Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

College Football 2021

Irishman

So, no rule for this in the college game either, but Clawson is right. I do believe it is something that needs to be addressed. It is a huge advantage to QB's if they are able to do this. If a QB in one game does this a couple times, and their is a 3rd that gets to this point and a guy on defense hits him, and gets flagged for that.......just seems wrong.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32794482/wake-forest-coach-dave-clawson-says-ncaa-review-rules-fake-slides-following-td-pitt-qb-kenny-pickett 

On 10/31/2021 at 9:46 PM, PHJIrish said:

As another Notre Dame fan, I agree with you.  I would like to see the Irish get a nice Bowl Game somewhere warm and get some extra practice and get ready for the spring.  I don't want to see them fed to them fed to the wolves.  And I love seeing Harbaugh clutching his throat.

Man I love keeping receipts.

Not clutching his throat in this one…rather the Big Ten championship trophy.

1914601D-1307-4452-8E68-42CAB83218AC.jpeg

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

Honestly, if Michigan wins this thing, I may have to become a hockey fan, or something.

I rooted for Notre Dame in their playoff appearances simply because I’m not a fan of the SEC.

You should do the same for Michigan.  Parity is great for the sport.

1 hour ago, Irishman said:

So, no rule for this in the college game either, but Clawson is right. I do believe it is something that needs to be addressed. It is a huge advantage to QB's if they are able to do this. If a QB in one game does this a couple times, and their is a 3rd that gets to this point and a guy on defense hits him, and gets flagged for that.......just seems wrong.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32794482/wake-forest-coach-dave-clawson-says-ncaa-review-rules-fake-slides-following-td-pitt-qb-kenny-pickett 

The rules analyst also spoke of this too.  He would be very surprised if this issue wasn't reviewed and changed.

Bending the rules?  Sure.  Breaking the rules as of now?  Nope.  Potential safety issue for a QB that attempts this again?  ABSOLUTELY.

23 minutes ago, temptation said:

Man I love keeping receipts.

Not clutching his throat in this one…rather the Big Ten championship trophy.

1914601D-1307-4452-8E68-42CAB83218AC.jpeg

I rooted for Notre Dame in their playoff appearances simply because I’m not a fan of the SEC.

You should do the same for Michigan.  Parity is great for the sport.

Happy for Coach Harbaugh and his team.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, temptation said:

You should do the same for Michigan.

You root for whomever you want, for whatever reasons you have. I’ll do the same. 

• Like 1

Been months worth of great conversation about the sport in this particular thread.

Will be setting up a bowl pick em confidence contest this week once ESPN has it set up and would love for as many fanatics as myself to join!

Details coming soon.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, temptation said:

Been months worth of great conversation about the sport in this particular thread.

Will be setting up a bowl pick em confidence contest this week once ESPN has it set up and would love for as many fanatics as myself to join!

Details coming soon.

If you have followed any of my football predictions, you will know EXACTLY why I will NOT be partaking in any kinds of picks.  LOL

On 9/11/2021 at 7:03 PM, Irishman said:

A few ranked teams seem to be struggling early. Loved seeing the Ducks win in Columbus. Number 5 Texas A&M hangs on in Denver to beat unranked Colorado. The Irish have their own thread so won't discuss their struggle here. 

As we likely know though; any team in the top ten who is not Alabama, is just fighting for the chance to have their butts kicked by Bama. 

Bump.

On 9/11/2021 at 7:58 PM, Gipper said:

I was not shocked to see Ohio State go down as I consider them a work in progress.   They still could run the table and have an outside shot to make the CFP, but I think Penn State has the B1G’s best chance behind Iowa.

Bump.

On 9/13/2021 at 5:57 PM, Irishman said:

Bump.

On 9/13/2021 at 8:11 PM, temptation said:

Eh, he is being too hard on himself and this is classic coach speak to protect his kids.  While I respect it, two tipped passes that turned into INT’s and a scoop and score were clearly the difference in this game.

