Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

College Football 2021

Irishman

13 hours ago, temptation said:

They need (all refs) to be accountable.  Suck it up, dig in your pockets, and employ full-time referees.

Coaches and players have to face the music after the game and answer questions from the media, referees should have to also.

Agreed...I would also like to see certification taken away from the conferences. The NCAA certifies officials at other levels, why not D!? 

I laughed out loud at the “refs need to be held accountable” blather. You have no idea how competitive officiating at that level is. And I’ll bet you’ve never been involved in a session with your peers and the supervisor where one of your calls gets sliced and diced mercilessly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

I laughed out loud at the “refs need to be held accountable” blather. You have no idea how competitive officiating at that level is. And I’ll bet you’ve never been involved in a session with your peers and the supervisor where one of your calls gets sliced and diced mercilessly.

Tell me this.  Calls/no calls often decide games.  This is a fact.  Why is it that both the coaches and athletes have to take the walk of shame and get bombarded with questions post game about why they did this or did that, yet referees just roll out of town and have to answer to no one?

Then give some half-assed apology two weeks later which changes nothing?

In this particular case, Harbaugh was blasted by the media for making a non-specific statement about the officiating.  Was called a whiner and folks pointed to mistakes his team made as a way to indicate he was giving himself and his team a pass.

Then, 9 days later the conference posts an "our bad, you were right" apology...

Coaches have millions of dollars riding on the outcomes of these games, the players have poured their lives into this game and with replay there is absolutely NO excuse for this to happen.

12 minutes ago, temptation said:

Tell me this.  Calls/no calls often decide games.  This is a fact.  Why is it that both the coaches and athletes have to take the walk of shame and get bombarded with questions post game about why they did this or did that, yet referees just roll out of town and have to answer to no one?

Then give some half-assed apology two weeks later which changes nothing?

In this particular case, Harbaugh was blasted by the media for making a non-specific statement about the officiating.  Was called a whiner and folks pointed to mistakes his team made as a way to indicate he was giving himself and his team a pass.

Then, 9 days later the conference posts an "our bad, you were right" apology...

Coaches have millions of dollars riding on the outcomes of these games, the players have poured their lives into this game and with replay there is absolutely NO excuse for this to happen.

You’re asking the right questions … but of the wrong people. Officials in NCAA football are prohibited from answering these types of questions by their conferences and supervisors. Personally, I think it’s asinine. In a sense, officials are their own worst enemies when it comes to transparency. I can’t tell you how many times here on the GID I’ve looked at a video clip of a “terrible” call, and was able to explain why, from an officiating standpoint, the call was actually correct. I firmly believe most people are willing to be educated. In that sense, this policy of essentially stonewalling represents a lot of missed opportunities to educate people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

You’re asking the right questions … but of the wrong people. Officials in NCAA football are prohibited from answering these types of questions by their conferences and supervisors. Personally, I think it’s asinine. In a sense, officials are their own worst enemies when it comes to transparency. I can’t tell you how many times here on the GID I’ve looked at a video clip of a “terrible” call, and was able to explain why, from an officiating standpoint, the call was actually correct. I firmly believe most people are willing to be educated. In that sense, this policy of essentially stonewalling represents a lot of missed opportunities to educate people.

I’ll give you that but when the purpose of replay is to correct potential errors on the field and they STILL get it wrong, it’s an embarrassment.

Then to release an “our bad” statement ten days later is salt in the wound.

• Like 1

So I’m thinking there’s 1 spot left. Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio St are the 3 locks as of today imo. Who’s #4? Oregon, Michigan, Cincinnati, Michigan St, Notre Dame, what about Oklahoma State?? 
it seems like each week with teams losing everyone is losing a “quality” win… 

14 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

So I’m thinking there’s 1 spot left. Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio St are the 3 locks as of today imo. Who’s #4? Oregon, Michigan, Cincinnati, Michigan St, Notre Dame, what about Oklahoma State?? 
it seems like each week with teams losing everyone is losing a “quality” win… 

If OSU is in  that means they beat both MSU and Michigan......so that would eliminate those two from the list. I think Cincy's win at ND gives them the edge. If they win out, they are in. I do agree with your 3 locks though.  

3 hours ago, Irishman said:

If OSU is in  that means they beat both MSU and Michigan......so that would eliminate those two from the list. I think Cincy's win at ND gives them the edge. If they win out, they are in. I do agree with your 3 locks though.  

