plenty of other players who are not going to get the vaccine, and others who are just not going to say whether they are vaccinated or not. He goes into some details briefly about what testing will look like for those that don't. My guess is if guys refuse to disclose, they will be viewed by the league as unvaccinated. 

13 hours ago, Irishman said:

This will be interesting to see how the league handles this. As McAfee says, there are plenty of other players who are not going to get the vaccine, and others who are just not going to say whether they are vaccinated or not. He goes into some details briefly about what testing will look like for those that don't. My guess is if guys refuse to disclose, they will be viewed by the league as unvaccinated. 

Considered plexiglass surrounding himself in the QB room. 

If you are unaware, many schools around the country, forced kids to surround themselves with plexiglass last school year……and maybe even this school year. 

13 hours ago, Irishman said:

Vaccine still in trial phase.

1 hour ago, DE said:

Considered plexiglass surrounding himself in the QB room. 

If you are unaware, many schools around the country, forced kids to surround themselves with plexiglass last school year……and maybe even this school year. 

Vaccine still in trial phase.

Neither comment has a thing to do with what I posted. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Neither comment has a thing to do with what I posted. 

You posted a tweet that spoke about plexiglass. Correct?  Yes. I made a factual statement. So yes. It does. 

I made a factual statement about a post you brought up about covid. So yes. It does. 

Just now, DE said:

You posted a tweet that spoke about plexiglass. Correct?  Yes. I made a factual statement. So yes. It does. 

I made a factual statement about a post you brought up about covid. So yes. It does. 

No…..Pat McAfee used it as an example to explain what the league was doing as far as testing guys who openly said they were not vaccinated. And I merely speculated how the league was going to handle the players who refused to say whether they are vaxed or not. 
so, yeah, neither statement had a thing to do with my post. 
Try actually watching the full clip next time. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Irishman said:

No…..Pat McAfee used it as an example to explain what the league was doing as far as testing guys who openly said they were not vaccinated. And I merely speculated how the league was going to handle the players who refused to say whether they are vaxed or not. 

😂

Yes....To add to my factual points, if it sounds crazy that Cousins would sit in a meeting, "shielded" by plexiglass.  Imagine how crazy it is for kids being forced to sit in class while "shielded" from the covid by plexiglass.

33 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I will never take anything serious from a punter who was face down, naked and drunk on the side of a highway.

You do you though.

18 minutes ago, DE said:

😂

Yes....To add to my factual points, if it sounds crazy that Cousins would sit in a meeting, "shielded" by plexiglass.  Imagine how crazy it is for kids being forced to sit in class while "shielded" from the covid by plexiglass.

I will never take anything serious from a punter who was face down, naked and drunk on the side of a highway.

You do you though.

Still….nothing you have replied to has anything to do with the conversation. This was NOT about the use of plexiglass, ESPECIALLY kids in schools.

If you refuse to even consider what McAfee says, or have such a low, judgmental opinion of him, why even respond? He has at least owned what he did wrong. He never made excuses. You do you though
All I said is he raised interesting points, one about how the league is going to test, and what the league was going to do about players who refuse to say whether they have been vaccinated or not.

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Still….nothing you have replied to has anything to do with the conversation. This was NOT about the use of plexiglass, ESPECIALLY kids in schools.

If you refuse to even consider what McAfee says, or have such a low, judgmental opinion of him, why even respond? He has at least owned what he did wrong. He never made excuses. You do you though
All I said is he raised interesting points, one about how the league is going to test, and what the league was going to do about players who refuse to say whether they have been vaccinated or not.

Make excuses?  🤣

Have a good one.  Best wishes this season.

How could he?

He was found face down, naked/half naked in a ditch.

And here are my 2 cents on Kirk Cousins.  Good for him and good for anyone else who chooses to not inject themselves with a trial vaccine that has proven to have very severe side effects.

Now, moving on....

Jimmy Johnson going into the Cowboys Ring of Honor.

Jerry Jones announced it last night.

John Lynch.  What a GREAT guy.

Calvin Johnson.  What a GREAT guy.

***Only 2 I saw interviewed.

Man did Coach John Gruden have the staff in 02-03 with the Bucs.

