Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

College Football 2021

Irishman

Saw a tweet before the game by Trai Essex asking if Clemson had the results that Wake Forest did with that schedule, they would be the 2nd ranked team today, right? His issue was that pre season rankings are a joke. BUUUUUUT, Wake is giving up a LOT  at Chapel Hill today……57 points, and well over 300 yards rushing….ouch. 

16 hours ago, Irishman said:

Saw a tweet before the game by Trai Essex asking if Clemson had the results that Wake Forest did with that schedule, they would be the 2nd ranked team today, right? His issue was that pre season rankings are a joke. BUUUUUUT, Wake is giving up a LOT  at Chapel Hill today……57 points, and well over 300 yards rushing….ouch. 

So, what’d we learn yesterday?

1.  Georgia remains the only team without legitimate flaws.  They are the clear favorite.

2.  This is NOT your typical Bama team.  Good?  Sure.  But the Tide don’t look dominant.

3.  MSU couldn’t handle the spotlight.  Huge rivalry win followed by a roller coaster of a loss at Purdue.  

4.  Oregon just keeps humming along.  They look like a shell of the team that won at OSU but still good enough to run the table in a weak Pac 12?

5.  OSU is vulnerable but still has the best WR core in America.  Even without Garrett Wilson they looked like a machine.  The run/pass ratio was a bit head scratching though.

6.  Here’s an idea Cincinnati.  If you want people to take you serious and cry about disrespect, try dominating teams that are clearly inferior to you.

7.  Sloppy, but Michigan bounced back and still has its goals in front of them.  Will be interesting to see how the committee ranks them and MSU Tuesday.

8.  Oklahoma had a much needed week off to get focused on the gauntlet of a schedule they face this month.  They will have their opportunities to make their claim.

9.  Wake Forest.  All O, no D.  

10.  Notre Dame overcame a slow start to pull away from Navy.  Purdue and Wisconsin wins looking a lot better now. Last chance for a resume building win next weekend at Virginia.

Edited by temptation

14 minutes ago, temptation said:

10.  Notre Dame overcame a slow start to pull away from Navy.  Purdue and Wisconsin wins looking a lot better now. Last chance for a resume building win next weekend at Virginia.

To be honest, I don’t think this is a Top 10 team. Aside from Kyren Williams, they don’t have playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. Their best defensive playmaker is still out, and no one knows when he will be back. I expect they will struggle against a pretty good Virginia team. Whether they win or not will probably determine their bowl game, as they should be able to beat Georgia Tech and Stanford in the remaining two games.

29 minutes ago, Bobref said:

To be honest, I don’t think this is a Top 10 team. Aside from Kyren Williams, they don’t have playmakers on the offensive side of the ball. Their best defensive playmaker is still out, and no one knows when he will be back. I expect they will struggle against a pretty good Virginia team. Whether they win or not will probably determine their bowl game, as they should be able to beat Georgia Tech and Stanford in the remaining two games.

My thinking has shifted regarding this. I made a post about a month ago where I jokingly said no one wants to be in the top ten outside of the top two teams. Looking at things now, let’s throw in strength of schedule. Of the teams in the top ten, who has the most difficult schedule. As tempt said, wins against Purdue and Wisconsin look better. But even looking at Georgia, they have played just two ranked teams, Kentucky and Auburn. What about Bama? Not even as tough a schedule as Georgia, and they have a loss to A&M. I am not saying ND’s schedule is a good one mind you, but I think it stacks up well against the rest of the top teams in the country. 
So, based on what is going on now, the Irish are actually a top ten team. 
If there was a year to push for an expanded playoff, this is by far the best year for that. 

35 minutes ago, Irishman said:

My thinking has shifted regarding this. I made a post about a month ago where I jokingly said no one wants to be in the top ten outside of the top two teams. Looking at things now, let’s throw in strength of schedule. Of the teams in the top ten, who has the most difficult schedule. As tempt said, wins against Purdue and Wisconsin look better. But even looking at Georgia, they have played just two ranked teams, Kentucky and Auburn. What about Bama? Not even as tough a schedule as Georgia, and they have a loss to A&M. I am not saying ND’s schedule is a good one mind you, but I think it stacks up well against the rest of the top teams in the country. 
So, based on what is going on now, the Irish are actually a top ten team. 
If there was a year to push for an expanded playoff, this is by far the best year for that. 

I’m just using the “eye test,” and they simply don’t look like what I think a Top 10 team should look like. But I understand it’s all relative. Been a crazy year so far … and I think there’s more to come. For what it’s worth, Sagarin agrees with you and @temptation. He’s got the Irish ranked #7 and their schedule as the 9th toughest in the country.

If the Irish win out, this may well be the year when the absence of a conference championship on their resume sinks their playoff hopes.

Edited by Bobref
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Bobref said:

Most years, probably not. This year? Name 10 teams better who are better. Good luck with that. 

9 hours ago, Bobref said:

After yesterday the Irish may be a top 10 ten, but that's not saying much this season.  I don't believe they're a playoff team by any means, but I still hope they can win out and get a nice warm bowl game somewhere nice.

Again, yesterday proves that anyone can win on a given day.  That's why they play the games.  And Georgia seems to be the only legitimate contender thus far this year.  Not sure 'Bama could handle them the way they're playing now.  As we've seen though, that could change quickly.

