Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

NFL 2021 Season

Bobref

Just now, temptation said:

I’m often an expert in hyperbole but I think this may have been the most amazing weekend of playoff football I’ve ever seen.

Unreal isn’t it?

Ive been joking with my recent posts about who I “picked”, but Temp, you are spot on. 

11 hours ago, Irishman said:

Bad defense by the Bills….actually by both teams, but only one team had to play defense in OT. I hate the NFL OT rules. It’s a crime that Josh Allen did not get a chance to play. 

I totally agree!  It's about time the NFL enters the 21st century.  The one possession OT is not good or fair.  That OT ending was bad compared to the end of regulation.  Two young QB's really going after it!

I really can't believe that Buffalo allowed KC to move down the field in 13 seconds too.   It looked like prevent defense failed again.  Too much KC speed to control I guess.

And finally, everyone says this is the greatest ending they've ever seen.  The Arena League used to end most of their games this way.

• Haha 1

incredible weekend...3 games with walk-off FG's to win....and 1 in OT.  I agree with Temp....not sure I can remember a round of games like these.

Saw a wild fact tweeted by ESPN....first time in 12 years that a conference title game will not feature Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.

I also had to agree with Tony Romo's comments near the end of the Bills/Chiefs game.  Why didn't the Bill squib kick and put the ball in play to eat up some of the 13 secs left in regulation?  I felt a little sorry for Josh Allen.....young man played his heart out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

incredible weekend...3 games with walk-off FG's to win....and 1 in OT.  I agree with Temp....not sure I can remember a round of games like these.

Saw a wild fact tweeted by ESPN....first time in 12 years that a conference title game will not feature Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers.

I also had to agree with Tony Romo's comments near the end of the Bills/Chiefs game.  Why didn't the Bill squib kick and put the ball in play to eat up some of the 13 secs left in regulation?  I felt a little sorry for Josh Allen.....young man played his heart out.

If Hill somehow got that kick and returned for a TD or long enough to set up the FG they would have been skewered for that. Or if the kick had gone OOB the Chiefs would get the ball at the 40. As a coach you have to pick one and realize good or bad could happen either way. The one he picked turned out to not work, but that doesn't the mother options would have worked.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JustRules said:

If Hill somehow got that kick and returned for a TD or long enough to set up the FG they would have been skewered for that. Or if the kick had gone OOB the Chiefs would get the ball at the 40. As a coach you have to pick one and realize good or bad could happen either way. The one he picked turned out to not work, but that doesn't the mother options would have worked.

I understand....but one doesn't have to kick it to Hill.  A squib kick to the center of the field would have worked.  But I agree that hindsight is always 2020.  

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

I understand....but one doesn't have to kick it to Hill.  A squib kick to the center of the field would have worked.  But I agree that hindsight is always 2020.  

Which KC could then get the ball even closer than the 25.  Maybe 2-3 seconds come off at most. 

Maybe a high pop up kick???

Most rules seem to simply favor offensive football. 

14 hours ago, DE said:

Which KC could then get the ball even closer than the 25.  Maybe 2-3 seconds come off at most. 

Maybe a high pop up kick???

Most rules seem to simply favor offensive football. 

3 secs with 13 sec left is huge.  This is almost 25% of the time burnt.  This means with 10 secs left, probably only have time for 2 plays for substantial yardage....get the ball to midfield if possible and then Hail Mary.  

I believe there were 3 secs on the clock when the FG was attempted and made.  3 secs that most likely wouldn't have been available.

Edited by Bash Riprock
  • Thanks 1

The squib kick could have been recovered and immediately downed depending on where it was recovered. I've also seen squib kicks that hit the back of a receiving team member sooner than expected and recovered before the 40. The risk of a pooch kick is it could be fair caught with no time off the clock (or 1 second) in better field position than the 25. If it's hear the sideline it also has the risk of going OOB giving them the ball at the 35 or further depending on where it goes out.

None of the options are risk free so pick the one you feel the most comfortable doing. Just because this one didn't work in this case doesn't mean it was the wrong option or that one of the other options would have worked better. KC had to make two awesome plays to get in position for the tying FG.

27 minutes ago, JustRules said:

The squib kick could have been recovered and immediately downed depending on where it was recovered. I've also seen squib kicks that hit the back of a receiving team member sooner than expected and recovered before the 40. The risk of a pooch kick is it could be fair caught with no time off the clock (or 1 second) in better field position than the 25. If it's hear the sideline it also has the risk of going OOB giving them the ball at the 35 or further depending on where it goes out.

None of the options are risk free so pick the one you feel the most comfortable doing. Just because this one didn't work in this case doesn't mean it was the wrong option or that one of the other options would have worked better. KC had to make two awesome plays to get in position for the tying FG.

I agree with your comment that I highlighted.  Your explanation included a fair number of hypotheticals..."could haves".  One thing we know, kicking the ball to the end zone eliminates "could haves".  No return, ball on the 25 yd line, and no time consumed.

Bottom line, the defense didn't get it done.  Somehow, they allowed an All-Pro TE run free down the middle of the field with the opposing team having 3 TO's at their disposal.  

At the end of the day, as with the Soprano's...its over.  Just hope this weekend's games are as good as last week.  Hope Cincy comes to play and has a better defense to make it a little harder on KC...easier said than done.

56 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Yeah, and maybe a certain quarterback would want to play for his old coach, with whom he once won a super bowl with.

My friends who are Cowboys fans keep hoping for the same thing there……Except that certain quarterback is who FINALLY got McCarthy fired. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Irishman said:

My friends who are Cowboys fans keep hoping for the same thing there……Except that certain quarterback is who FINALLY got McCarthy fired. 

I knew a couple people back in the day who were not Packers fans, they were Brett Favre fans and would follow him fervently even after he left Green Bay for the Jets then the Vikings.  

I wonder if the Mr. Rodgers has the same kind of following?

16 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

I knew a couple people back in the day who were not Packers fans, they were Brett Favre fans and would follow him fervently even after he left Green Bay for the Jets then the Vikings.  

I wonder if the Mr. Rodgers has the same kind of following?

Possibly….I do think his weekly appearance McAfee’s show helped gain some fans.