Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

College Football 2021

Irishman

7 hours ago, temptation said:

That defense world gets shredded annually in the SEC.

So, the Sooners lose Riley to the friendlier PAC 12 and Texas would be one of the worst teams in the SEC if the move was next season. Both of these schools are getting a hard dose of reality for giving up bullying the Big 12 for a massive cash grab. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Boilernation said:

So, the Sooners lose Riley to the friendlier PAC 12 and Texas would be one of the worst teams in the SEC if the move was next season. Both of these schools are getting a hard dose of reality for giving up bullying the Big 12 for a massive cash grab. 

If Texas can't go .500 against a Big 12 schedule what in the hell are they gonna do in the SEC?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, temptation said:

If Texas can't go .500 against a Big 12 schedule what in the hell are they gonna do in the SEC?

They are Dead On Arrival. And Sark could be gone by the time they're playing an SEC schedule. 

Is Oklahoma this delusional? You don't give up an NFL job with Kyler Murray as your QB to live in Norman, recruit, and play against the SEC. I wouldn't be surprised if Bob makes a permanent comeback after the Bowl game he's coaching or if he convinces Oklahoma to hire is brother. They should be targeting a defensive oriented guy with SEC experience like Arranda. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/oklahoma-coaching-candidates-kliff-kingsbury-of-nfls-cardinals-on-list-to-replace-lincoln-riley-per-report/

18 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

They are Dead On Arrival. And Sark could be gone by the time they're playing an SEC schedule. 

Is Oklahoma this delusional? You don't give up an NFL job with Kyler Murray as your QB to live in Norman, recruit, and play against the SEC. I wouldn't be surprised if Bob makes a permanent comeback after the Bowl game he's coaching or if he convinces Oklahoma to hire is brother. They should be targeting a defensive oriented guy with SEC experience like Arranda. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/oklahoma-coaching-candidates-kliff-kingsbury-of-nfls-cardinals-on-list-to-replace-lincoln-riley-per-report/

What about Josh Heupel?

3 hours ago, temptation said:

What about Josh Heupel?

Not sure he's ready for the bigtime as a playcaller. Tennessee's offense hasn't been too special this year against their better competition, though he doesn't have the greatest of QB's either. Also not sure about his strength as a recruiter. One other name I wouldn't be surprised to see in the mix is Venerables. The tiders are changing in Norman. IMO, it would be there best interest to either hire a defensive minded coach or open the checkbook for a big name DC. The days of just needing to rely on the offensive to win high scoring shootouts are coming to an end.

Edited by Boilernation

Nothing more than message board fodder at this point and perhaps simply a motive to negotiate a better deal at their current gigs but…

There is some smoke to Venables being pursued by Oklahoma and LSU going after Brian Kelly.

I was surprised when I saw BK’s salary is less than $2 million.  That has to be a mistake right?

Edited by temptation

34 minutes ago, temptation said:

Nothing more than message board fodder at this point and perhaps simply a motive to negotiate a better deal at their current gigs but…

There is some smoke to Venables being pursued by Oklahoma and LSU going after Brian Kelly.

I was surprised when I saw BK’s salary is less than $2 million.  That has to be a mistake right?

yep.....$2.67 Million for BK. I would not be surprised to see Jimbo Fisher's name come up for LSU....maybe even Florida. I have to think in the realm of SEC football, those programs are a step up from A&M. 

well, I am not sure what Ok State did this last week that caused them to leap frog Notre Dame, but it happened. I did not think it should happen, but figured all along it very well could happen. I am curious to see if any of the news the last couple days factored into it. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-playoff-rankings-michigan-takes-no-2-spot-cincinnati-holds-at-no-4-in-new-top-25/ 

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

well, I am not sure what Ok State did this last week that caused them to leap frog Notre Dame, but it happened. I did not think it should happen, but figured all along it very well could happen. I am curious to see if any of the news the last couple days factored into it. 

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/college-football-playoff-rankings-michigan-takes-no-2-spot-cincinnati-holds-at-no-4-in-new-top-25/ 

Beat a top 10 team/rival while ND played another cupcake?

This isn’t hard to figure out. 

21 minutes ago, temptation said:

if cupcake games are the standard, OSU has no edge over ND. I will add again, as far as the CFP Committee is concerned; OSU is only 10-1 right now. No bigger cupcake on a schedule than a team that does not even factor into your ranking. I still don't believe that playing a lower ranked team and beating them should put you in a position to leap frog another team, if both teams played last week. If the committee waited for OSU to beat Baylor this week, the case might be stronger for such a move. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, temptation said:

Beat another Big 12 cupcake is what Oklahoma State did. You're not stupid Temp..............Notre Dame passes the eye test and you know it. 

13 hours ago, BTF said:

Beat another Big 12 cupcake is what Oklahoma State did. You're not stupid Temp..............Notre Dame passes the eye test and you know it. 

