Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Next Week's Scrimmages

I always look forward to these as they are at least some form of Friday night football.  That said, is it me or are more and more coaches playing these so conservatively that they really have just turned into a JV football game?  Have they outlived their usefulness?  Does the risk of injury outweigh the value of the competition?  Perhaps the way these are played varies depending on what part of the state you are in.  Would we be better off with another real game or doing away with these all together?  Thoughts?

19 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

I always look forward to these as they are at least some form of Friday night football.  That said, is it me or are more and more coaches playing these so conservatively that they really have just turned into a JV football game?  Have they outlived their usefulness?  Does the risk of injury outweigh the value of the competition?  Perhaps the way these are played varies depending on what part of the state you are in.  Would we be better off with another real game or doing away with these all together?  Thoughts?

I would say it is you. Scrimmages/Jamborees are great for all players because all will see some playing time. It allows the starters to get some "game"-like reps in prior to the first game of the season, while also letting some second and third string guys see similar reps so the first time it happens for them isn't in the fourth quarter of a meaningful game in the season (as an example). Even though it might seem "conservative" - the purpose of scrimmages (IMO) are not to develop schemes. It is meant to get the kids some solid reps against an opponent wearing a different colored jersey. They are far from an fan entertainment purpose, as they should be.

Bad take in my opinion. Does not make you wrong, I just do not see this being the take most would have on scrimmages.

23 minutes ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

I would say it is you. Scrimmages/Jamborees are great for all players because all will see some playing time. It allows the starters to get some "game"-like reps in prior to the first game of the season, while also letting some second and third string guys see similar reps so the first time it happens for them isn't in the fourth quarter of a meaningful game in the season (as an example). Even though it might seem "conservative" - the purpose of scrimmages (IMO) are not to develop schemes. It is meant to get the kids some solid reps against an opponent wearing a different colored jersey. They are far from an fan entertainment purpose, as they should be.

Bad take in my opinion. Does not make you wrong, I just do not see this being the take most would have on scrimmages.

Fan experience aside, you think most coaches would vote to keep them in place in their current format?  I think in some cases starters are getting so few reps it has become an exercise in developing younger players, which indeed has value to your point.  I think the risk of injury for a practice game might give some coaches more pause than others.  Some value for sure....how much is the question.

Edited by Titan32

6 minutes ago, Titan32 said:

Fan experience aside, you think most coaches would vote to keep them in place in their current format?  I think in some cases starters are getting so few reps it has become an exercise in developing younger players, which indeed has value to your point.  I think the risk of injury for a practice game might give some coaches more pause than others.  Some value for sure....how much is the question.

The ones we have participated always specify whether it's varsity, JV, etc for each segment. I always guessed this format was set by the IHSAA, but now am wondering if that is the case.

Just now, gonzoron said:

The ones we have participated always specify whether it's varsity, JV, etc for each segment. I always guessed this format was set by the IHSAA, but now am wondering if that is the case.

I can tell you that coaches don't have to play their varsity players during the varsity segments and some do not...at least not for the whole designated segment.