Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Does Purdue Pete scare your kids? He's voted creepiest and second worst mascot in NCAA

Muda69

https://www.jconline.com/story/news/2021/08/24/purdue-university-mascots-purdue-pete-ncaa-voted-creepiest-second-worst-mascot/5571792001/

Purdue Pete is creepy?

Apparently so. His blank stare and disproportionately large head don't help matters, according to Quality Logo Products Bog, which conducted a survey this month that found Purdue Pete as the creepiest mascot among NCAA Division 1 football teams.

The dubious accolades didn't stop there. Purdue Pete was also named second worst among the 128 mascots judged in categories that included “The Sexiest College Mascots in America” and “The Most Offensive College Mascots in America.”

In addition to being named the creepiest college mascot, Purdue Pete was an honorable mention in the "unsexiest" in America.

To be honest, this may not come as a surprise to Purdue University or Boilermaker fans. Purdue Pete has undergone five makeovers, according to the university, since he first appeared in University Bookstore ads in 1940.

In 2010, the university attempted a remake of Purdue Pete after reports the mascot was frightening children.

"Look, I'm the one who gets the phone calls from parents who say that big face scares their 3-year-old," the late Purdue Athletic Director Morgan Burke, was quoted in The Indy Star in 2010. "It's been 25 to 30 years since he got a makeover. At some point, the poor old guy has to come into the 21st century."

Much like Coke and New Coke, the makeover of Purdue Pete didn't go over well. A year after the makeover, old Purdue Pete reemerged.

"The fans have spoken, and we are listening. They like the Purdue Pete they've known for the last 30 years, and that's the one we're going with," Burke said in an April 2011 Purdue news release. 

"Fan passion trumps prototype. That level of passion is synonymous with athletic success, and we're all for that. Fans can see the unretired Purdue Pete in Ross-Ade Stadium Sept. 3 (2011).

Coming in as second creepiest, Cayenne, the 8 feet tall, anthropomorphic mascot for the University of Louisiana at Lafayette.

Hilarious.   This will have those PU faithful who already have a big enough inferiority complex regarding their instate rivals to the south wailing and crying more than they usually do.

Edited by Muda69
  • Haha 1

I could never find Purdue Pete scary … since my lasting memory of him is of a couple of IU students braining Pete with his own sledgehammer, and then the Purdue cheerleaders dragging an unconscious Pete out the back of the south end zone in Bloomington. All this during the brawl that was the Bucket game in 1971 — the greatest college football game that nobody knows about.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, southend said:

After that game, it was the last year that both bands were at the bucket game at the same time. 

I tell people about that game, and they look at me like I dreamed the whole thing. Otis Armstrong running in a screen pass from about 60 yds. out, and they had to drag the unconscious Pete out of the end zone so they could play the try. The bands brawling, players and fans duking it out on the field, chaos in the stands. What a game!

11 minutes ago, southend said:

I was at the game,The year before ,in west Lafayette. I had a sister attending Purdue. The bands got into it at that game as they were switching positions to play on the field.  So I’m thinking retaliation for the game at IU the next year

You have GOT to love that!

Creepy or not. the sports program in West Lafayette will be just fine.  The football season will do well, anywhere between 7-9 wins, before their bowl game.  But I'm really excited about basketball with good reason.  Stefanovich, Williams, and some guy named Ivey will hopefully pour it on as well as a great freshman class.

This could be an epic year.

Scary?  Definitely funny!!  Try the link below!!

Adam Musielak (@Coach_AdamMoose) Tweeted:
Gotta LOVE this ESPN edit for college football of Purdue Pete hitting the drum and then hitting himself in the head. Tough week for Purdue Pete, recently voted college’s creepiest mascot! @ChronicHoosier @TheMopLady #iufb https://t.co/9ExPRYlk1g

Edited by Bash Riprock
  • Haha 1