Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

State Finals Attendance at an All-Time Low

Tommy

John Harrell’s Twitter page reported that the state finals attendance was 22,476, an all time low for the class era and possibly the lowest in 100 years.

Don’t know what the highest attendance was but take that number and subtract that from this this weekends attendance and multiply that times $15 a ticket PER SESSION and that is the net loss for the IHSAA from it’s peak year.

Maybe the start of boys basketball season needs to be moved back a week like the girls so the state final games do not conflict with the NCAA men’s and women’s tournament games.

The long slow decline of the IHSAA basketball tournament since the change to multi-class continues.   Guaranteed a state finals game pitting Carmel or Ben Davis vs. tiny Silver Creek would put more butts in the stands.

On 3/25/2019 at 1:44 PM, tapsbrowning said:

Nah. The morning session was above average. The evening session was way down because CMA has no fans, neither Ben Davis or Carmel has huge fanbases either, despite their size, and there was no IU or Purdue recruit playing to draw in casual fans. 

I will disagree with you on camels fanbase have you ever seen the turn on they have for the football state finals.  I really do believe that springs break hurts attendance I am sure their is a lot of families that would go to the game but are out of town

Nah. The morning session was above average. The evening session was way down because CMA has no fans, neither Ben Davis or Carmel has huge fanbases either, despite their size, and there was no IU or Purdue recruit playing to draw in casual fans. 

I will disagree with you on camels fanbase have you ever seen the turn on they have for the football state finals.  I really do believe that springs break hurts attendance I am sure their is a lot of families that would go to the game but are out of town

Crowd was well above average for the 1A and 2A sessions. I have photos to prove it.

On 3/25/2019 at 11:08 AM, Muda69 said:

The long slow decline of the IHSAA basketball tournament since the change to multi-class continues.   Guaranteed a state finals game pitting Carmel or Ben Davis vs. tiny Silver Creek would put more butts in the stands.

Small school fans still turn out in big numbers. Well, relatively speaking, since they don't have real big numbers to start with...

"Tiny" Silver Creek? 836 enrollment? That would have been considered a "Big School" back in my day....

But I've seen Silver Creek play and I think they would have been competitive in a "what-if" scenario...

8 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Carmel's spring break does not start until March 29. 

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 12:24 PM, Trojanmp52 said:

I guess I should have said for basketball, but that seemed kind of obvious. 

On ‎3‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 8:05 PM, ts32 said:

Crowd was well above average for the 1A and 2A sessions. I have photos to prove it.

I was very impressed by the turn out from Blackhawk Christian - way more than any other 1A private school in the past. 

Here are the factors.

1) Class Basketball

2) Spring Break Time

3)One that is a major one that no one talks about.  The live streaming of games.  I can be anywhere and watch a game.  If it ends up not being a good game to watch I can merely change the channel or do something else.

4) Having games during the NCAA tournament does not help.

• Like 1