Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

1 hour ago, Temptation said:

Got it.  Just looked it up.  Thought he would be faster.  Didn’t crack the varsity lineup in the 100 (two can compete per event in the tournament) and ran on a 4x100 that finished EIGHTH at the sectional.

Where does he rank on the gridiron in terms of fastest players on the team?

What percentage of New Pal footballers compete in track in the spring?

Genuinely curious.

If I remember correctly, there was an incident with the 4x100 team on the exchange at sectional. One runner stepped on another, rolling his ankle and shredding the shoe of the next runner.

As for ranking the players speed, I don’t know the answer to that. Top 5 at least?

Ralph also coaches track so there are quite a few football players that participate.

Not sure Spegal had ever run track before. It seems to have helped, as Ive notice a difference in spring and summer stuff.

3 hours ago, Temptation said:

This is where Driven’s proposal makes sense.  CG is the only team in his proposal that can consistently compete with the other three.  It’ll never be “fair” but asking schools to compete in a tournaments against schools 2-2.5 times their size in terms of enrollment is asinine.

Which begs the question.  Why can CG do it with an enrollment of around 2500 (half of Carmel) yet no one else seems to have broken through and proven they can on a year in year out basis?

I have some theories but would love your input first.

I’m curious to hear your theories. 

39 minutes ago, Grover said:

I’m curious to hear your theories. 

In no particular order:

- Coaching staff consistency/congruency (length of tenure/early experiences) (Moore also coaching track)

- Facilities

- Athletic departments’ level of commitment

- Socioeconomics/home life

- Simplicity of playbook (I mean this in a good way.  Kids know it front and back early and they don’t try to be flashy and outsmart the room.  They know what they do well and they execute it to perfection.  Far too many coaches screw this up and make a simple concept complicated.). (Example:  The shotgun/spread on 3rd/4th and short.)

Edited by Guest

2 hours ago, TrojanDad said:

I would add a great feeder system is also needed.  One of the reasons young athletes know things front and back is because they've been running the system for years.  Plus, it feeds the culture at an early age.

That was sort of my intent with the coaching staff consistency/congruency portion of my statement.  Couldn’t agree more with you.

I would also add since they have been run the same off. starting in 2nd grade by the time they get to high school you can spend more time work on new things. Like the spread so in a since when you play cg you have to prepare for to total different off.

• 4 weeks later...

Glad that Coach Simmons has had a full offseason under his belt. The Giants seem focused in for 2019. I think we'll know pretty fast how they're going to be with Brownsburg and Avon in the first two weeks. I think the Giants need to win one of those first two games or at least be very competitive in both. 13 returning starters is great plus lots of experience. Critical year for the BD program, IMO. BD has to re-establish itself in the upper tier of the MIC, and that won't be easy with NC moving up into that level last year and LC and LN bidding for that this year.

45 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

Glad that Coach Simmons has had a full offseason under his belt. The Giants seem focused in for 2019. I think we'll know pretty fast how they're going to be with Brownsburg and Avon in the first two weeks. I think the Giants need to win one of those first two games or at least be very competitive in both. 13 returning starters is great plus lots of experience. Critical year for the BD program, IMO. BD has to re-establish itself in the upper tier of the MIC, and that won't be easy with NC moving up into that level last year and LC and LN bidding for that this year.

Really?

Is this the new norm at BD?  Now we are only looking for the Giants to be competitive in big games?

Wow.  Times sure have changed.  Doesn't BD still have almost 5000 students 9-12 and the best facilities and coaching staff money can buy?

Edited by DT

On 7/10/2019 at 10:10 PM, Olympian06 said:

I would say the state record will be almost impossible after what Charlie Spiegle will put up this year.. I think he is only 500 yards away from breaking the record, he will run for 4000+ this year I’m sure. 

4000 is probably a big stretch.  Lol, but you're right, assuming he doesn't get hurt he will absolutely obliterate the record. 

49 minutes ago, DT said:

Really?

Is this the new norm at BD?  Now we are only looking for the Giants to be competitive in big games?

Wow.  Times sure have changed.  Doesn't BD still have almost 5000 students 9-12 and the best facilities and coaching staff money can buy?

“Competitive” against Hendricks County schools with nearly 2000 fewer students at that.

BD is a .500 team at best in my opinion.  Call me a hater but I’m just not a big believer in Simmons.  There’s more to the Kirschner departure that is indicative of a larger problem...

17 hours ago, Temptation said:

“Competitive” against Hendricks County schools with nearly 2000 fewer students at that.

BD is a .500 team at best in my opinion.  Call me a hater but I’m just not a big believer in Simmons.  There’s more to the Kirschner departure that is indicative of a larger problem...

