Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HHF/GID Interview with Columbus North Head Coach Tim Bless

Guest DT

HHF Interview with Columbus North Head Coach Tim Bless

The defending Conference Indiana champs look to repeat in 2021 and take another step forward in the post season tournament.

Hello Coach Bless, and thanks for joining as at Hoosier High School Football and The Gridiron Digest

Question 1
For starters, how have your summer workouts and team competitions been going thru June and July, and what specific areas have you been working on to prepare your team for fall football?
Response
- We feel very good about what we've accomplished this summer. Our in-house work, a 1-day camp at Grand Park (scrimmaging Avon and Plainfield) along with scrimmages vs. Whiteland, Lawrence North and Noblesville gave us great competition and a ton of reps. Heading into Fall Camp, we've installed our entire playbook (with the exception of unique situations) and worked hard on our strength, speed development and football-specific conditioning.

Question 2
Coach, over your 21 year career at CN, you have built a program that is consistently in the running for a conference championship and is always a threat to make a run in the post season. What is the core identity of your program today in terms of your offensive and defensive approach, and in the attitude that is instilled in your players as they come up through the feeder system and eventually reach the varsity?
Response
- Thank you. "Expect to Win, Prepare to Win" has been our program mantra since we took over the CNFB program in 2000. We understand that we often will not be more physically gifted nor have more depth than our opponent. Thus, we strive to be the hardest working, most physical, most fundamental and most disciplined team on the field every Friday night. This preparation leads to an expectation of success.

Question 3
What are your overall thoughts on Conference Indiana? Who are some of the programs that you see making consistent improvement? How would you evaluate the overall talent level, coaching and level of play you see weekly in league play during the season? And would you like to see the conference expand and add additional members to help fill more of your non conference openings? Is a merger with the Circle City a possibility?
Response
- Like most years, I see CI as a toss up going into the season. As the defending champions, we know we have a target on our backs. There are several returning talented players on each team, along with some move-ins and transfers that have changed the dynamic of some of the rosters. It will be an exciting run! We still play really good football in Conference Indiana; unfortunately our league has lost teams and stature over the years. Back in the day when LC, Pike, DC, Martinsville and FC were all in the conference, the landscape was certainly different. Having a six-team league presents big challenges with scheduling, so I'm hopeful something happens soon with our conference (expansion or merger). It's a challenge to find a couple non-conferences games; four is really tough.

Question 4
Every coach loves to have a D1 recruit on their roster, especially one in the trenches who can have a big impact on controlling the line of scrimmage. Columbus North has had its share of top level recruits over the years. How would you assess the current talent level and depth of your offensive and defensive lines, and is the program still developing that high end talent that we might see playing on Saturdays in the future?
Response
- We've certainly had our share of scholarship student-athletes over the years and take pride in the development and exposure our program provides our players. Our current roster does not compare to some we've had over the years; but, we have a handful of seniors (DB Jaxson Scruggs, OL Neal Likens and QB Luke Hammons have garnered the most attention) who will find their fit at the next level and some underclassmen (notably Savion Miles) with those aspirations as well.

Question 5
Who are some of the other key returnees that will be making a difference for the Bulldogs this fall?
Response
- Going into Fall Camp, we'll lean heavily on several returning starters. Offensively, the show revolves around returning dual threat, All-Conference QB Luke Hammons and several talented perimeter players including All-Conference WR Keegan Castetter, Honorable Mention All-Conference WR Tyler Blythe and WR Cooper Horn (an outstanding basketball talent playing football for the first time). Up front, All Conference tackle Neal Likens and returning center Kok Kao Yee will lead us as we develop three new starters. Though a back-up, RB Dyllan Redmon rushed for close to 500 yards last year and should have a strong year.
Defensively, we'll be strong up front led by Likens returning at end and two returners in the interior in Dawson Adams and Savion Miles. Our lone returning starter at LB is Conner Essick, who is sliding inside to the Mike position. Our shell has good experience at safety with top prospect Jaxson Scruggs moving from corner to safety along with last year's nickel, Matt Hager. We have some athletic CBs in competition - we'll see who comes out on top.