Ties into my other thread about Iowa being overrated and a huge pretender.

Two weeks in a row they capitalized (no discredit intended to them even though I am sure that is how this comes across to some) on poor QB play to propel themselves to victory.

I understand it’s what great teams do as their DL was dominant but banking on that sort of stuff all season seems a bit far fetched.

Plus Ferentz is usually good for a couple of head scratchers per year.

9-3?  Sure.

Top 5/title contender?  No way.

As for Campbell, he’d be one of the first dudes I reached out to if I were USC.

Bump.

On 10/2/2021 at 9:31 PM, Irishman said:

Whole lotta shakin goin on in the top 10 now; as @temptation states, it may not be so much of a shake up if there were no pre season polls. Looking like a 2 dog race with UGA and Bama. 

Bump.

On 10/3/2021 at 10:30 AM, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Bama and Georgia should just play a best of 3 series, they’re by far the cream of the crop. 
Can’t wait to see how the big 10 shakes out. Could they get 2 into the playoffs? ACC PAC10 and BIG12 could be on the outside looking in with Oregon Clemson and Oklahoma looking very pedestrian. Is cincy really good enough to be a top 4 team? 
I agree with @temptation the polls should be released the first week of October 

Bump.

On 10/17/2021 at 10:47 AM, temptation said:

I think I know how this ends…

Georgia is more than likely in.  They may even be able to lose one prior to the SEC title game and still get in.  Now, if they lose a regular season game AND the SEC title game to Bama?  It could get interesting.

Cincinnati is in.  I’m sorry but I just don’t see anyone left on their schedule (sorry SMU) that poses a legitimate threat.  This team has been on a mission since they were snubbed last year.

Bama is now on a mission and will roll through to Atlanta where Georgia awaits.  I’m betting they win there and we are looking at two SEC schools in the playoff.

I see one of two scenarios for the Big Ten.  Either OSU runs the table and gets in with 1 loss (no one from the west poses a threat in the conference title game) or the conference self destructs.

Iowa’s only hope is now to run the table, including the Big Ten title game and even if that does happen, may need some help.

PSU, Michigan and MSU have quite the grind down the stretch, including playing one another.  I don’t see any of them running the table.  PSU has injury issues on both sides of the ball.  MSU won’t win all three of those and Michigan will likely lose Thanksgiving weekend at minimum, eliminating their chances.

That leaves Oklahoma, Oregon and ND.  

The Sooners will need to run the table as will ND.  Both capable as their schedules are more than manageable.  

Oregon has injury issues and seems to have come back down to earth after that win over OSU.  I could see them slipping up again.

ND fans:  What if I would have told you over the summer that UVA would quite possibly be your best shot at a quality win and boost your playoff resume?

Bump.

On 10/19/2021 at 1:28 PM, temptation said:

Agree but an 11-1 ND gets in 90 percent of the time.

Bump.

On 11/2/2021 at 7:32 PM, temptation said:

Good for the committee… for the most part.

Takeaways:

1.  Bama just plays buy a different set of rules than everybody else.  They could probably lose again and still get in.  

2.  Glad to see that head to head matters and Oregon was over OSU.  Otherwise, why play the games?

3.  Cincinnati is officially screwed.  I see no path for them back into the top four.  Their best win is behind them.

4.  Oklahoma and Notre Dame getting punished for not winning impressively over bad teams as the wait a game plays out is much more important than looking at the box score afterwards.

I have never been one to get fired up about this as I realized it is all politics and talking points going forward.

It will eventually shake itself out with little controversy.

Bump.

On 11/2/2021 at 8:58 PM, Bash Riprock said:

Michigan State won't stay there.....I have my doubts about Oregon as well.  PAC 12 not very tough though, so they might....

What does the committee do if Georgia beats Bama in the SEC championship and Bama has 2 losses?

Bump.

On 11/7/2021 at 5:46 PM, PHJIrish said:

After yesterday the Irish may be a top 10 ten, but that's not saying much this season.  I don't believe they're a playoff team by any means, but I still hope they can win out and get a nice warm bowl game somewhere nice.