I don’t believe they’ll only be .500 for a second.  Folks, in 2017 they won 63-14 and 20 months later you’re saying that being competitive is the new norm.  They lost 53 seniors that year and still haven’t fully recovered from that loss.  Many people think a program this size can just rebuild, but it’s simply not the case.  When you’re 2 deep at every position and still have seniors left over, that’s very hard to recover and be competitive right away.  A majority of the guys playing against BD varsity in 17 who returned and 18 or 19 were also playing varsity.  The guys who came in for BD 18 were from JV or freshman mostly.  You can not simulate that type of speed at the JV level, especially in a conference as strong as the MIC.

That said, it’s not as if BD was horrible last year, they were still #9 according to the Sagarin.  Both Avon and Brownsburg have fantastic talent and great coaching.  BD almost beat Avon last year even with the loss of 53 seniors and, furthermore, were competitive in every game last year with the exception of WC, who was the 2018 version of BD.

Before you write off Jason Simmons, at least see what he can do with some talent returning.  Giants will at the very least be in the regional, but I think they go to the semi-state before bowing out.  They’ll be fine!

On 8/8/2019 at 4:45 PM, Temptation said:

I would add until proven otherwise that Brownsburg and Avon are the best the HCC can provide. So we're talking the cream of the HCC vs. a rebuilding middle MIC team in Ben Davis.  But, I'm never surprised when the Giants beat these Hendricks County rivals.

23 minutes ago, Staxawax said:

I would add until proven otherwise that Brownsburg and Avon are the best the HCC can provide. So we're talking the cream of the HCC vs. a rebuilding middle MIC team in Ben Davis.  But, I'm never surprised when the Giants beat these Hendricks County rivals.

And unfortunately there is no mercy for a team that is “rebuilding” in the MIC...but for some reason that term makes me feel uncomfortable when talking about Ben Davis (a school of 4500 students).

On 8/8/2019 at 3:54 PM, DT said:

Is this the new norm at BD? 

It's my opinion. Others may have different opinions. I believe Temptation's prediction is not that far off of mine, given the competiton. With Brownsburg and Avon up first, we'll see what the picture looks like. You win both of those, then we're looking at a team that's probably pretty good. 

On 8/8/2019 at 4:45 PM, Temptation said:

As far as Kirschner's departure goes, he was burnt out at BD and ready for another challenge. I know that's hard for people to accept, but that's what happened.

I have a lot of respect for Jason. He took his lumps last year, and he's now had a full offseason to coach 'em up. People won't reboot their expectations, so it's going to be important to show progress from year one to two. I don't think he'd disagree with that.

Edited by BDGiant93

22 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

It's my opinion. Others may have different opinions. I believe Temptation's prediction is not that far off of mine, given the competiton. With Brownsburg and Avon up first, we'll see what the picture looks like. You win both of those, then we're looking at a team that's probably pretty good. 

As far as Kirschner's departure goes, he was burnt out at BD and ready for another challenge. I know that's hard for people to accept, but that's what happened.

I have a lot of respect for Jason. He took his lumps last year, and he's now had a full offseason to coach 'em up. People won't reboot their expectations, so it's going to be important to show progress from year one to two. I don't think he'd disagree with that.

I think it’s widely known that he was burned out as he said so in as many words (although much more politically correctly) when he left.

Its a tough gig for obvious reasons and though I joke about the advantages of having 4500 students it has its disadvantages as well.  I assume the “burn out” (your words) had little/nothing to do with Friday nights but all of the extra baggage that comes with the job.

I assume since Simmons is younger and not as established he is up to the challenge but following a legend is not easy and changing a culture may be even harder.  Time will tell.

Let’s get back on topic.  How does everyone see the MIC shaking out this fall?  I see three tiers and a lot of parity personally.

State Title Contenders:

1.  Carmel - probably the safest pick as they are talented on both sides of the ball as Brevard, Wise and Downing are flat out studs.

2.  Center Grove - should be an interesting year on the south side as everyone knows they are getting a heavy dose of Carson Steele but can they stop it?

3.  Warren - the Purcell departure gives them some question marks but they are high on their back up kid.  Wells is a stud and they’ll reload elsewhere.

Damn Good But Not Elite:

4.  North Central - the strides this program have made in the past couple of years are nothing short of remarkable.  They may have been Warren’s biggest threat last season and have question marks at QB this fall but O’Shea can flat out coach,

5.  Lawrence Central - the second year under Rodenburg should provide better results as he now knows what it takes to compete in central Indiana.  Heard rumors of a couple of kids transferring into LC from across town that should help.

