Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Booster 2021-22

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 8/18/2021 at 10:16 PM, DK_Barons said:

It's (past) that time again. A new year is upon us. There are teams to support and bills to pay.

There is a now a new Booster group available. The old group is now once again exposed to the ads on the site.

To be placed in the Booster 2021-22 group and have the ads hidden from view until July 1, 2022 make a donation of $30 or more anytime this fiscal year.

Thank you for all your past and your continued support of the Gridiron Digest.

I wanna help is all. No stones thrown here. Just help maybe. Its apparent you have a domain name. Dont know how many members we have but lets say for chuckles 1500. I think the site uses an onsite Server as Ive seen a request for RAM and such? Have you ever considered transferring it to a Web Site hosting company (other than Go Daddy) as it would eliminate most homegrown costs? Really curious how it costs 3000+ for a basic forum? No harm no foul. Just a question.

9 hours ago, globemstr3 said:

I wanna help is all. No stones thrown here. Just help maybe. Its apparent you have a domain name. Dont know how many members we have but lets say for chuckles 1500. I think the site uses an onsite Server as Ive seen a request for RAM and such? Have you ever considered transferring it to a Web Site hosting company (other than Go Daddy) as it would eliminate most homegrown costs? Really curious how it costs 3000+ for a basic forum? No harm no foul. Just a question.

I have been kicked off of 3 different shared hosting companies due to a breach of contract. This forum dominates the processor (actually MySQL is what does it) and it isn't fair to the others sharing the space. 

We had one that was just $7 a month for hosting and their bandwidth caps were large enough based on our past use at the time. so we set up there and didn't last 60 days until I go the eviction email stating we were breaking their network. I think that was the last one before I rented a dedicated server then later we got our own and collocate it in Fort Wayne. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, globemstr3 said:

I forgot to touch on the costs. Our collation is just over $200 a month. I budget it at $2500 a year. The forum software went up from $170/yr to $240/yr this fall (they hadn't changed the price for e over 10 years though). Our SSL certificate runs $399 every 2 years so $200/yr. We own the .net, .com, .org, and .info URLs which costs about $100/yr to keep the registrations up to date. To keep the hard drives on a 3 year replacement rotation it costs between $100/yr to $150/yr depending on the current market prices. Then there's all the hours I put in that would be billed at $75-$100/hr that I charge exactly $0/yr for 🙂. I'm sure that are a few minor incidentals I'm leaving out but it's pretty easy to see how quickly we reach an annual operating cost north of $3k. 

I don't mind sharing these numbers at all. I think I had a similar post on a recent years post where it was ask. 

I think this thing has far outgrew anything Tim ever imagined when he started it up. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

10 hours ago, DK_Barons said:

I forgot to touch on the costs. Our collation is just over $200 a month. I budget it at $2500 a year. The forum software went up from $170/yr to $240/yr this fall (they hadn't changed the price for e over 10 years though). Our SSL certificate runs $399 every 2 years so $200/yr. We own the .net, .com, .org, and .info URLs which costs about $100/yr to keep the registrations up to date. To keep the hard drives on a 3 year replacement rotation it costs between $100/yr to $150/yr depending on the current market prices. Then there's all the hours I put in that would be billed at $75-$100/hr that I charge exactly $0/yr for 🙂. I'm sure that are a few minor incidentals I'm leaving out but it's pretty easy to see how quickly we reach an annual operating cost north of $3k. 

I don't mind sharing these numbers at all. I think I had a similar post on a recent years post where it was ask. 

I think this thing has far outgrew anything Tim ever imagined when he started it up. 

Thank you for what you do DK.  I might also add that all of the content moderators on here are not compensated for their time (or their troubles)!  I can think of very few investments that I have made over the past few years, that have given me as much enjoyment as the DIgest, and I don't read but about 15% of the topics.

• Like 3

On 10/21/2021 at 10:15 AM, nmsu_aggie said:

Thank you for what you do DK.  I might also add that all of the content moderators on here are not compensated for their time (or their troubles)!  I can think of very few investments that I have made over the past few years, that have given me as much enjoyment as the DIgest, and I don't read but about 15% of the topics.

Most folks probably spend more per month on a gym membership that they never use than on GID for the year ... and probably don't enjoy the gym half as much when they go as GID. 

Then again, there is always that one friend that you have that keeps asking you for your Netflix password.

• Like 3