When Coach Tomlin was hired in TB, he was 2 years younger than Lynch.  Lynch LOVED playing for him and I can see why.

I know it is only a pre-season game that counts for nothing in the big picture, BUT I sure enjoy seeing the Cowboys lose. Can’t happen often enough! Jerry Jones quoted as saying, I would do ANYTHING to win another Super Bowl. 

On another note, Jimmy Johnson will be inducted (Yawn) in the Hall of Fame. Demeans the whole purpose of having a HOF. Remember him divorcing his wife and saying he hadn’t talked to his sons in years. When asked about it he said he had to remove every distraction in order to win a Super Bowl. Warped values. Just sayin’

BTW did I mention I love 1A high school football! For the love of the game!

• 1 month later...

NFL to Roll Out More Social Justice Messaging in 2021 Season

https://frontofficesports.com/nfl-social-justice-2021-stadiums-signage/

The National Football League will introduce more social justice messaging on fields and player helmets during the upcoming 2021 season, following up on initial efforts from 2020.

“They’re bringing back a lot of elements from last year,” said a source.

To reinforce its 10-year, $250 million commitment to combat systemic racism, the league will promote social justice via on-field signage, decals on player helmets, and in-stadium PSAs.

The NFL also plans to make “Lift Every Voice and Sing” — often referred to as the Black national anthem — a prominent part of all big league events, said sources. They will likely highlight victims of racial injustice with a “Say Their Stories” project, as well.

In today’s hyper-partisan media environment, most fans experience football through the prism of television. This year’s renewed social justice messaging efforts will be visible to the 200 million-plus TV viewers who watch game telecasts each season.

In 2020, the league suffered its first regular-season TV audience downturn in three years. Schedule irregularities and postponements due to COVID-19 were a likely factor, though some propose that social justice messaging impacts viewership as well.

Uggh.  Really thought this would go away after the 2020 season.   I don't watch football to be bombarded with political messaging,  the jingoism of the national anthem is more than enough.

20 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Uggh.  Really thought this would go away after the 2020 season.   I don't watch football to be bombarded with political messaging,  the jingoism of the national anthem is more than enough.

"Lift Every Voice and Sing" seems to roll off the tongue better than "The Black National Anthem."  Doesn't really bother me to be honest.  The latter title seems to promote division and create more strife.  Words matter more so than ever in our society it seems and this is no exception.

As for the "messaging", I can also swallow that pill a bit easier now that they are not putting specific names on helmets.  Especially, when some of the folks' whose names were being utilized were found to be in the wrong.  Terrible decisions and choices often lead to dire consequences.

Edited by temptation
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Muda69 said:

NFL has become a joke.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/ronnie-harrison-jr-ejected-browns-chiefs/1v20kwlet84jm1f9ferjbmtjsv

So it's ok for an NFL coach to shove an opposing player but not for the opposing player to shove back?  

Both should have been ejected from the game.

Just like in most situations, it's the guy that retaliates that gets caught. If reviews are in place, and if the goal is to get calls right, things like this should be reviewed; just like the "roughing the passer" call on Zadarius Smith yesterday; even Aikman said the goal of review is to get things right, and that one was not.........in college, every play is reviewed automatically. 

On another note, the NFC West teams all won their games. That division will be interesting to watch this year.

46 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Just like in most situations, it's the guy that retaliates that gets caught. If reviews are in place, and if the goal is to get calls right, things like this should be reviewed; just like the "roughing the passer" call on Zadarius Smith yesterday; even Aikman said the goal of review is to get things right, and that one was not.........in college, every play is reviewed automatically. 

On another note, the NFC West teams all won their games. That division will be interesting to watch this year.

So the opposite of the NFC North?? 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

I am not condoning the coach's actions...but it would be tough to watch one of your own guys down on the ground indefensible while an opponent using his cleat to step on his stomach, and not do anything to get the opponent off of him.  

My guess is that the coach will receive some discipline from the NFL as well.

Bears fans should be freaking out about Week 1: https://deadspin.com/bears-fans-should-be-freaking-out-about-week-1-1847666496

The old adage is that fans shouldn’t read too much into Week 1 of NFL play.