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

After yesterday the Irish may be a top 10 ten, but that's not saying much this season.  I don't believe they're a playoff team by any means

Exactly who are the playoff teams then? Most years, absolutely not. But let's face it, there aren't many teams that are playoff worthy. It's a crapshoot after Georgia. 

2 hours ago, BTF said:

Exactly who are the playoff teams then? Most years, absolutely not. But let's face it, there aren't many teams that are playoff worthy. It's a crapshoot after Georgia. 

Besides Georgia, it's a toss up.  IMO, the Irish aren't playoff worthy this season.

10 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Besides Georgia, it's a toss up.  IMO, the Irish aren't playoff worthy this season.

I tend to agree but will play devil's advocate here.  After Georgia, there are 10-12 teams that on the right day "could" be playoff worthy.

I heard Klatt talking about this very topic on Saturday during the OSU/Nebraska game.  You have to expand this thing.  It is playoff or bust for so many programs which is a damn tight window.  You have some great programs and teams that are being left behind annually that could do some damage in the right scenario/matchup.

39 minutes ago, temptation said:

I tend to agree but will play devil's advocate here.  After Georgia, there are 10-12 teams that on the right day "could" be playoff worthy.

I heard Klatt talking about this very topic on Saturday during the OSU/Nebraska game.  You have to expand this thing.  It is playoff or bust for so many programs which is a damn tight window.  You have some great programs and teams that are being left behind annually that could do some damage in the right scenario/matchup.

" After Georgia, there are 10-12 teams that on the right day "could" be playoff worthy." I think that statement is pretty cut and dry, with Notre Dame obviously one of those 10-12.

Michigan will be ranked higher than Michigan State for the same reason they were ranked high to begin with. They opened up an impressive multiple score advantage over MSU on their home field. The committee has taken that into consideration. It doesn't really matter though. I think the chances of MSU having two or more losses is higher than that of Michigan. Both teams have brutal schedules down the stretch. 

Speaking of Nebraska. The Cornhuskers this year remind me of where Indiana was in Gerry Dinardo's final season at IU. Competitive in every game, just not enough to win. Nebraska would be making a big mistake if they take the same road IU did. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BTF said:

" After Georgia, there are 10-12 teams that on the right day "could" be playoff worthy." I think that statement is pretty cut and dry, with Notre Dame obviously one of those 10-12.

Michigan will be ranked higher than Michigan State for the same reason they were ranked high to begin with. They opened up an impressive multiple score advantage over MSU on their home field. The committee has taken that into consideration. It doesn't really matter though. I think the chances of MSU having two or more losses is higher than that of Michigan. Both teams have brutal schedules down the stretch. 

Speaking of Nebraska. The Cornhuskers this year remind me of where Indiana was in Gerry Dinardo's final season at IU. Competitive in every game, just not enough to win. Nebraska would be making a big mistake if they take the same road IU did. 

While I agree with you, isn’t ranking Michigan in front of MSU a double standard?

Michigan dominated most of the game but the final score has to matter, right?

Edited by temptation

1 hour ago, temptation said:

While I agree with you, isn’t ranking Michigan in front of MSU a double standard?

Michigan dominated most of the game but the final score has to matter, right?

I don't think it's a double standard at all. Like you said, the Wolverines dominated most of the game even though it was on MSU's home turf. 

Michigan State's lone loss was also on the road, but it was against an unranked opponent. And the game was never in doubt. 

Michigan should be ranked ahead of Michigan State. Easy decision and no bias whatsoever. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BTF said:

I don't think it's a double standard at all. Like you said, the Wolverines dominated most of the game even though it was on MSU's home turf. 

Michigan State's lone loss was also on the road, but it was against an unranked opponent. And the game was never in doubt. 

Michigan should be ranked ahead of Michigan State. Easy decision and no bias whatsoever. 

And then there’s this…

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32584618/michigan-football-coach-jim-harbaugh-says-big-ten-acknowledged-officiating-mistakes-loss-michigan-state

17 minutes ago, Bobref said:

😴😢🥱

Well, I mean they did overturn a scoop and score that was ruled a TD on the field and then just walked it back.

So…

Kudos to you for protecting your guys but it is widely known that Big Ten officials have been egregiously bad for quite some time.

In this particular case, it was the replay booth.  The refs actually got it right.

Edited by temptation

8 minutes ago, temptation said:

it is widely known that Big Ten officials have been egregiously bad for quite some time.

Widely known by whom? Not by officials, that’s for sure. The B1G has always been a leader in NCAA officiating, going all the way back to when it’s supervisor of officials, Dave Parry, became the first ever national coordinator of mechanics. Now, if you want to check out some really uneven D-I officiating, check out the SEC.

5 minutes ago, Bobref said:

Widely known by whom? Not by officials, that’s for sure. The B1G has always been a leader in NCAA officiating, going all the way back to when it’s supervisor of officials, Dave Parry, became the first ever national coordinator of mechanics. Now, if you want to check out some really uneven D-I officiating, check out the SEC.

They need (all refs) to be accountable.  Suck it up, dig in your pockets, and employ full-time referees.

Coaches and players have to face the music after the game and answer questions from the media, referees should have to also.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, temptation said:

They need (all refs) to be accountable.  Suck it up, dig in your pockets, and employ full-time referees.

Coaches and players have to face the music after the game and answer questions from the media, referees should have to also.

Any Bears fans wanna chime in this AM?