3 East Central 1-0 55

4 East Noble 1-0 55

5 Leo 1-0 41

6 Jasper (1) 1-0 38

7 Chatard 0-1 34

8 Delta 1-0 25

9 Evansville Central 0-1 21

10 New Prairie 1-0 21

Others receiving votes: Pendleton Heights 1-0 (17), Columbia City 1-0 (13), Mt. Vernon (Fortville) 0-1 (12), Hobart 0-1 (11), Martinsville 1-0 (11), Indpls Attucks 0-1 (8), Northridge 1-0 (7), Ev. Memorial 0-1 (4), Northview 1-0 (4), Greenfield Central 0-1 (1), Logansport 1-0 (1)

So I am kind of curious how Roncalli got less votes this week (91) than in the preseaon poll (93) after getting 9/10 first place votes this week.

Center Grove and Cathedral got all 10 first place votes in their classes and got 100 votes.

Does that mean whover voted Jasper first in their one poll had Roncalli at #10?  (9 first plates = 90 points, one #10 = 1 point?)

52 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

So I am kind of curious how Roncalli got less votes this week (91) than in the preseaon poll (93) after getting 9/10 first place votes this week.

Center Grove and Cathedral got all 10 first place votes in their classes and got 100 votes.

Does that mean whover voted Jasper first in their one poll had Roncalli at #10?  (9 first plates = 90 points, one #10 = 1 point?)

Great question.  I’m more baffled about ATTUCKS and GREENFIELD-CENTRAL though.

3 minutes ago, temptation said:

Great question.  I’m more baffled about ATTUCKS and GREENFIELD-CENTRAL though.

4A is really wacky.  They have by far the most number of teams receiving votes.  

Can’t comment on GC, but I saw Attucks last year.  Maybe 20 players on that team.   Should be playing against 1A schools.  

17 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

4A is really wacky.  They have by far the most number of teams receiving votes.  

Can’t comment on GC, but I saw Attucks last year.  Maybe 20 players on that team.   Should be playing against 1A schools.  

ATTUCKS got EIGHT votes after losing by FIVE touchdowns.

Edited by temptation

44 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Time to beat North, and hopefully we make it back in the top 10!

I really don’t understand how voters drop Memorial out of the top 10 if they think Jasper is #6 since it was a close game and then move Central into the poll.  

But as I mentioned, votes are scattered  all over the place. 

15 minutes ago, fenderbender said:

I really don’t understand how voters drop Memorial out of the top 10 if they think Jasper is #6 since it was a close game and then move Central into the poll.  

But as I mentioned, votes are scattered  all over the place. 

If I recall, preseason was

5. Central 

10. Memorial 

16. Jasper

Mississinewa lost in the closing seconds against Pendleton Heights yet PH is 11th based on the votes.  Mississinewa had 3 key players go out with 1 returning in the 4th quarter.  Mississinewa played all of the 4th and most of the 3rd with a sophomore QB that didn't really take any snaps in practice because he starts at WR according to the coach.  So is PH that good or is Mississinewa better if they had everybody the entire game.  It's only week 1 and the tests for most schools will come later in the season.

This is killing me.  The worst part is that Chatard is playing a MIC schedule and might well have a losing season....and then play Roncalli in Game 1.  They are NOT #8 in 4A.  My general feeling is that outside of Roncalli, 3A still remains a better class overall these days.  

14 minutes ago, Lysander said:

This is killing me.  The worst part is that Chatard is playing a MIC schedule and might well have a losing season....and then play Roncalli in Game 1.  They are NOT #8 in 4A.  My general feeling is that outside of Roncalli, 3A still remains a better class overall these days.  

Mooresville and East Central?

18 minutes ago, Lysander said:

I'm thinkin' yeah...maybe.......this year.  Sounds about right.

I am amazed by the disparity between the the very top teams in some classes and the rest of the class.  (Especially 4A North)

4A is a good example.  Silver Creek was undefeated and ranked.  They got waxed by EC in sectionals.

We will soon have more data to see how good Brebuf/EC/Roncalli/Chatard/GC are since there are a lot of common oppenents.

I have heard comments that Chatard looks small this year.  3 or 4 years ago I thought the same thing about Roncalli's linemen when they lined up against Chatard.   

On 8/25/2021 at 4:32 AM, Lysander said:

Yeah I probably have Chatard ranked too low.  My bad on that.  I overreacted to the Brebeuf loss.  But after seeing that Brebeuf blew out New Palestine and how competitive Chatard was against Warren Central, I moved Chatard up in my 4A poll.  I moved them ahead of East Noble and now have them tied with Evansville Memorial at sixth.  The only reason I don't have Chatard higher than that is because of how good I think the teams that I have ranked above them are.  I won't drop Chatard in my 4A poll regardless of the results against Roncalli and Cathedral because of how good those teams are.  The Evansville Mater Dei-Evansville Memorial game in week 4 will break the tie between Evansville Memorial and Chatard for me.