Bears fans, on the other hand, should absolutely panic.

Sure, Green Bay and Minnesota both lost and looked bad doing it. Schadenfreude is always fun, especially when Green Bay is involved. And normally, I would agree that you can’t tell a ton about a team from the first game. But in the case of the Bears, this is more like Game 37 — it was that many games ago that we figured out that the Bears needed to find a franchise QB. Again.

For once, it looked like the Bears fell-ass backwards into some luck, watching Ohio State star quarterback Justin Fields fall all the way to number 11 in the 2021 draft. “Yes!” we thought, “Everything’s coming up Milhouse!” Only of course, the brain trust in the Bears front office found a way to screw up even the acquisition of a smart, promising QB, instead of, oh, for example, a guy Ryan Pace fell in love with because he drove his grandmother’s old car. Pace, nothing if not a fan of tall, washed-up quarterbacks (Nick Foles being the notable dishwater blonde exception), had already signed free agent Andy Dalton for reasons I explained in the last sentence. And there was no way in hell Pace and head coach Matt Nagy were going to let a little thing like Fields falling in their lap alter the plan to have Dalton lead this team to 3-14.

I know people who have seen Dalton every day in training camp are going to say the Bears made the right call, that Fields needs more time and more reps before they throw him into the chaos of an NFL game. And, looking back at guys like Aaron Rodgers and Patrick Mahomes — who did sit and learn behind veteran QB1s — it, like communism, makes sense in theory. In theory.

But no matter how much Pace and Nagy want to prattle on about Dalton being the “guy” and leader in the huddle and all the other platitudes they love to throw fans’ way, it was pretty clear from Week 1 that Dalton is a mediocre quarterback. Against the Rams last night, he went 27/38 for 208 yards and finished with a QB rating of 72.9. His average pass was 5.4 yards, and he threw an interception into the end zone in the first quarter. Uh... what exactly about that performance could I NOT have gotten from Nick Foles or even a deer-in-the-headlights Mitch Trubisky? Chicago could have saved the $10 million they gave Dalton and tried to fit cornerback Kyle Fuller under the salary cap, because he’d made a much bigger impact on the field than Dalton did.

Matt Nagy’s system (which, except for brief flashes here and there, Bears fans have never actually seen work in any meaningful way), is notoriously difficult to learn. During Nagy’s time with the Bears, the only player who seemed to master it was Chase Daniel, and that was only for a quarter or two. Foles couldn’t make it work. Trubisky looked lost and checked down on nearly every play Nagy called in. And from what we saw last night, Dalton didn’t look that comfortable with it, either. If Nagy isn’t going to give up playcalling (something fans have hoped for now for 3 years running), the Bears might as well throw Justin Fields out there and see if he can make heads or tails of it, instead of using him like Taysom Hill. So, yes, it’s Week 1 and I’m already screaming for Justin Fields, because we’ve all seen this movie before. Pace and Nagy futz around and ensure each other they’re doing the right thing by sitting the kid, convinced the veteran QB they signed to a one-year deal in the offseason will be the bridge QB1 they are always looking for but can never seem to find. They’ll make the change when the Bears hit 1-4, and by that time, the rest of the team will be too banged up and demoralized for it to matter.

Most depressingly, the Bears’ defense, especially the secondary, leaked like a sieve last night, giving up 321 yards to Matt Stafford. We’ve all seen the decline of the defense coming, little by little, injury by injury, while Pace and Nagy played around with the offense like it was a new Hot Wheels toy. Now, it looks like the defense, or at least the secondary, might have hit the point of no return where, far from calling them “elite,” we can’t even call them “good.” And that’s a problem. Outside of small pockets of a season or so, the Bears have rarely had the offense and defense clicking at the same time. And, if last night is any indication, it doesn’t look like Nagy’s anemic offense can count on the D to manufacture points or keep the game close.

The days of “ruining” a young QB by starting him in his rookie season are over. Teams all over the league are getting their young QBs valuable reps and experience leading the offense, even if it means facing adversity along the way. Why not the Bears? Sitting Mitch Trubisky for Mike Glennon was the wrong decision, and sitting Justin Fields for Andy Dalton is similarly wrong.