Question 6
CN comes in with just around 2100 students, which puts you at the bottom end of Class 6A in total 9-12 enrollment. MIC schools have dominated the 6A tournament since the class was introduced, and there are no indications that trend will change soon. Would you be in favor of reducing Class 6A to the top 24 schools in enrollment, which would raise the smallest 6A school enrollment up to approximately 2600 and would push CN and several others including Merrillville, Warsaw, Lafayette Jeff, Chesterton, Valpo down to 5A?
Response
- I remember telling a BCSC administrator when the 6th class began that we were not equipped to compete consistently in 6A. No offense to our players or staff, football is a game of numbers. For every stud player we have, the mega schools have two or three. The same goes for staffing as well as key factors like facilities, feeder programs and finances. So, YES I would be in favor of changing 6A as soon as possible. The enrollment discrepancy from the top of 6A to the bottom is ridiculous and in some cases, borderline unsafe.

Question 7
How would you rate your strength, conditioning and speed development programs against your peers in Central Indiana, and do you feel this is an area of strength that you can leverage to close the gap between yourselves and the very top schools in 6A?
Response
- Strength and Conditioning has always been my passion; it's the foundation of our football program, and if I had to point at the key factor of our success over the years, it's the weight room - the emphasis with which we place in it, our programming and most importantly the efforts of our athletes therein. My strength and conditioning cohort (and defensive line coach) Jordan Sharp does an outstanding job; thus, over the past few years I've delegated much of it to him and give him his due credit.

Question 8
You have a tremendous schedule in 2021, where you will see Purdue bound QB Brady Allen and Gibson Southern, your great rival Columbus East, and two of the very best teams in the state in Roncalli and Cathedral back to back on September 10 and 17th. All this in addition to your challenging CI schedule. What is your general philosphy on non conference scheduling, and do you like the flexibility that being in CI gives you with all the open dates for interesting out of conference matchups?
Response
- I'm reminded of the Lou Holtz quote years ago when talking about his schedule, 'I sleep like a baby - I wake up crying every hour...' Kidding aside, this is an exciting challenge that we'll embrace and attack. As mentioned before, I'd prefer conference expansion/merger because it is very difficult to schedule that many non-conference games and at times makes for excessive travel (especially when considering sub-varsity doing it on a Saturday am). In fact, last year we lost a varsity game because we had to contract an Ohio school (who then couldn't pay us due to the pandemic).

Question 9
What collection of circumstances will it take for a small 6A such as yourselves to break thru the mega school juggernaut in Indianapolis and pull off a "Milan Miracle" and play for a state championship in the largest classification? Can it be done?
Response
- A norovirus causing a mega school to quarantine a chunk of its roster? (I know, bad joke!). Seriously, Never say Never. We tell our kids, "thankfully, we don't have to win a best of five series, we only have to win one Friday night (at a time). Why not us?!

Great stuff Coach! Thanks and best to you and your team in the coming fall season

19CNfoot.BlessTim.jpg

images (3).jpg

HHFLogo.jpg

23 minutes ago, DT said:
HHF Interview with Columbus North Head Coach Tim Bless

The defending Conference Indiana champs look to repeat in 2021 and take another step forward in the post season tournament.

Hello Coach Bless, and thanks for joining as at Hoosier High School Football and The Gridiron Digest

Question 1
For starters, how have your summer workouts and team competitions been going thru June and July, and what specific areas have you been working on to prepare your team for fall football?
Response
- We feel very good about what we've accomplished this summer. Our in-house work, a 1-day camp at Grand Park (scrimmaging Avon and Plainfield) along with scrimmages vs. Whiteland, Lawrence North and Noblesville gave us great competition and a ton of reps. Heading into Fall Camp, we've installed our entire playbook (with the exception of unique situations) and worked hard on our strength, speed development and football-specific conditioning.

Question 2
Coach, over your 21 year career at CN, you have built a program that is consistently in the running for a conference championship and is always a threat to make a run in the post season. What is the core identity of your program today in terms of your offensive and defensive approach, and in the attitude that is instilled in your players as they come up through the feeder system and eventually reach the varsity?
Response
- Thank you. "Expect to Win, Prepare to Win" has been our program mantra since we took over the CNFB program in 2000. We understand that we often will not be more physically gifted nor have more depth than our opponent. Thus, we strive to be the hardest working, most physical, most fundamental and most disciplined team on the field every Friday night. This preparation leads to an expectation of success.