Again, yesterday proves that anyone can win on a given day.  That's why they play the games.  And Georgia seems to be the only legitimate contender thus far this year.  Not sure 'Bama could handle them the way they're playing now.  As we've seen though, that could change quickly.

Bump.

On 11/14/2021 at 11:54 AM, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

So I’m thinking there’s 1 spot left. Georgia, Alabama, and Ohio St are the 3 locks as of today imo. Who’s #4? Oregon, Michigan, Cincinnati, Michigan St, Notre Dame, what about Oklahoma State?? 
it seems like each week with teams losing everyone is losing a “quality” win… 

Bump.

On 11/21/2021 at 2:32 PM, PHJIrish said:

Michigan is still getting praised even though they lost to Michigan State and probably will lose to tOSU.  I think the only way Michigan wins next week is if Harbaugh retires midweek.☺️  His record in the series is not good.  I don't see how Michigan beats tOSU.  But even if Michigan magically beats the Buckeyes, then Ohio State has two losses.

Oregon has two losses after getting blown out yesterday at Utah and either Georgia or Alabama is going to lose and if it's 'Bama that'll have two losses.  Cincinnati and Notre Dame both have a chance.  Notre Dame needs to beat a bad Stanford team on the road next week.

I'd still like to see the Irish not make the playoff and get a nice warm site bowl game.

Bump.

On 9/11/2021 at 7:03 PM, Irishman said:

A few ranked teams seem to be struggling early. Loved seeing the Ducks win in Columbus. Number 5 Texas A&M hangs on in Denver to beat unranked Colorado. The Irish have their own thread so won't discuss their struggle here. 

As we likely know though; any team in the top ten who is not Alabama, is just fighting for the chance to have their butts kicked by Bama. 

Crazy that A&M was ranked 5th.....otherwise, not too shabby if I must say. 🙂

3 hours ago, temptation said:

I’ll root for student athletes

Then you're in good company with Notre Dame and Michigan. Many fans are unaware of this and most probably don't care, but Michigan rivals any Power Five program not named Notre Dame, Northwestern, or Stanford when it comes to academic standards for student athletes. 

2 hours ago, temptation said:

Details coming soon.

Looking forward to it. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, BTF said:

Then you're in good company with Notre Dame and Michigan. Many fans are unaware of this and most probably don't care, but Michigan rivals any Power Five program not named Notre Dame, Northwestern, or Stanford when it comes to academic standards for student athletes. 

Michigan does a fine job, although Minnesota is actually better in the B1G. But Michigan’s football team is right behind Northwestern. 

“Michigan set an all-time record high report with a four-year average GSR of 95 percent, which is 14 percentage points higher than it was in 2010 and one point higher than last year. U-M's four-year rolling average FGR of 81 percent tied its all-time high from the 2020, 2017 and 2018 reports.

Among Big Ten Conference institutions, Michigan had the third-highest GSR at 95 and the third-best FGR score of 81.”

Notre Dame has led the nation in GSR for 14 straight years.

• Haha 1

Cost to the U
$8 million to buy out Manny Diaz

$9 million to buy out Mario Cristobal at Oregon

$8 million for Cristobal’s salary

Had Cristobal won a National Championship or two, mayyyyybeeeee. Miami is taking on the win now or go bust mindset apparently. 

I am not sure that college athletics can sustain this; throw in the NIL money players will be getting as well. 

2 hours ago, Irishman said:

Cost to the U
$8 million to buy out Manny Diaz

$9 million to buy out Mario Cristobal at Oregon

$8 million for Cristobal’s salary

Had Cristobal won a National Championship or two, mayyyyybeeeee. Miami is taking on the win now or go bust mindset apparently. 

I am not sure that college athletics can sustain this; throw in the NIL money players will be getting as well. 

Who is BKs DC in the bayou?  Does Manny speak Cajun too?