My 4A top 10 after week 2:

1.  Roncalli

2.  Mooresville

3.  Leo

4.  Jasper

5.  East Central

Tied for 6.  Evansville Memorial and Chatard

8.  East Noble

9.  Northridge

10.  Hobart

Edited by LC_Bears_04

3 hours ago, LC_Bears_04 said:

Yeah I probably have Chatard ranked too low.  My bad on that.  I overreacted to the Brebeuf loss.  But after seeing that Brebeuf blew out New Palestine and how competitive Chatard was against Warren Central, I moved Chatard up in my 4A poll.  I moved them ahead of East Noble and now have them tied with Evansville Memorial at sixth.  The only reason I don't have Chatard higher than that is because of how good I think the teams that I have ranked above them are.  I won't drop Chatard in my 4A poll regardless of the results against Roncalli and Cathedral because of how good those teams are.  The Evansville Mater Dei-Evansville Memorial game in week 4 will break the tie between Evansville Memorial and Chatard for me.

My 4A top 10 after week 2:

1.  Roncalli

2.  Mooresville

3.  Leo

4.  Jasper

5.  East Central

Tied for 6.  Evansville Memorial and Chatard

8.  East Noble

9.  Northridge

10.  Hobart

I understand your thinking and respect it.......and I don't get too hung up about rankings outside of the analytic rankings.  My feeling about Chatard is about the same as it has been.  They are a solid, solid group but have the misfortune of following a couple of teams that likely rank amongst some of the best Chatard teams (especially the 2019 group).  They are a bit undersized vs traditional teams.  Additionally, for whatever reason, they are also not seeming to be able to convert extra points or field goals...which is, hopefully, fixable.

With all that, they are playing an even more challenging early schedule than these prior teams.  I think upcoming Roncalli is a Top 10 All Classes group....and they are HUGE.  Upcoming Cathedral last year essentially proved that the only team in all of Indiana or Ohio that was better than they were was Center Grove....and that game was lost in the final seconds.  I expect them to again be at that level this year- No. 1 or No. 2 in all of Indiana.   Warren Central remains to be seen but I think its quite likely they end up a Top 10 Team...especially with Kirschner at the helm.  Brebeuf, by all rights appears to be legit....add that Chatard had 4 turnovers that game and, I believe, only 1 extra point on 3 TDs...still Brebeuf is for real by all appearances...I think they are damn good.

In the Warren Central game, once again, I think Chatard only had 1 extra point conversion on 4 TDs.  Otherwise, its a 28-36 game with Chatard having the ball in the last minute of the game (final score actually ending up 36-25).  It remains to be seen just how Chatard fares playing Roncalli and Cathedral and that will tell me a lot more.

But here is the question I'm asking myself following the Warren Central game (it's not a question I would have asked prior). 

Other than Roncalli, could any of the teams listed above prevent Warren Central from putting them on the wrong side of a running clock....let alone actually lead Warren a good part of the game?

13 hours ago, Lysander said:

I understand your thinking and respect it.......and I don't get too hung up about rankings outside of the analytic rankings.  My feeling about Chatard is about the same as it has been.  They are a solid, solid group but have the misfortune of following a couple of teams that likely rank amongst some of the best Chatard teams (especially the 2019 group).  They are a bit undersized vs traditional teams.  Additionally, for whatever reason, they are also not seeming to be able to convert extra points or field goals...which is, hopefully, fixable.

With all that, they are playing an even more challenging early schedule than these prior teams.  I think upcoming Roncalli is a Top 10 All Classes group....and they are HUGE.  Upcoming Cathedral last year essentially proved that the only team in all of Indiana or Ohio that was better than they were was Center Grove....and that game was lost in the final seconds.  I expect them to again be at that level this year- No. 1 or No. 2 in all of Indiana.   Warren Central remains to be seen but I think its quite likely they end up a Top 10 Team...especially with Kirschner at the helm.  Brebeuf, by all rights appears to be legit....add that Chatard had 4 turnovers that game and, I believe, only 1 extra point on 3 TDs...still Brebeuf is for real by all appearances...I think they are damn good.

In the Warren Central game, once again, I think Chatard only had 1 extra point conversion on 4 TDs.  Otherwise, its a 28-36 game with Chatard having the ball in the last minute of the game (final score actually ending up 36-25).  It remains to be seen just how Chatard fares playing Roncalli and Cathedral and that will tell me a lot more.

But here is the question I'm asking myself following the Warren Central game (it's not a question I would have asked prior). 

Other than Roncalli, could any of the teams listed above prevent Warren Central from putting them on the wrong side of a running clock....let alone actually lead Warren a good part of the game?

I have watched parts of both Mooresville's games, both of Jasper's games, one of Memorial's games (all this season) and saw a good portion of the North half the bracket last year.  To answer your question, I don't think I saw a defense that could keep out of a running clock situation with Warren Central.

Mooresville has some nice talent on offense, but Roncalli ran over them last year like they were not even there and I think this year Mooreville will be smaller than last year.  They also gave up some big plays to Danville.

Jasper has given up some big plays to EM and Harrison and they still seem to put the ball on the ground a lot.  Maybe due to their option game??  Though they throw the ball better this year.

Looking forward to Sectional 22 Championship preview on Friday.