Play the kid.

I tend to agree, although with some trepidation for young Mr. Fields.   If the Bears' mediocre offensive lines causes a mediocre Mr. Dalton to get hurt,  oh well.  If it causes a budding star like young Mr. Fields to get hurt, well that is my fear.

Buffalo Bills owner threatens to move team if he doesn’t get public funds for new stadium: https://www.foxbusiness.com/politics/buffalo-bills-owner-threatens-to-move-team-if-he-doesnt-get-public-funds-for-new-stadium

If you don’t build it, they will leave: That’s the threat in Buffalo as the owner of the Bills presses for public subsidies to fund a new stadium for the NFL franchise.

Fracking mogul Terry Pegula, who bought the Bills in 2014, wants state money to help pay for a new $1.4 billion stadium to replace the team’s current dated home. If he doesn’t get it, Pegula has said the team could move.

"Right now, the city of Buffalo and the state are going to have to decide if they want a team", Pegula Sports and Entertainment spokesman Jim Wilkinson said in August. He declined to comment further to The Post.

But a source who knows the family and has spoken to them in recent weeks tells The Post that the threats are just that — idle threats: The Pegula family isn’t likely to move the Bills, even if they don’t get state or local funding to help build a new 60,000-seat stadium, the source said.

Still, the Pegula family has spent hundreds of millions of dollars in developments for Western New York — they also own the Buffalo Sabres hockey team — and is reluctant to plow more than a billion dollars more of their own money into a new stadium for the Bills.

Pegula has agreed to cover some of the costs of a new stadium, people familiar with the negotiations tell The Post, but he hasn’t given a specific figure, so it’s also not certain what he’s asking for when it comes to state and local funding. The team is negotiating with state politicians, including Buffalo native and new Gov. Kathy Hochul. The negotiations aren’t at an advanced stage, the sources familiar told The Post.

Hochul’s office confirmed negotiations, which a spokesman said were "ongoing." "Her administration looks forward to sharing details with the public as soon as negotiations are completed," the spokesman said. 

Pegula had tried to start negotiations in 2019 with former Gov. Andrew Cuomo, but they never got off the ground, the sources said, leading to what now is a tight deadline.

The deadline looms because the lease at the Bills’ current home just outside Buffalo, Highmark Stadium, expires in July 2023. And building experts have said it needs $1 billion in repairs in the next five years. Both facts underline that Pegula will need to make a decision soon.

"Renovation is simply not an option — and neither is an extension of the lease that ends in 2023 without a deal," Wilkinson, the Pegula spokesman, told The Post.

Sources familiar with the matter tell The Post that if Pegula can’t come up with a deal by the end of the year, he will seek other alternatives so the Bills can relocate before the lease expires.

Pegula knew at the time he purchased the team that a new stadium would be necessary, said two sports industry sources who have spoken to Pegula in recent years. Because of that, they said they’re skeptical that he would follow through on a threat to move the franchise.

"When he bought the team, he spoke about building a new stadium," one of the sources said, adding that Pegula as of July was worth more than $7 billion, according to Bloomberg calculations. "I don’t think his threats about moving are credible."

"I think Terry will build something. He has the money."

"Everyone went into that 2014 auction to buy the team with their eyes open," a second sports industry source who has spoken to Pegula said. "He doesn’t want to leave Buffalo — and he can’t stay in that building."

If he didn’t come to an agreement for public funding, and if he decided not to put in the money himself for a new stadium, he’d likely sell the team before moving it, the source told The Post.

The Bills, which are profitable and had an operating income of $73 million last year, according to Forbes, would be a desirable franchise for any city: Chatter among NFL watchers say Austin, Texas, or even London could vie for the team if Pegula decided to leave Buffalo. And other NFL owners, who generally split the league’s profits, likely would be happy to see the Bills move to a bigger market.

In the New York City market, there is some precedent for a team’s ownership paying for its own stadium: The New York Giants and New York Jets paid $1.6 billion in 2010 to build MetLife Stadium in New Jersey without public funding

Even if Mr. Pegula has the money to build a new stadium himself you might as well try and threaten... errr ask the public for that sweet, sweet taxpayer money first, right?