Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Colts 2021

Muda69

1 minute ago, Muda69 said:

Noted.

Mr. Eason couldn't improvise his way out of a paper bag.  I'll take more football smarts and scrambling ability than a rocket arm any day of the week.   The days of Brady, Manning, Roethlisberger, etc. are coming to a quick end.  

Perhaps but lets also consider the personnel the defense had in late in the game.

1 minute ago, temptation said:

Perhaps but lets also consider the personnel the defense had in late in the game.

I'll agree with your there.  I don't believe Mr. Eason or Mr. Erhlinger have much hope yet against a first string NFL defense.

• 4 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Methinks that the pre-season accolades towards the Colts defense and their o-line went to their heads.  That was a very disappointing performance. 

I know that sometimes one play can be over magnified and blown out of proportion but I believe the decision to kick the FG on 4th and goal from the 2 after a 9 minute opening drive was asinine.  Most professional coaches are way too conservative when it comes to this decision in my opinion.  That was a huge win for Seattle and they went down and scored anyway and the Colts never recovered.

Even in the event they stop you there, the likelihood of them driving 98-99 yards is pretty damn low.  

I'm all for "taking the points" early in the game in certain circumstances, but not that one.

• 3 weeks later...
18 hours ago, Irishman said:

The Colts have agreed to honor Marlin Mack's request for a trade. Not sure what they will get for him, if anything. A torn Achilles is tough for a running back to recover from; the risk has to be really high on taking him. 

Things went south fast between Mack and the Colts...wonder what happened behind the scenes??

1 hour ago, Muda69 said:

Jonathan Taylor happened.

that's probably the root cause.....

but when they gave Mack a one year deal in March instead of releasing him, many thought for at least a season, we would see a 1-2 punch.  Guess that has changed, but changed quickly....

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/3/17/22336717/breaking-news-colts-re-signing-running-back-marlon-mack-to-a-1-year-2-million-deal

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

that's probably the root cause.....

but when they gave Mack a one year deal in March instead of releasing him, many thought for at least a season, we would see a 1-2 punch.  Guess that has changed, but changed quickly....

https://www.stampedeblue.com/2021/3/17/22336717/breaking-news-colts-re-signing-running-back-marlon-mack-to-a-1-year-2-million-deal

Mack was never going to be the “2” in that “1-2” punch. Nyheim Hines could start for a lot of NFL teams.

12 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

Mack was never going to be the “2” in that “1-2” punch. Nyheim Hines could start for a lot of NFL teams.

Hines is great no doubt.  But Mack and Hines are different backs.  Mack is 6' 210lb man that was a workhorse between the tackles.  He broked the 1000 yd barrier in 2019 before going down with an injury in early 2020.  When I say "1-2" punch, I am talking the kind of back than can run repeatedly inside.  Taylor and Mack can do that.  Hines is not that kind of back.  Had he been seen as such a back, there would have been no reason to draft Taylor following the 2019 season.

Mack could have been released with Taylor and Hines on the roster, but he wasn't.  He was given a $2M contract for a season in March 2021.  Clearly, the GM felt he would compliment Taylor with fresh legs.  All I am saying, is that feeling changed quickly once the season started...so much that I don't believe Mack was even active last Sunday.  I am curious what happened to change Ballard's mind from earlier in March.

Edited by Bash Riprock

• 2 weeks later...

Last night's loss was the worst loss in the 37 year history of the Indianapolis Colts.  Frank needs to put away the "prevent" defense when his team gets a "comfortable" lead and he needs to find a new kicker.  Going for a two point conversion when up 22-3 was wrong.  The two missed extra points and the missed field goal was the difference in the game.  Frank's a nice man and a decent X&O coach, but he doesn't know how to win when having a lead.  This wasn't the first time this has happened.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Last night's loss was the worst loss in the 37 year history of the Indianapolis Colts.  Frank needs to put away the "prevent" defense when his team gets a "comfortable" lead and he needs to find a new kicker.  Going for a two point conversion when up 22-3 was wrong.  The two missed extra points and the missed field goal was the difference in the game.  Frank's a nice man and a decent X&O coach, but he doesn't know how to win when having a lead.  This wasn't the first time this has happened.

That loss last night has the potential to derail the rest of the entire season.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole thing continues to unravel for the Colts.

ESPN FPI had the Colts’ win probability at 98 percent midway through the 4th quarter, lol.

2 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Defense absolutely gassed. Down 3 defensive backs and a couple lineman. I don't fault the defense for last nights loss, they played about as well as you could ask and then some for 3.5 quarters despite being shorthanded.

