Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral vs Westfield on Friday!

This is going to be one hell of a game.  Big stadium, sold-out crowd (for sure).  A lot of positive hype for Danny O'Neil who won't even turn 16 until after the football season so he will be center stage in a monster environment and so excited anticipating how he responds.  Westfield is loaded this year too, I think it will be them or CG to take the 6A crown with a lot of space between them and the other 6A teams.  Too early to make predictions just wanted to get thread started.

Maxpreps has Westfield ranked #2 and Irish #5 in pre-season state rankings rankings 

52 minutes ago, BTF said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this Cathedral team supposed to be their best of all time? If that's the case, I'll take the Irish in this one. 

Yes, I am just giving Westfield credit they deserve as they are going to be much better than last year and last year they were pretty damn good, and have great senior backfield.  I will say Irish win, but will probably be much closer than last year's 56-20 beat-down on the Rocks.

12 minutes ago, Dave007 said:

Yes, I am just giving Westfield credit they deserve as they are going to be much better than last year and last year they were pretty damn good, and have great senior backfield.  I will say Irish win, but will probably be much closer than last year's 56-20 beat-down on the Rocks.

That doesn't bode well for the north. 

I'll be there Friday night.  It should be a good one.  I don't know if the Irish will be better than last year, that's a tough task imho, but they should be pretty good.  A lot of inexperience at the skill possessions, except at WR, but no lack of talent.

23 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

I'll be there Friday night.  It should be a good one.  I don't know if the Irish will be better than last year, that's a tough task imho, but they should be pretty good.  A lot of inexperience at the skill possessions, except at WR, but no lack of talent.

Two senior WRs (Page, Hughes) two senior running backs (Mencer, Tazz), junior WR1 (Tibbs) and TE1 (Wooten), senior TE (Spellacy).

Soph QB Danny O'Neill is our only skill player without experience. That said, the only non-senior starters on either side are O'Neill and Power5 Junior Recruits (Gilbert, Tibbs, Wooten). 

1 hour ago, Bash Riprock said:

If Popeye and the Dline can get pressure on an inexperienced QB, it could make for an interesting game.  But that is dependent upon keeping the Irish ground game in check.

2 very good teams!!

Believe O'Neil saw a couple series in this game last year as a freshman. McCahill was out a series with some cramps and O'Neil played the last few series in a blowout win. 

I think Westfield is going to struggle scoring. Going to have to force a ton of turnovers and limit big plays to keep this one close. I have the Irish 38-10.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Believe O'Neil saw a couple series in this game last year as a freshman. McCahill was out a series with some cramps and O'Neil played the last few series in a blowout win. 

I think Westfield is going to struggle scoring. Going to have to force a ton of turnovers and limit big plays to keep this one close. I have the Irish 38-10.

Westfield is better than they were last year and this is going to be a four touchdown game?

2 minutes ago, Footballking16 said:

Cathedral is better this year than they were last year and beat Westfield by 5 TD's. And it wasn't that close either

It was also the first game of the season. Best of luck. 

16 minutes ago, BTF said:

It was also the first game of the season. Best of luck. 

Right. And I'd like to think Cathedral got better last year as the season progressed. 

Unless the the soph QB is just extremely overwhelmed (he played a fair amount last year) I don't see Westfield keep it close. Irish D is just too good. 

1 minute ago, Footballking16 said:

Right. And I'd like to think Cathedral got better last year as the season progressed. 

Unless the the soph QB is just extremely overwhelmed (he played a fair amount last year) I don't see Westfield keep it close. Irish D is just too good. 

It should be an interesting game nonetheless. 

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

Westfield got a lot better last year as the season progressed.