Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NFL 2021 Season

Bobref

24 minutes ago, Irishman said:

To clarify; Sapp's trouble was post career; correct? The incident that cost him his job at NFL Network? I was no fan of his, but cannot recall at the moment anything he did while playing. 

Gruden’s Bucs career has been over since 2008, your point?

9 minutes ago, Irishman said:

The NFL is one business, while the teams are franchises of that business. 

Gotcha.  So his employment by the NFL Network still made him an employee of the league, correct?  

Now do recent Bucs signees Richard Sherman and Antonio Brown…

Such an obvious double standard by the Bucs front office.  Sorry you can’t see it.

Get caught up in a scandal AFTER you’ve left our organization?  We will take a stand.

Be involved in multiple scandals WHILE playing AND you can help us win?  Sign the dotted line.

Edited by temptation

3 minutes ago, temptation said:

Gotcha.  So his employment by the NFL Network still made him an employee of the league, correct?  

Now do recent Bucs signees Richard Sherman and Antonio Brown…

Such an obvious double standard by the Bucs front office.  Sorry you can’t see it.

OK...those are current players....you mentioned Sapp a former player........his screw up was while he was with the NFL network; yes, and he was fired for that. Gruden was an NFL employee, and was asked to resign due to his actions. I agree 1000%  there is a double standard for current players compared to coaches. But Gruden was also part of management, not the players' association.

9 minutes ago, Irishman said:

OK...those are current players....you mentioned Sapp a former player........his screw up was while he was with the NFL network; yes, and he was fired for that. Gruden was an NFL employee, and was asked to resign due to his actions. I agree 1000%  there is a double standard for current players compared to coaches. But Gruden was also part of management, not the players' association.

Folks are having no problems  nationwide taking statues and monuments down posthumously…so why not Sapp?

Hard to see a difference here.

26 minutes ago, temptation said:

Folks are having no problems  nationwide taking statues and monuments down posthumously…so why not Sapp?

Hard to see a difference here.

I get what you are saying, and have no issue with the idea that Sapp could be removed from that. What you end up with though is what baseball has to put up with. Does Pete Rose belong in the hall of fame? If we look at career accomplishments, I say he deserves to be. 

But I understand it may be hard to see a difference in the comparisons you made; but for many others, the difference is pretty obvious. 

50 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I get what you are saying, and have no issue with the idea that Sapp could be removed from that. What you end up with though is what baseball has to put up with. Does Pete Rose belong in the hall of fame? If we look at career accomplishments, I say he deserves to be. 

But I understand it may be hard to see a difference in the comparisons you made; but for many others, the difference is pretty obvious. 

I’m salivating for the victims of Sapp, Brown and Sherman’s takes on your last sentence.  I bet they think the difference is obvious as well.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

I’m salivating for the victims of Sapp, Brown and Sherman’s takes on your last sentence.  I bet they think the difference is obvious as well.

I am not referring to current players. You are bouncing all over the place....first it's just Sapp, then you throw in current players. You go back to just Sapp again, and now you are back to including current players again. Got my head spinning....lol 

My reply was to your comment about Sapp being removed being compared to other statues and monuments being removed around the country, posthumously. 

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

I am not referring to current players. You are bouncing all over the place....first it's just Sapp, then you throw in current players. You go back to just Sapp again, and now you are back to including current players again. Got my head spinning....lol 

My reply was to your comment about Sapp being removed being compared to other statues and monuments being removed around the country, posthumously. 

Gotcha and though I can see where you are coming from, it seems there are different rules for different folks, regardless of when the offense took place, by whom the offender was employed and how expendable said employee is.

As I said in my original post, a slippery slope.

I have no problem with Gruden being held accountable.  Ridiculous and sad on his part, although I do feel like his emails were purposely released.  As Derek Carr said, release them all.  Would be interesting.

I struggle with Randy Moss and others on ESPN casting such judgment.  I struggle that no time in their lives, they have not made negative comments about women, same sex choices, and even skin color.  As Christ says, "he who is without sin cast the first stone".......

Hopefully, people use this example to look inside of themselves and become better people.  Not because of Gruden's career impact, but because of his words in writing.  They are indeed hurtful and are opposite of Christ's love.  From what I hear, Gruden treated all people very well.  It just seems like his actions don't align with his thoughts...at least his thoughts 11 years ago.

I also agree with Temptation...organizations want to jump in the middle and make it political...."look at how good we are by taking action....we are enlightened cats that "stand for good".  That's awesome Tampa Bay Bucs...just be consistent and treat all cases the same.  Don't be selective.  Guessing they won't be sharing any emails soon.....

As Derek Carr also said...."love the man, hate the sin".....

• Like 1

I agree with Carr too….rip the cover off, don’t just slowly pull it back. Show them all. As a State employee, all of our emails are held for many years and can be viewed. Not sure what the process is. But if the league really wants to get through this generational thing, expose it all. 
As I stated earlier, I do have a problem with seeing players continue with no consequences. Maybe a legal expert here could clarify…….is it possible to suspend players while investigations are pending? In cases where Sherman openly admitted what he did, there still should be a consequence with his play….although one could say he has missed several games now. The delay in signing him may have something to do with what he did? Does the league have to wait for a conviction? Honestly don’t know, as it may be a CBA thing. 

If the Cowboys lose today, it will be a tough loss. The drive at the end of the half was a killer. They got HOSED on the 3rd down play. There is no way Prescott did not get in. On an extremely rare occasion, you can see from a sideline camera behind the offense that his knees never touched before he crossed the goal line. Two other turnovers in the red zone are killers too though. Fun game to watch if you like defense though. 

• 2 months later...