Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Cathedral vs Westfield on Friday!

1 minute ago, WestfieldRocks said:

Westfield also was without QB Maximus Webster for a lot of the second and third quarter, after taking a hit early second quarter. Backup Cole Ballard (Colt's GM's son) threw three of the four pics, the last two when Westfield was knocking on the door to score. Westfield also had a TD taken away via a penalty after Ballard ran it in. The next play he was knocked out with a knee injury, and Webster came back in.

Westfield had no answer for that huge, quick Cathedral defense. They almost totally shut down the run game and were in the QBs face almost all game. Credit Westfield's defense, down their best player, but still held the Irish to 14 poinits, and if not for two very costly Ballard errant throws deep in Irish territory, could have actually won this game.

You answered two of the questions I had: was Webster injured or were they just rotating QB’s. I thought Webster may have been hurt but did see him come back in. And was wondering if that was Chris’ son or perhaps former mayor Greg Ballard’s son.

The Irish gained a lot of yards in the first half, but shot themselves in the foot when inside the 10 yard line.  Westfield had a lot to do with the four missed red zone trips, but the Irish contributed to the problem also.

The defense bent some but came up with the big play when needed.  They were the key to this Irish win for sure.

O'Neill has all the tools and all he needs is experience.  Nice first game for him all things considered.

There's a lot to work on, but the talent and the coaching staff is there to get the job done.

It sure was good to be back in the stands!😄

1 hour ago, WestfieldRocks said:

Westfield also was without QB Maximus Webster for a lot of the second and third quarter, after taking a hit early second quarter. Backup Cole Ballard (Colt's GM's son) threw three of the four pics, the last two when Westfield was knocking on the door to score. Westfield also had a TD taken away via a penalty after Ballard ran it in. The next play he was knocked out with a knee injury, and Webster came back in.

When the defense is swarming and knocks out QB1, it's part of the game. Irish D was nasty as advertised. No matter who threw the picks, it happened from a gnarly defense (and especially front 7) getting after the QB early. Not sure who might score on them outside of Cincy LaSalle and CG. 

5 hours ago, WestfieldRocks said:

Westfield had no answer for that huge, quick Cathedral defense. They almost totally shut down the run game and were in the QBs face almost all game. Credit Westfield's defense, down their best player, but still held the Irish to 14 poinits, and if not for two very costly Ballard errant throws deep in Irish territory, could have actually won this game.

Actually Ballard and Webster both threw 2 picks each.

Cathedral looks to be solid. Their defense seems stout enough to carry them as their offense gels and gains experience. Cathedral Soph QB can really zing the ball. I would venture to say the Irish coaches will really work on cleaning up the penalties in practice. One of the Westfield drives that got deep in Irish territory had a lot of penalties (I think it was 40 or 45 yards in penalties on that 1 drive). 

Westfield has 2 very good QB's. Hopefully neither of their injuries are serious.

Irish defense was smashing, offense a little slow out of the gate but Danny clearly calmed down second half.  Irish had 93 yards in penalties while giving up zero points is probably the most ridiculous stat line.  I am sure they will work on that this week as priority as the poster above mentioned.

7 hours ago, FastpacedO said:

Actually Ballard and Webster both threw 2 picks each.

Cathedral looks to be solid. Their defense seems stout enough to carry them as their offense gels and gains experience. Cathedral Soph QB can really zing the ball. I would venture to say the Irish coaches will really work on cleaning up the penalties in practice. One of the Westfield drives that got deep in Irish territory had a lot of penalties (I think it was 40 or 45 yards in penalties on that 1 drive). 

Westfield has 2 very good QB's. Hopefully neither of their injuries are serious.

Your correct, my error. It was two picks each. Webster did come back into the game. Ballard remained on a training table until the end of the game. They were working on his right knee. Both teams had the usual first game mistakes. A simple false start cost Westfield a TD, which would have made it 14-7 with plenty of the 4th quarter left. Those things will get cleaned up. 

12 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Cathedral J/V 35 Westfield 21

Patrick Mazur with 300 yards passing and 4TDs.

Cathedral Frosh 25 Westfield 19

RB Isaiah Bass w 2 rushing TDs and an 80 yard kickoff return. 

And the beat goes on, except for last year. Westfield won both of these games on their way to both undefeated JV and Freshman team seasons.

6 minutes ago, WestfieldRocks said:

And the beat goes on, except for last year. Westfield won both of these games on their way to both undefeated JV and Freshman team seasons.

It's been a fun 2 year contract. I hope you guys can work us back into your schedule down the road. Good luck the rest of the year. Hope you make the 6A title game again. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

It's been a fun 2 year contract. I hope you guys can work us back into your schedule down the road. Good luck the rest of the year. Hope you make the 6A title game again. 