Question 3
What are your overall thoughts on Conference Indiana? Who are some of the programs that you see making consistent improvement? How would you evaluate the overall talent level, coaching and level of play you see weekly in league play during the season? And would you like to see the conference expand and add additional members to help fill more of your non conference openings? Is a merger with the Circle City a possibility?
Response
- Like most years, I see CI as a toss up going into the season. As the defending champions, we know we have a target on our backs. There are several returning talented players on each team, along with some move-ins and transfers that have changed the dynamic of some of the rosters. It will be an exciting run! We still play really good football in Conference Indiana; unfortunately our league has lost teams and stature over the years. Back in the day when LC, Pike, DC, Martinsville and FC were all in the conference, the landscape was certainly different. Having a six-team league presents big challenges with scheduling, so I'm hopeful something happens soon with our conference (expansion or merger). It's a challenge to find a couple non-conferences games; four is really tough.

Question 4
Every coach loves to have a D1 recruit on their roster, especially one in the trenches who can have a big impact on controlling the line of scrimmage. Columbus North has had its share of top level recruits over the years. How would you assess the current talent level and depth of your offensive and defensive lines, and is the program still developing that high end talent that we might see playing on Saturdays in the future?
Response
- We've certainly had our share of scholarship student-athletes over the years and take pride in the development and exposure our program provides our players. Our current roster does not compare to some we've had over the years; but, we have a handful of seniors (DB Jaxson Scruggs, OL Neal Likens and QB Luke Hammons have garnered the most attention) who will find their fit at the next level and some underclassmen (notably Savion Miles) with those aspirations as well.

Question 5
Who are some of the other key returnees that will be making a difference for the Bulldogs this fall?
Response
- Going into Fall Camp, we'll lean heavily on several returning starters. Offensively, the show revolves around returning dual threat, All-Conference QB Luke Hammons and several talented perimeter players including All-Conference WR Keegan Castetter, Honorable Mention All-Conference WR Tyler Blythe and WR Cooper Horn (an outstanding basketball talent playing football for the first time). Up front, All Conference tackle Neal Likens and returning center Kok Kao Yee will lead us as we develop three new starters. Though a back-up, RB Dyllan Redmon rushed for close to 500 yards last year and should have a strong year.
Defensively, we'll be strong up front led by Likens returning at end and two returners in the interior in Dawson Adams and Savion Miles. Our lone returning starter at LB is Conner Essick, who is sliding inside to the Mike position. Our shell has good experience at safety with top prospect Jaxson Scruggs moving from corner to safety along with last year's nickel, Matt Hager. We have some athletic CBs in competition - we'll see who comes out on top.

Question 6
CN comes in with just around 2100 students, which puts you at the bottom end of Class 6A in total 9-12 enrollment. MIC schools have dominated the 6A tournament since the class was introduced, and there are no indications that trend will change soon. Would you be in favor of reducing Class 6A to the top 24 schools in enrollment, which would raise the smallest 6A school enrollment up to approximately 2600 and would push CN and several others including Merrillville, Warsaw, Lafayette Jeff, Chesterton, Valpo down to 5A?
Response
- I remember telling a BCSC administrator when the 6th class began that we were not equipped to compete consistently in 6A. No offense to our players or staff, football is a game of numbers. For every stud player we have, the mega schools have two or three. The same goes for staffing as well as key factors like facilities, feeder programs and finances. So, YES I would be in favor of changing 6A as soon as possible. The enrollment discrepancy from the top of 6A to the bottom is ridiculous and in some cases, borderline unsafe.

Question 7
How would you rate your strength, conditioning and speed development programs against your peers in Central Indiana, and do you feel this is an area of strength that you can leverage to close the gap between yourselves and the very top schools in 6A?
Response
- Strength and Conditioning has always been my passion; it's the foundation of our football program, and if I had to point at the key factor of our success over the years, it's the weight room - the emphasis with which we place in it, our programming and most importantly the efforts of our athletes therein. My strength and conditioning cohort (and defensive line coach) Jordan Sharp does an outstanding job; thus, over the past few years I've delegated much of it to him and give him his due credit.