6.  Ben Davis - I’m bullish on the Giants.  Everyone knew 2018 would be a step back but three wins?  A lot of returnees this fall but is that a good thing when your defense gave up nearly 40 per game (when taking the Tech game out of the equation)?

Just Not There..Yet

7.  Lawrence North - I am rooting hard for these guys and they have a couple of pieces in place but just not enough to escape the bottom tier.  They’ll get someone this year though.

8.  Pike - it’ll be a tough rebuild in Pike Township and I hope folks are patient as you might not see it reflect much in the box score in 2019.

Thoughts?  Agree/disagree?

17 hours ago, Temptation said:

I think it’s widely known that he was burned out as he said so in as many words (although much more politically correctly) when he left.

Its a tough gig for obvious reasons and though I joke about the advantages of having 4500 students it has its disadvantages as well.  I assume the “burn out” (your words) had little/nothing to do with Friday nights but all of the extra baggage that comes with the job.

I assume since Simmons is younger and not as established he is up to the challenge but following a legend is not easy and changing a culture may be even harder.  Time will tell.

I don't want people to read anything into what I am writing. There is no subtext to Mike. He says exactly what he means. He's no nonsense, honest and direct. He left because he thought it was time to do something else. He wanted a bit of a different pace. He wasn't looking when Mt. Vernon found him.

As Kyle Neddenriep wrote:
"But Kirschner said himself that this move was more about needing a change of pace than it was about moving up the coaching ladder. Coaching at Ben Davis is time-consuming job. There are more than 200 kids in the program and it is a year-round commitment. Kirschner, at age 56, was not ready to give up coaching, but was ready to see it from a different angle."

Mike worked incredibly hard. It was a 24 hour job for him year around, and his family is a football family. Mama Kirsch is all in. I will always love and respect Coach Kirschner for the man he is and the job he did getting the Giants back to Championship level football. I have nothing to say bad about him, ever. 

Coach Simmons is not wholly unfamiliar to BD. He was an assistant under Tom and Mike and was an Assistant AD before he left to go to Noblesville. He knows the rigors of the job. 

3 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

I don't want people to read anything into what I am writing. There is no subtext to Mike. He says exactly what he means. He's no nonsense, honest and direct. He left because he thought it was time to do something else. He wanted a bit of a different pace. He wasn't looking when Mt. Vernon found him.

As Kyle Neddenriep wrote:
"But Kirschner said himself that this move was more about needing a change of pace than it was about moving up the coaching ladder. Coaching at Ben Davis is time-consuming job. There are more than 200 kids in the program and it is a year-round commitment. Kirschner, at age 56, was not ready to give up coaching, but was ready to see it from a different angle."

Mike worked incredibly hard. It was a 24 hour job for him year around, and his family is a football family. Mama Kirsch is all in. I will always love and respect Coach Kirschner for the man he is and the job he did getting the Giants back to Championship level football. I have nothing to say bad about him, ever. 

Coach Simmons is not wholly unfamiliar to BD. He was an assistant under Tom and Mike and was an Assistant AD before he left to go to Noblesville. He knows the rigors of the job. 

But BD is a different place than it was when Simmons started under Allen.  No denying that.  It’s harder currently than it’s ever been.

10 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

BD's a great place. The challenges are different, and the rewards are great.

While possibly true, these comments and the ones I made are not mutually exclusive...

20 minutes ago, TrojanDad said:

Lawrence North has higher expectations this year based on what I've been reading.  Kudos to Pat Mallory.  Heck of a coach!!

The Wildcats have a young QB getting a bunch of acclaim and has a number of offers already I believe.

True but I just don’t see a path to the top half of the conference for LN...though they do get BD and WC in back to back weeks AT HOME this fall.  I smell an upset in one of them...

Side note related to the Wildcats, whose bright idea was it to move the LC game to Lucas Oil?  It’s a great rivalry game and you’re gonna require both fan bases from schools five minutes apart to drive 20 minutes downtown to play in front of 67,000 empty seats whereas LN has some great facility upgrades?!

Seems ridiculous to this guy...

Edited by Guest

42 minutes ago, Temptation said:

True but I just don’t see a path to the top half of the conference for LN...though they do get BD and WC in back to back weeks AT HOME this fall.  I smell an upset in one of them...

Side note related to the Wildcats, whose bright idea was it to move the LC game to Lucas Oil?  It’s a great rivalry game and you’re gonna require both fan bases from schools five minutes apart to drive 20 minutes downtown to play in front of 67,000 empty seats whereas LN has some great facility upgrades?!

Seems ridiculous to this guy...

as an LC alum, I think it's a great idea.  I guess attendance numbers will determine if it was or was not.

• Like 1