Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Week 1 Officiating Issues

Bobref

Question

Well, there really shouldn’t be any … yet. But we’ll have a separate thread each week for questions, observations, and even a few complaints. But keep in mind, you need to give us something a little more specific than “those refs sucked. We had 11 penalties, and they only had 4!” If you’re just bitching, you will be openly ridiculed. Fair warning. The more specific information you can give about the situation, the more likely it is the discussion generated will be informative. And that’s the goal.

I’d really like to hear some observations about implementation of the new rule affecting blocking below the waist in the free blocking zone. Also, this year’s points of emphasis: intentional grounding, illegal formations, and ineligible downfield.

• Like 2

9 answers to this question

2 hours ago, Bobref said:

Well, there really shouldn’t be any … yet. But we’ll have a separate thread each week for questions, observations, and even a few complaints. But keep in mind, you need to give us something a little more specific than “those refs sucked. We had 11 penalties, and they only had 4!” If you’re just bitching, you will be openly ridiculed. Fair warning. The more specific information you can give about the situation, the more likely it is the discussion generated will be informative. And that’s the goal.

I’d really like to hear some observations about implementation of the new rule affecting blocking below the waist in the free blocking zone. Also, this year’s points of emphasis: intentional grounding, illegal formations, and ineligible downfield.

At our scrimmage we didn't have any issues with the above points of emphasis. 

• Like 1

On 8/16/2021 at 8:48 AM, Bobref said:

What is the point of emphasis on intentional grounding?  I saw one called Friday - which was obvious and an infraction any way you sliced it. Just curious what was the PoE this year. 

4 minutes ago, oldtimeqb said:

What is the point of emphasis on intentional grounding?  I saw one called Friday - which was obvious and an infraction any way you sliced it. Just curious what was the PoE this year. 

We’re supposed to be a little less forgiving on passes that appear to be “thrown away.” But from our standpoint, the emphasis is on the process the crew uses to determine whether there was a foul or not.

I find it curious that this would be a POE at the same time there are a couple of states authorized by the NF to experiment with rules like the NCAA and NFL have.

• Thanks 1

53 minutes ago, Bobref said:

I find it curious that this would be a POE at the same time there are a couple of states authorized by the NF to experiment with rules like the NCAA and NFL have.

Thank you. I don’t think it would have been a foul under NFL rules at least from my angle.  

The POE/experimentation issue is what I was confused about. I assumed it would have only been one of them. 

51 minutes ago, US31 said:

I would argue that I did not see any change in grounding or man downfield calls.  As a defensive guy, I appreciate the effort...but am not holding my breath.

Any change will be difficult to detect on a game by game basis. Neither the rules nor their interpretations have changed.

I think the PoE for intentional grounding was because too many officials bail out an obvious attempt to throw an incomplete pass under the current rules. One that gets anger from the coaches that we get is when the QB sails the ball over the receiver's head on the sideline and it lands on the track. He's not trying to complete that pass and by current rules should be a foul. I'm pretty sure many crews incorrectly let this go. I'm a big fan of the experiment others states are using similar to NCAA/NFL rules and hope it eventually passes. But that doesn't mean I should officiate it like we already have it.