This game was lost when Reich tried to run out the clock with 5 minutes left. Unless you've never watched an NFL game until last night, typically the team with the ball last wins. Reich playing for a FG with an injured kicker instead of trying to get a first down is the reason why the Colts lost. They were the aggressor the entire night until they got in FG range on their 2nd to last driver up 8 points. 

Edited by Footballking16

2 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

It's time for Irsay to clean house.

5 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

Defense absolutely gassed. Down 3 defensive backs and a couple lineman. I don't fault the defense for last nights loss, they played about as well as you could ask and then some for 3.5 quarters despite being shorthanded.

This game was lost when Reich tried to run out the clock with 5 minutes left. Unless you've never watched an NFL game until last night, typically the team with the ball last wins. Reich playing for a FG with an injured kicker instead of trying to get a first down is the reason why the Colts lost. They were the aggressor the entire night until they got in FG range on their 2nd to last driver up 8 points. 

The defense was in a loose "prevent" in the third quarter after taking the 22-3 lead.  It's been a Frank characteristic to pull the plug early when building a nice lead.  It hasn't happened much this season, but he does it out of habit, I guess.  Frank gets conservative quite often.

And when you get right down to it, the kicker cost 'em the game, missing an extra point after the 2nd score and of course missing the las FG try.  If he was truly injured, you are correct that they shouldn't have been playing for a FG to win the game.

But that's my opinion, yours might vary.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, temptation said:

That loss last night has the potential to derail the rest of the entire season.  I wouldn’t be surprised if the whole thing continues to unravel for the Colts.

ESPN FPI had the Colts’ win probability at 98 percent midway through the 4th quarter, lol.

IMHO, it will be difficult for the Colts to finish at .500.  That was a terrible loss.

On 10/12/2021 at 10:25 AM, Footballking16 said:

I hear ya and don't necessarily disagree....but Reich had went for it on 4th down in the first half close to the red zone and they were stopped....came away with 0 points.  Maybe that was in his head the 2nd half.  I believe on the series you are referencing, he ran for it on 3rd down, in lieu of throwing the ball, to eat the clock and the Colts were stopped.  He then lined up for the FG and the 37 yarder was blocked on some atrocious attempt by the O line.   The 6'8" guy that blocked the kick could have shaken hands with the kicker.

The issue I had with the D is that they did nothing to stop the bleeding.  They let a TE and one WR beat them.  Watkins was out of the game due to an injury and nothing was changed by the D.  Double team the TE...even the announcers were calling for the D to blitz.  They gave Jackson zero different looks.  Rush 4, play soft zone and let the TE sink in between defenders.  They made it easy.  I get they were wiped out at the DB position with just signed practice guys even playing...but playing repeated soft zones with the same 4 man rush made it very easy for a QB that is not the 2nd coming of Marino when it comes to passing.

2 missed FG's (one blocked) and a missed XP was a killer.  Going for 2 points early after a 2nd half TD and failing instead of the XP was a killer.  They needed 1 more point...and it just wasn't there....they found multiple ways to lose that game....almost invented them.  

I will give Reich credit. He is pretty consistent as far as going for it on 4th down, or even last year going for 2 against the Bills. If the team executes those, he is praised as gutsy....and honestly, many can be upset about going for 2, but it was a GREAT call; the ball was within reach of the receiver, and his hands touched the ball. If you are a road dog in the playoffs, why not be aggressive? 

As far as the defense goes, even the best cover guys will look bad when there is little to no pass rush. The defense did its job for most of the game. Games like this are tough to watch, and are gut wrenching; but they are still a fairly young team. This game and the game against the Rams even, shows they are close.....perhaps closer than many fans really want to think??? 

Frank goes for 4th down early in games, but he's been is not good at closing out games.  This isn't the first time he's gone conservative too early.  Once you back off, it's very difficult to get it going again.  Also I had forgotten the decision to go for two after the 3rd TD.  It was way too early to worry about the previous missed XP, and that one point would have won the game.  

This game was just a gigantic clusterbleep!

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Nice win for the Colts in the elements Sunday night.  Frank even let Wentz throw the ball late in the game with a lead!

Tomorrow's game with Tennessee is BIG!

Yes.  Still a playoff contender with a win tomorrow and the remaining teams on the schedule.

Should be able to beat Houston again, Jacksonville twice and the Jets.

Find a couple more and that gets you to 10.

Edited by temptation