Head Coach Openings 2024 ×

College Football 2021

Irishman

New topic….for programs that may not get enough posts, comments, or attention to be in their own topic.
I have seen a couple of these guest speakers talking to the kids on the Alabama football team. Kudos to Coach Saban for bringing some special people in to talk to his teams. Even though I am not much of an NBA fan, I do love the show on TNT with Ernie and the crew. Take some time if you have not yet, and look up Ernie Johnson. He is an inspiring individual. But this story his shares takes that to a whole new level. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Irishman said:

New topic….for programs that may not get enough posts, comments, or attention to be in their own topic.
I have seen a couple of these guest speakers talking to the kids on the Alabama football team. Kudos to Coach Saban for bringing some special people in to talk to his teams. Even though I am not much of an NBA fan, I do love the show on TNT with Ernie and the crew. Take some time if you have not yet, and look up Ernie Johnson. He is an inspiring individual. But this story his shares takes that to a whole new level. 

He sure is. 

• 5 weeks later...

A few ranked teams seem to be struggling early. Loved seeing the Ducks win in Columbus. Number 5 Texas A&M hangs on in Denver to beat unranked Colorado. The Irish have their own thread so won't discuss their struggle here. 

As we likely know though; any team in the top ten who is not Alabama, is just fighting for the chance to have their butts kicked by Bama. 

• Like 3
  • Disdain 1

52 minutes ago, Irishman said:

A few ranked teams seem to be struggling early. Loved seeing the Ducks win in Columbus. Number 5 Texas A&M hangs on in Denver to beat unranked Colorado. The Irish have their own thread so won't discuss their struggle here. 

As we likely know though; any team in the top ten who is not Alabama, is just fighting for the chance to have their butts kicked by Bama. 

I was not shocked to see Ohio State go down as I consider them a work in progress.   They still could run the table and have an outside shot to make the CFP, but I think Penn State has the B1G’s best chance behind Iowa.

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 8:33 PM, Irishman said:

Good to see a coach take ownership

Eh, he is being too hard on himself and this is classic coach speak to protect his kids.  While I respect it, two tipped passes that turned into INT’s and a scoop and score were clearly the difference in this game.

Ties into my other thread about Iowa being overrated and a huge pretender.

Two weeks in a row they capitalized (no discredit intended to them even though I am sure that is how this comes across to some) on poor QB play to propel themselves to victory.

I understand it’s what great teams do as their DL was dominant but banking on that sort of stuff all season seems a bit far fetched.

Plus Ferentz is usually good for a couple of head scratchers per year.

9-3?  Sure.

Top 5/title contender?  No way.

As for Campbell, he’d be one of the first dudes I reached out to if I were USC.

35 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Thoughts after 3 weeks? Oklahoma barely gets past Nebraska, Clemson barely gets past Georgia Tech, Florida stands toe to toe with Alabama. Penn st and Michigan off to good starts too.

Penn State was lucky to get that win. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Thoughts after 3 weeks? Oklahoma barely gets past Nebraska, Clemson barely gets past Georgia Tech, Florida stands toe to toe with Alabama. Penn st and Michigan off to good starts too.

Further proof that preseason rankings need to be executed.  

On 9/13/2021 at 7:11 PM, temptation said:

Eh, he is being too hard on himself and this is classic coach speak to protect his kids.  While I respect it, two tipped passes that turned into INT’s and a scoop and score were clearly the difference in this game.

Ties into my other thread about Iowa being overrated and a huge pretender.

Two weeks in a row they capitalized (no discredit intended to them even though I am sure that is how this comes across to some) on poor QB play to propel themselves to victory.

I understand it’s what great teams do as their DL was dominant but banking on that sort of stuff all season seems a bit far fetched.

Plus Ferentz is usually good for a couple of head scratchers per year.

9-3?  Sure.

Top 5/title contender?  No way.

As for Campbell, he’d be one of the first dudes I reached out to if I were USC.

I’m thinking it will be James Franklin.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/11/2021 at 10:55 PM, Irishman said:

Ernie is a great spokesperson for cancer survivors.  Tomorrow marks 14 years since I had 5 ft. of cancerous colon removed.  Get those colonoscopies!!!!!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Whole lotta shakin goin on in the top 10 now; as @temptation states, it may not be so much of a shake up if there were no pre season polls. Looking like a 2 dog race with UGA and Bama. 

Penn State is looking awfully good, too.  Michigan should be up there by year’s end.  Iowa is another hope from the B1G.  I don’t know what to think of Oklahoma, yet their replacement in the XII, Cincinnati could surprise…

Oh yeah, and Kentucky knocked off Florida tonight.