Question 8
You have a tremendous schedule in 2021, where you will see Purdue bound QB Brady Allen and Gibson Southern, your great rival Columbus East, and two of the very best teams in the state in Roncalli and Cathedral back to back on September 10 and 17th. All this in addition to your challenging CI schedule. What is your general philosphy on non conference scheduling, and do you like the flexibility that being in CI gives you with all the open dates for interesting out of conference matchups?
Response
- I'm reminded of the Lou Holtz quote years ago when talking about his schedule, 'I sleep like a baby - I wake up crying every hour...' Kidding aside, this is an exciting challenge that we'll embrace and attack. As mentioned before, I'd prefer conference expansion/merger because it is very difficult to schedule that many non-conference games and at times makes for excessive travel (especially when considering sub-varsity doing it on a Saturday am). In fact, last year we lost a varsity game because we had to contract an Ohio school (who then couldn't pay us due to the pandemic).

Question 9
What collection of circumstances will it take for a small 6A such as yourselves to break thru the mega school juggernaut in Indianapolis and pull off a "Milan Miracle" and play for a state championship in the largest classification? Can it be done?
Response
- A norovirus causing a mega school to quarantine a chunk of its roster? (I know, bad joke!). Seriously, Never say Never. We tell our kids, "thankfully, we don't have to win a best of five series, we only have to win one Friday night (at a time). Why not us?!

Great stuff Coach! Thanks and best to you and your team in the coming fall season

19CNfoot.BlessTim.jpg

images (3).jpg

HHFLogo.jpg

“The enrollment discrepancy from the top of 6A to the bottom is ridiculous and in some cases, borderline unsafe.”

Game, set, match.  My work here is done.

2 hours ago, temptation said:

“The enrollment discrepancy from the top of 6A to the bottom is ridiculous and in some cases, borderline unsafe.”

Game, set, match.  My work here is done.

Lets not overindulge in self congratulations my friend.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to come to that conclusion.

What I like is the coach's willingness to air it out in the open.

Just now, DT said:

Lets not overindulge in self congratulations my friend.

It doesnt take a rocket scientist to come to that conclusion.

What I like is the coach's willingness to air it out in the open.

I was ridiculed for making this exact same statement on this very message board back in May.

Its great to see someone who walks the front lines and is tuned in with the sport and the youth that play it say the same.

(Willing to bet he doesn’t get throttled for saying it though.)

52 minutes ago, temptation said:

I was ridiculed for making this exact same statement on this very message board back in May.

Its great to see someone who walks the front lines and is tuned in with the sport and the youth that play it say the same.

Sent you a DM

Coach Bless makes a very good point

His school has 2100 kids.  Carmel has 5200.  Carmel can go 3 deep at every position and rotate fresh bodies.  CN likely will have multiple goes going both ways.  This is inherently dangerous and puts one team at a huge disadvantage.  yet they are in the same class?  

The proposal to reduce 6A to the top 24 schools in enrollment is the best fix for this issue.  

On 7/31/2021 at 8:36 PM, temptation said:

Serious question, has Columbus North ever played Ben Davis, Carmel, or Warren Central in their mega-enrollment days? I find his comments extremely hypocritical if not flat out embarrassing as he has no problem scheduling schools like Gibson Southern and Guerin Catholic who have 700-800 kids compared to his 2100 students. Let's not throw stones here. I have no problem calling him out. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DanteEstonia said:

Columbus North had a series against Carmel a few years ago.

Oh.

So he voluntarily scheduled Carmel despite the fact that it is “borderline unsafe”? Seems logical.

This reeks of sour grapes, similar to Jon Broughton and the multiplier campaign despite losing to a p/p twice in 30+ years. If the like-sized public that knocks his team out every year wasn’t the face of 6A, he might have a leg to stand on.

15 minutes ago, Grover said:

CG is what...2600 students?  He wants to be sheltered from them but it's okay for CG to play Carmel.  This is the typical BS I've read on this forum for years.  Surprised to see a coach say the same thing.

It is not surprising to see a coach want to change the rules to he can actually make it out of sectionals.😉

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Grover said:

CG is what...2600 students?  He wants to be sheltered from them but it's okay for CG to play Carmel.  This is the typical BS I've read on this forum for years.  Surprised to see a coach say the same thing.

He’s virtue signaling. Clearly. Had no problems scheduling Carmel in 2013 and 2014, in a non-elimination game, and routinely schedules schools with nearly 3x smaller enrollment. It has nothing to do with safety.

It’d be more honorable if he just came out and said, “We need to do something about 6A, I’m tired of losing to Center Grove”, although that wouldn’t gain any attraction. But drum up a non-issue that doesn’t affect the CN program and through safety issues in there, will definitely turn heads.

