Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Use of Drones to Spy on Football Practices

1 minute ago, Goose Liver said:

This is a real thing in WV... this has been going on for the past several months. I would like everyone to weigh in on this topic. It is easy to swoop down from the hills over a practice field.

That would take one paranoid coach to use a drone to spy on another program.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Goose Liver said:

This is a real thing in WV... this has been going on for the past several months. I would like everyone to weigh in on this topic. It is easy to swoop down from the hills over a practice field.

First time I heard that

3 minutes ago, Goose Liver said:

Should be illegal.

You know, some people are really good shots...

1 minute ago, Goose Liver said:

It is obvious you have never experienced WV Football... 

I try to as little as possible.

The game constantly changes..I've been on the field where the defense called out the offensive play we were attempting to run n they still couldn't stop it..a buddy that played in the NFL said the same thing happens at that level...it may be more about signals being sent in rather than teams knowing what formations are being used...I could see a potential issues when wrinkles are introduced during playoff time..security!!!😁

18 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

Yes it does...and anyone that has been on a crowded dove hunt probably have experienced a little bit of buckshot.  

Recall one New Year's eve as a kid in New Orleans when we were at a friend's house ringing in the new year.  We were out in front the house shooting off fireworks and my dad had a glass of whiskey.  Looked down in his glass and there was a pellet from a shotgun shell at the bottom of the glass  My cousins lived around the corner and I wouldn't be surprised if we were "related" to that pellet.

• Like 1

Having never coached football in my life, can someone tell me exactly how beneficial this would be? 

You would see the team running plays just like you would by watching their game tape.  A drone flying at that distance wouldn't pick up the conversation or terminology being used to call plays I wouldn't think.  Maybe you see them practice a play you they otherwise might not have been expecting and preparing for it if they can gain insight on when it might be used.  Also, if the team knows they are being watched, they could do things to send the other team on a wild goose chase by showing them things they never intend to use/do or even set them up for whatever it is they really do want to run.  It seems like awfully extreme measures to go to for minimal benefit I would think.  The time and effort it would take to do this would seem better spent on preparing your own team.  

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

Recall one New Year's eve as a kid in New Orleans when we were at a friend's house ringing in the new year.  We were out in front the house shooting off fireworks and my dad had a glass of whiskey.  Looked down in his glass and there was a pellet from a shotgun shell at the bottom of the glass  My cousins lived around the corner and I wouldn't be surprised if we were "related" to that pellet.

that is classic!!  It was good he saw it....perhaps wondering if there was only 1 in his glass before he took the prior drinks......

I'm not sure if I have swallowed any buckshot....definitely crunched one here and there in my teeth enjoying some tasty waterfowl dishes.  We all do follow the law, so it had to be steel shot and not lead!!!  

1 hour ago, XStar said:

Having never coached football in my life, can someone tell me exactly how beneficial this would be? 

You would see the team running plays just like you would by watching their game tape.  A drone flying at that distance wouldn't pick up the conversation or terminology being used to call plays I wouldn't think.  Maybe you see them practice a play you they otherwise might not have been expecting and preparing for it if they can gain insight on when it might be used.  Also, if the team knows they are being watched, they could do things to send the other team on a wild goose chase by showing them things they never intend to use/do or even set them up for whatever it is they really do want to run.  It seems like awfully extreme measures to go to for minimal benefit I would think.  The time and effort it would take to do this would seem better spent on preparing your own team.  

Read @Muda69’s comment. As a former coach, he is correct. HS football is a game played mostly by kids. 

As coaches, many times we would over analyze.