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Whole lotta shakin goin on in the top 10 now; as @temptation states, it may not be so much of a shake up if there were no pre season polls. Looking like a 2 dog race with UGA and Bama. 

Big ten about to have 4 in the top 10 and  5 in the top 12-15…just sayin’.

Bama and Georgia should just play a best of 3 series, they’re by far the cream of the crop. 
Can’t wait to see how the big 10 shakes out. Could they get 2 into the playoffs? ACC PAC10 and BIG12 could be on the outside looking in with Oregon Clemson and Oklahoma looking very pedestrian. Is cincy really good enough to be a top 4 team? 
I agree with @temptation the polls should be released the first week of October 

Does Bama drop out of the top 4? Honestly, I am not sure they do. I will be curious to see them play Georgia in the SEC Championship. There are a LOT of interesting scenarios. Yesterday was a great day for watching a lot of games. Georgia seems to be the only team not giving up a lot of points. Sadly, osu is back in the picture too. 🙂

I think I know how this ends…

Georgia is more than likely in.  They may even be able to lose one prior to the SEC title game and still get in.  Now, if they lose a regular season game AND the SEC title game to Bama?  It could get interesting.

Cincinnati is in.  I’m sorry but I just don’t see anyone left on their schedule (sorry SMU) that poses a legitimate threat.  This team has been on a mission since they were snubbed last year.

Bama is now on a mission and will roll through to Atlanta where Georgia awaits.  I’m betting they win there and we are looking at two SEC schools in the playoff.

I see one of two scenarios for the Big Ten.  Either OSU runs the table and gets in with 1 loss (no one from the west poses a threat in the conference title game) or the conference self destructs.

Iowa’s only hope is now to run the table, including the Big Ten title game and even if that does happen, may need some help.

PSU, Michigan and MSU have quite the grind down the stretch, including playing one another.  I don’t see any of them running the table.  PSU has injury issues on both sides of the ball.  MSU won’t win all three of those and Michigan will likely lose Thanksgiving weekend at minimum, eliminating their chances.

That leaves Oklahoma, Oregon and ND.  

The Sooners will need to run the table as will ND.  Both capable as their schedules are more than manageable.  

Oregon has injury issues and seems to have come back down to earth after that win over OSU.  I could see them slipping up again.

ND fans:  What if I would have told you over the summer that UVA would quite possibly be your best shot at a quality win and boost your playoff resume?

Edited by temptation

On 10/17/2021 at 9:47 AM, temptation said:

I think I know how this ends…

Georgia is more than likely in.  They may even be able to lose one prior to the SEC title game and still get in.  Now, if they lose a regular season game AND the SEC title game to Bama?  It could get interesting.

Cincinnati is in.  I’m sorry but I just don’t see anyone left on their schedule (sorry SMU) that poses a legitimate threat.  This team has been on a mission since they were snubbed last year.

Bama is now on a mission and will roll through to Atlanta where Georgia awaits.  I’m betting they win there and we are looking at two SEC schools in the playoff.

I see one of two scenarios for the Big Ten.  Either OSU runs the table and gets in with 1 loss (no one from the west poses a threat in the conference title game) or the conference self destructs.

Iowa’s only hope is now to run the table, including the Big Ten title game and even if that does happen, may need some help.

PSU, Michigan and MSU have quite the grind down the stretch, including playing one another.  I don’t see any of them running the table.  PSU has injury issues on both sides of the ball.  MSU won’t win all three of those and Michigan will likely lose Thanksgiving weekend at minimum, eliminating their chances.

That leaves Oklahoma, Oregon and ND.  

The Sooners will need to run the table as will ND.  Both capable as their schedules are more than manageable.  

Oregon has injury issues and seems to have come back down to earth after that win over OSU.  I could see them slipping up again.

ND fans:  What if I would have told you over the summer that UVA would quite possibly be your best shot at a quality win and boost your playoff resume?

I would say well what about Wisconsin, Cincinnati, USC, North Carolina?!?! But this is 2021 where about anything can happen. I think the Irish fall one more time this season, possibly to Virginia, due to the OL and inconsistencies of the QB position. Hope I'm wrong and they do win out, but I still don't think they are a playoff team. If they were, they would have beaten Cincinnati. My hope is for a quality New Years Day bowl win against a good team. 

But this is going to be fun to watch as we head down the home stretch and try and determine the 4 best teams in the country. Will the committee get it right?

24 minutes ago, temptation said:

Agree but an 11-1 ND gets in 90 percent of the time.

Unfortunately, I think their history of lopsided defeats from that position is finally going to start to work against them, unconsciously, of course.

• Like 1