Agree. Cincinnati. I think they fail the overall eye test, but it's hard to look past their win in South Bend. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Irishman said:

If the day continues like it has so far, Ohio State has a strong case for moving up in the polls, and could even be number 2. Their strength of schedule is certainly better than Alabama’s. I will be curious to see how much MSU drops. 

Ohio State absolutely should be #2 after today.

1.   Georgia

2.   OSU

3.   Bama

4.   Cincy

5.   Michigan

6.   ND

• Like 1

17 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

tOSU has brought out the bulldozer and the road grader in this one.  49-0 at halftime!

I’m not sure how you beat them…

Run the ball 50+ times and control the clock?

Score TD’s in the red zone.  Can’t settle for FG’s?

Bend but don’t break and hold them to FG’s whenever possible in the red zone?

Tackle their receivers in space?

Get to the quarterback and don’t let him get comfortable?

Get some turnover luck and win that battle?

9 hours ago, BTF said:

Ohio State absolutely should be #2 after today.

1.   Georgia

2.   OSU

3.   Bama

4.   Cincy

5.   Michigan

6.   ND

I agree here…..crazy thing is 2 of those teams here are going to lose a game. Not saying they deserve it, but the math is simple….. 6-2=???

3 hours ago, temptation said:

I’m not sure how you beat them…

Run the ball 50+ times and control the clock?

Score TD’s in the red zone.  Can’t settle for FG’s?

Bend but don’t break and hold them to FG’s whenever possible in the red zone?

Tackle their receivers in space?

Get to the quarterback and don’t let him get comfortable?

Get some turnover luck and win that battle?

The real difference with osu is their pass defense. Oregon made them look bad. But now they are getting pressure with just 4, and their coverage is so much better. Stroud has made huge strides as a true freshman as well. 
God I hate Ohio State lol

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Irishman said:

The real difference with osu is their pass defense. Oregon made them look bad. But now they are getting pressure with just 4, and their coverage is so much better. Stroud gas made huge strides as a true freshman as well. 
God I hate Ohio State lol

Not as much as I do, trust me.

• Like 1

Michigan is still getting praised even though they lost to Michigan State and probably will lose to tOSU.  I think the only way Michigan wins next week is if Harbaugh retires midweek.☺️  His record in the series is not good.  I don't see how Michigan beats tOSU.  But even if Michigan magically beats the Buckeyes, then Ohio State has two losses.

Oregon has two losses after getting blown out yesterday at Utah and either Georgia or Alabama is going to lose and if it's 'Bama that'll have two losses.  Cincinnati and Notre Dame both have a chance.  Notre Dame needs to beat a bad Stanford team on the road next week.

I'd still like to see the Irish not make the playoff and get a nice warm site bowl game.

Edited by PHJIrish

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

Michigan is still getting praised even though they lost to Michigan State and probably will lose to tOSU.  I think the only way Michigan wins next week is if Harbaugh retires midweek.☺️  His record in the series is not good.  I don't see how Michigan beats tOSU.  But even if Michigan magically beats the Buckeyes, then Ohio State has two losses.

Oregon has two losses after getting blown out yesterday at Utah and either Georgia or Alabama is going to lose and if it's 'Bama that'll have two losses.  Cincinnati and Notre Dame both have a chance.  Notre Dame needs to beat a bad Stanford team on the road next week.

I'd still like to see the Irish not make the playoff and get a nice warm site bowl game.

The Vegas O/U on Michigan wins was 7.5…

12 hours ago, Irishman said:

I agree here…..crazy thing is 2 of those teams here are going to lose a game. Not saying they deserve it, but the math is simple….. 6-2=???

I laugh every time some idiot on tv says that ND doesn't have a chance. They must have gotten pushed through math class in high school and college without having to do a thing. The odds of ND making the playoffs is better than 50%.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Michigan is still getting praised even though they lost to Michigan State 

And they should get praise. What I remember from the Michigan State game was Michigan pulling out in front by two touchdowns on the Spartans home field. Only a pretty good football team does that. Unfortunately, the final score turned into their only blemish on the season. They definitely pass the eye test. Even if they lose to Ohio State, they are still as good of a football team as anyone not named Ohio State and Georgia. Meaning they are playoff worthy regardless of what happens on Saturday. 

• Like 1

On 11/21/2021 at 7:52 AM, temptation said:

Not as much as I do, trust me.

I was on the road for over 10 hours today coming home from my sister’s in Maryland. I did listen on SiriusXM….and I thought as it ended, I FULLY expected a few posts under the influence of a few beverages when I got home. 🤣🤣🤣

• Haha 1