2 minutes ago, DT said:

Let's keep it respectful fellas

Do you agree with his comments?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

He’s virtue signaling. Clearly. Had no problems scheduling Carmel in 2013 and 2014, in a non-elimination game, and routinely schedules schools with nearly 3x smaller enrollment. It has nothing to do with safety.

It’d be more honorable if he just came out and said, “We need to do something about 6A, I’m tired of losing to Center Grove”, although that wouldn’t gain any attraction. But drum up a non-issue that doesn’t affect the CN program and through safety issues in there, will definitely turn heads.

Do you agree with his comments?

First, I have great respect for the coach and for the Bless family.  Tim Bless has been at CN for 21 years.  That kind of committment deserves some recognition and respect.

Second, Center Grove is a beast from another time.  Many coaches in Northwest Indiana lost their jobs over the years, including Rick Wimmer at Merrillville, because they could not beat the "smaller Hobart Brickies."  CG is a modern day Hobart.  They beat everyone and they do it soundly and routinely.  CG does not beat CN with a two or 3 platoon system, ike he suggests a carmel or a BD or a WC would due to their size advantages.  CG beats small, medium and large alike because they out execute people on a regular basis.  

You do bring up some good points about CN scheduling smaller schools.  I think the philosophy at CN is to get Catholic schools on the schedule whenever and wherever possible.  Sometimes its smaller PPs, sometimes, like this year with Roncalli and Cathedral, its the bigger ones.  

Nick Hart is the reason that CN is playing Gibson Southern.  Hart wanted to challenge his team to go beyond the normal 2A, 3A competition they see so they scheduled Columbus North for a two years series, knowing they would have a Big Ten QB to take them onto the field in Brady Allen.  GS picks up Terre Haute South next year.  

Columbus North, in my view, is one oif the more interesting schools in the state, and one of the prime reasons I want to see Class 6A reduced to the Top 24 schools in enrollment.  These schools with 2000 students are completely missing out on the post season due to the fact that they are buried at the bottom of 6A in enrollment.  Merrillville, Warsaw, Chesterton, Valpo, Lafayette Jeff , Jeffersonville are several others.  Great schools, no chance to get to LOS without a "MIlan Miracle" set of circumstances.  

From an outsiders perspective, North and East are very different schools.  East is southern Indiana, Hoosier Hills, a football juggernaut in hoops country.  North is more connected to Indy, a big suburban mindset, and a school with a broader perspective on scheduling and travel.  Youve literally got Yankees and Rebels on separate sides of Columbus.  Thats probably why east will always fight against Norths entry into the Hoosier Hills.  (I dont think North wants anything to do with it frankly)

27 minutes ago, DT said:

First, I have great respect for the coach and for the Bless family.  Tim Bless has been at CN for 21 years.  That kind of committment deserves some recognition and respect.

Second, Center Grove is a beast from another time.  Many coaches in Northwest Indiana lost their jobs over the years, including Rick Wimmer at Merrillville, because they could not beat the "smaller Hobart Brickies."  CG is a modern day Hobart.  They beat everyone and they do it soundly and routinely.  CG does not beat CN with a two or 3 platoon system, ike he suggests a carmel or a BD or a WC would due to their size advantages.  CG beats small, medium and large alike because they out execute people on a regular basis.  

You do bring up some good points about CN scheduling smaller schools.  I think the philosophy at CN is to get Catholic schools on the schedule whenever and wherever possible.  Sometimes its smaller PPs, sometimes, like this year with Roncalli and Cathedral, its the bigger ones.  

Nick Hart is the reason that CN is playing Gibson Southern.  Hart wanted to challenge his team to go beyond the normal 2A, 3A competition they see so they scheduled Columbus North for a two years series, knowing they would have a Big Ten QB to take them onto the field in Brady Allen.  GS picks up Terre Haute South next year.  

Columbus North, in my view, is one oif the more interesting schools in the state, and one of the prime reasons I want to see Class 6A reduced to the Top 24 schools in enrollment.  These schools with 2000 students are completely missing out on the post season due to the fact that they are buried at the bottom of 6A in enrollment.  Merrillville, Warsaw, Chesterton, Valpo, Lafayette Jeff , Jeffersonville are several others.  Great schools, no chance to get to LOS without a "MIlan Miracle" set of circumstances.  