I'm not sure who the two nonconference games are next season. Lafayette Harrison is probably one game. We continued to schedule them even after the three Lafayette schools left the HCC.

I have two questions.

Why have "senior day" on opening night?

Also, where was any traffic control leaving the lot Friday night?  It took almost as much time to get off the lot as it took to get home to the east side of Indy/

Outstanding facility!

On 8/21/2021 at 12:54 PM, WestfieldRocks said:

Your correct, my error. It was two picks each. Webster did come back into the game. Ballard remained on a training table until the end of the game. They were working on his right knee. Both teams had the usual first game mistakes. A simple false start cost Westfield a TD, which would have made it 14-7 with plenty of the 4th quarter left. Those things will get cleaned up. 

Thanks for posting the Freshman and JV scores!

On 8/23/2021 at 6:08 PM, PHJIrish said:

I have two questions.

Why have "senior day" on opening night?

Also, where was any traffic control leaving the lot Friday night?  It took almost as much time to get off the lot as it took to get home to the east side of Indy/

Outstanding facility!

Senior day should always be on the first night. Celebrate the seniors first with good weather, start of the year, best crowds, no upset parents,  and not having to worry about the feel of the last games for seniors at the end. I love it. 

On 8/21/2021 at 1:08 PM, WestfieldRocks said:

I'm not sure who the two nonconference games are next season. Lafayette Harrison is probably one game. We continued to schedule them even after the three Lafayette schools left the HCC.

I could be wrong but I saw somewhere that Westfield will play New Pal and Lawrence central next year for their non conference.

On 8/20/2021 at 11:46 PM, WestfieldRocks said:

Really! I have no idea why Cathedral doesn't want play up to 6A for the tournament. They will again roll over 5A opponents come tournament time. They they will have no choice next year, as the success factor will bump them up to 6A.

Thank you Bobby Cox.😉

Irish win 20-7.

Th Irish offense is still a work in process, but QB Danny O'Neil did throw an 80 yard TD to Jaron Tibbs in the first quarter.  The Irish defense was stout, except for the Brownsburg drive that resulted in their only score in the 3rd quarter.  The Bulldogs ran at will and seemed to have found a weakness in the Irish defense, but the coaches made some adjustments and the defense stiffened the rest of the game.

Next up for Cathedral is Penn at Arlington next Friday.

10 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Irish win 20-7.

Th Irish offense is still a work in process, but QB Danny O'Neil did throw an 80 yard TD to Jaron Tibbs in the first quarter.  The Irish defense was stout, except for the Brownsburg drive that resulted in their only score in the 3rd quarter.  The Bulldogs ran at will and seemed to have found a weakness in the Irish defense, but the coaches made some adjustments and the defense stiffened the rest of the game.

Wrong thread player… 

Ugh for Penn.. they are flat out awful this year.. Cathedral needs a break after 2 monster games to start the season. 

10 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Irish win 20-7.

Wrong thread!😒

10 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Irish win 20-7.

That’s gonna be a long bus ride home for Penn next Friday…probably not what they had in mind when they added the Irish to the schedule.

Separate note, why is Cathedral playing games at Arlington these days and not Tech?

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, temptation said:

That’s gonna be a long bus ride home for Penn next Friday…probably not what they had in mind when they added the Irish to the schedule.

Separate note, why is Cathedral playing games at Arlington these days and not Tech?

Penn is going to get absolutely torn to shreds. They are NOT a good football team this year lol. 

17 minutes ago, temptation said:

That is always a good question that gets asked often and the way I see it:

1.  Arlington is very close proximity to CHS 

2. Arlington was home field to Cathedral's football team through the 1970's and early 1980's

3.  Cathedral embraces and advocates its football tradition, so playing games at AHS are very meaningful to the program and alumni alike

4.  A doner has a landscaping company that completely refurbished the playing surface two years ago.  It looks like a turf field, but it is not.

I also think it is a great home field advantage, as visiting teams and fans do not like to play/go there.  To be honest with all these amazing stadiums these days (Westfield, CG, Carmel, etc) I love the opportunity for some 'old school' venue football on a Friday night to mix it up.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

Arlington has been Cathedral's home field for a few years now.  It's close to Cathedral and available are the main reasons, imo.

Edited by PHJIrish
change a word

We played Whiteland there last year in the playoffs.  Tech used to be our primary "home field" but Arlington became available and we've been there the last 3 or 4 years primarily.  We have taken over the maintenance on the field, so it's quite playable normally.  It is still a grass field.