Needed coaching blunders to escape FLORIDA STATE and TOLEDO and have ZERO top 25 wins as of the latest college football playoff rankings.

Case closed.

There was a point, probably in early Sept, where the Irish were supposed to play 5 or 6 ranked teams in a row starting with Purdue I think it was... and since then those teams, with maybe the exception of Purdue and Wisconsin, fell off the tracks. I mean North Carolina was a preseason top 10 team and now they are terrible. It is what it is, and they'll need a lot of help this weekend to end up #4

16 hours ago, Irishman said:

if cupcake games are the standard, OSU has no edge over ND. I will add again, as far as the CFP Committee is concerned; OSU is only 10-1 right now. No bigger cupcake on a schedule than a team that does not even factor into your ranking. I still don't believe that playing a lower ranked team and beating them should put you in a position to leap frog another team, if both teams played last week. If the committee waited for OSU to beat Baylor this week, the case might be stronger for such a move. 

I don't know Irish....I realize this paper is most likely biased, but their argument is compelling.  If the Pokes beat Baylor again, that will give them an extra victory, against another ranked team.  But this is a good read....

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/2021/11/29/ok-state-notre-dame-best-case-college-football-playoff/8796047002/

8 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

I don't know Irish....I realize this paper is most likely biased, but their argument is compelling.  If the Pokes beat Baylor again, that will give them an extra victory, against another ranked team.  But this is a good read....

https://www.oklahoman.com/story/sports/2021/11/29/ok-state-notre-dame-best-case-college-football-playoff/8796047002/

I am willing to say that if OSU beats Baylor, there is a case for them to be in front of ND. I think a stronger case would have been made if the committee waited for that to happen. 

FTA:
Game control: OSU has five wins by single digits (23-16 over Missouri State, 28-23 over Tulsa, 21-20 over Boise State, 32-24 over Texas and 37-33 over OU), plus two wins that were two-possession games at the finish (Kansas State 31-20, Baylor 24-14). Notre Dame has three wins by single digits (41-38 over Florida State in overtime, 32-29 over Toledo and 32-29 over Virginia Tech), plus three more wins that were two-possession games at the finish (27-13 over Purdue, 44-34 over North Carolina and 31-16 over Southern Cal). OSU’s loss (24-21 to Iowa State) was tight. Notre Dame’s 24-13 loss to Cincinnati was somewhat one-sided. Advantage: even. 

I laugh at this one when it says advantage is even. I don't see it that way at all. In fact, I see the opposite. 5 single digit wins compared to 3 is NOT an advantage; ESPECIALLY when one of OSU's single digit ins is against an FCS team in Missouri State. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Irishman said:

I am willing to say that if OSU beats Baylor, there is a case for them to be in front of ND. I think a stronger case would have been made if the committee waited for that to happen. 

FTA:
Game control: OSU has five wins by single digits (23-16 over Missouri State, 28-23 over Tulsa, 21-20 over Boise State, 32-24 over Texas and 37-33 over OU), plus two wins that were two-possession games at the finish (Kansas State 31-20, Baylor 24-14). Notre Dame has three wins by single digits (41-38 over Florida State in overtime, 32-29 over Toledo and 32-29 over Virginia Tech), plus three more wins that were two-possession games at the finish (27-13 over Purdue, 44-34 over North Carolina and 31-16 over Southern Cal). OSU’s loss (24-21 to Iowa State) was tight. Notre Dame’s 24-13 loss to Cincinnati was somewhat one-sided. Advantage: even. 

I laugh at this one when it says advantage is even. I don't see it that way at all. In fact, I see the opposite. 5 single digit wins compared to 3 is NOT an advantage; ESPECIALLY when one of OSU's single digit ins is against an FCS team in Missouri State. 

Pokes have already beaten Baylor once....by 10.  They are a tough 4th down spot call from possibly being undefeated.  Hard to argue your point against Missouri State and guessing that does hold them back.  But it was game 1....and the Cowboys are a totally different team, especially offensively now.

This is where not being in a conference hurts ND.  The teams ahead of them will get an extra game, and if they win, it looks different and stronger for them.

I guess when it gets to teams at 4, 5, 6, 7 there are hairs being split.  One could make a case either for ND or OK State.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Irishman said:

FTA:

FYI, Sagarin has Missouri State as a 7 point dog to Toledo, a 3 point dog to Stanford, a 2 point dog to Georgia Tech and a pick em game with Navy on a neutral field.

Missouri State made the FCS playoffs.

Oklahoma State played Missouri State…ND played 4 versions of Missouri State.

Case STILL closed.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Irishman said:

Sagarin=games played…..got it

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You’re shitting on a Missouri State team that could go toe to toe with nearly half of the teams on ND’s schedule, lol.

(They’d also be in a dogfight vs USC.)

Edited by temptation
  • Haha 1