From an outsiders perspective, North and East are very different schools.  East is southern Indiana, Hoosier Hills, a football juggernaut in hoops country.  North is more connected to Indy, a big suburban mindset, and a school with a broader perspective on scheduling and travel.  Youve literally got Yankees and Rebels on separate sides of Columbus.  Thats probably why east will always fight against Norths entry into the Hoosier Hills.  (I dont think North wants anything to do with it frankly)

That doesn't answer any of my questions/issues with what Coach Bless said.

In your interview, Coach Bless specifically said, "The enrollment discrepancy from the top of 6A to the bottom is ridiculous and in some cases, borderline unsafe". Carmel (being at the very top of 6A) and Columbus North (bottom of 6A) scheduled games in back to back years in 2013 and 2014. If Coach Bless truly believed that was "borderline unsafe" why schedule those games in the first place? Would that be negligence on his part if he truly believed that statement to be true? (I personally don't believe he thinks that).

I get why a school like GS is wanting to play up in competition, it happens every year, but if safety is the primary concern as Coach Bless states in your interview, isn't a school with 2100 kids playing a school with 700 kids unsafe? The enrollment disparity between Columbus North and Gibson Southern is greater than the enrollment disparity between Columbus North and Carmel. It's very hypocritical if you ask me. 

Edited by Footballking16

9 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

That doesn't answer any of my questions/issues with what Coach Bless said.

In your interview, Coach Bless specifically said, "The enrollment discrepancy from the top of 6A to the bottom is ridiculous and in some cases, borderline unsafe". Carmel (being at the very top of 6A) and Columbus North (bottom of 6A) scheduled games in back to back years in 2013 and 2014. If Coach Bless truly believed that was "borderline unsafe" why schedule those games in the first place? Would that be negligence on his part if he truly believed that statement to be true? (I personally don't believe he thinks that).

I get why a school like GS is wanting to play up in competition, it happens every year, but if safety is the primary concern as Coach Bless states in your interview, isn't a school with 2100 kids playing a school with 700 kids unsafe? The enrollment disparity between Columbus North and Gibson Southern is greater than the enrollment disparity between Columbus North and Carmel. It's very hypocritical if you ask me. 

perhaps Bless developed his attitude on the mega schools after completing the Carmel series.  

6 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

And yet continues to schedule schools that are 3x smaller than Columbus North's enrollment? 

Im not defending his scheduling philosophy.  I do however completely understand it.  Guerin and GS are not your typical 700 student high schools.  

CN has 4 open dates to fill.  You simply cannot call all of the shots with that many open dates.  Sometimes you have to settle.

Did we beat up Chesterton last year when they agreed to go play at Pioneer?

I remember being worried for the Benton Central kids when thy had to go play at West Lafayette and line up against Big G and his burly gang of Red Devils.  I was genuinely worried about their physical safety.  

Each situation is different.  The 'last" thing I would ever accuse CN of is taking the easy road 

Check in with Bless after he goes back to back with Roncalli and Cathedral in mid September.  

Just now, DT said:

Im not defending his scheduling philosophy.  I do however completely understand it.  Guerin and GS are not your typical 700 student high schools.  

CN has 4 open dates to fill.  You simply cannot call all of the shots with that many open dates.  Sometimes you have to settle.

I remember being worried for the Benton Central kids when thy had to go play at West Lafayette and line up against Big G and his burly gang of Red Devils.  I was genuinely worried about their physical safety.  

Each situation is different.  The 'last" thing I would ever accuse CN of is taking the easy road 

Check in with Bless after he goes back to back with Roncalli and Cathedral in mid September.    As we speak today, RHS and CHS are better teams and stronger programs than BD and WC.  

16 minutes ago, DT said:

Check in with Bless after he goes back to back with Roncalli and Cathedral in mid September.  

I don't understand his innocuous comment in regards to the discrepancy in enrollment in 6A. It's never affected one of his Columbus North teams as he can't ever beat the like-sized public school 20 miles up the road. Hell, he can't beat Franklin Central or Jeffersonville for that matter. It reeks of sour grapes. No coach who has willingly scheduled Carmel and continually schedules schools that are 3x smaller really has a leg to stand on in regards to player safety if we're simply talking raw numbers. It would be hypocritical in nature.