Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Zionsville FB

2 hours ago, bucksfan said:

Will the new HC be an outsider or promoted from within?

Whomever it is hopefully they can drum up more community support.  I was shocked to see the lack of turnout at a home playoff game, that was winnable, against the #1 team in the state this past season.   I know the weather was awful but is this normal?

On 1/15/2019 at 1:22 PM, dmizers3 said:

Whomever it is hopefully they can drum up more community support.  I was shocked to see the lack of turnout at a home playoff game, that was winnable, against the #1 team in the state this past season.   I know the weather was awful but is this normal?

The last two years, I believe we have played them during Fall Break.  And video broadcast has killed game day attendance from what I've seen.

Edited by CaptainHook

13 hours ago, CaptainHook said:

The last two years, I believe we have played them during Fall Break.  And video broadcast has killed game day attendance from what I've seen.

There wasn't a video broadcast of this year's NP-Zionsville game (or at least there wasn't a legal one - ours was the only approved broadcast by the IHSAA). 

3 minutes ago, indycoach10 said:

ISC did it via tape delay. They sent a camera and added the commentary later. I think it wasn't available until Monday or Tuesday. 

The only live broadcast (at least IHSAA-approved) was our New Palestine audio webcast. We did have 800+ listeners that night, which is bonkers for a high school game. The weather and Zionsville being on fall break might have contributed to the turnout that evening, because that was one of the best games in the state. 

Interesting impact that live feed video is having on game attendance.

I've watched several Center Grove games over the past two seasons.  Of course, they have their own network, kind of like the Longhorn Network.  😀

10 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

There wasn't a video broadcast of this year's NP-Zionsville game (or at least there wasn't a legal one - ours was the only approved broadcast by the IHSAA). 

there was a live feed on FB Live thru Zionsville . . . it wasn't very good. . . couple of students broadcasting from the booth.

Edited by CaptainHook

On 1/18/2019 at 10:43 PM, CaptainHook said:

there was a live feed on FB Live thru Zionsville . . . it wasn't very good. . . couple of students broadcasting from the booth.

They did not go through the process with the IHSAA for permission for a tournament game (which includes permission and a rights fee), which they obviously did not do because they were not listed as being an approved broadcaster. A lot of school-based broadcasters just set up and assume everything is OK because they never pay attention to the IHSAA's media rules (which are significant and get stricter by the day). 

That's a big, big no-no and can land the broadcaster in hot water with the IHSAA. We all have to pay significant rights fees to broadcast a tournament game. 

On 1/18/2019 at 5:17 PM, DT said:

Interesting impact that live feed video is having on game attendance.

I've watched several Center Grove games over the past two seasons.  Of course, they have their own network, kind of like the Longhorn Network.  😀

Live video has minimal impact on attendance. 

11 hours ago, crimsonace1 said:

Live video has minimal impact on attendance. 

You think the live feed of a game is having minimal impact on attendance at high school athletic contests?  I would like for you to discuss your opinion with SEVERAL AD's within the state.  I think they can provide numbers that would suggest a different opinion.  This was a topic of discussion at the state finals IFCA board meeting.

On 1/21/2019 at 7:58 AM, Major said:

You think the live feed of a game is having minimal impact on attendance at high school athletic contests?  I would like for you to discuss your opinion with SEVERAL AD's within the state.  I think they can provide numbers that would suggest a different opinion.  This was a topic of discussion at the state finals IFCA board meeting.

I have discussed it with ADs. On the other hand, live video is a two-hour commercial for your school and the game experience and allows people who are out of town to connect. Our biggest-attended games have also been the ones that are live-video streamed (we had IHSAAtv in for two games this year and Center Grove's video for one ... those were also our three biggest gates). 

Hearing that interviews are happening this week. Also hearing that the Zionsville posted the weight lifting teaching position and HC position separately, opening the possibility of a lay coach being hired as the HC. Two names to look out for if Zville goes that route... Offensive Line Coach and Super Bowl Champion Dylan Gandy, has offensive coordinator experience and has been on the staff for a few seasons, has also produced several scholarship guys from his position group since being there. Another internal name, Matt Geske, who has been the OC for the past 4 seasons, and the offense has been one of the state's best under his command. He is also not a teacher (not sure what he does) so would be a lay coach hire. If they go external hire, obviously both positions would likely be given to one person, but interesting that they are keeping their options open. 

I don't know much about Zionsville except I know my in-laws live near the school. Looking on John Harrell, they've had more success in the sectional than the regular season. Will the new coach struggle with both the regular season and sectional assuming Zionsville does move to 6A? If so, does that make this job less attractive than one might expect?

33 minutes ago, JQWL said:

I don't know much about Zionsville except I know my in-laws live near the school. Looking on John Harrell, they've had more success in the sectional than the regular season. Will the new coach struggle with both the regular season and sectional assuming Zionsville does move to 6A? If so, does that make this job less attractive than one might expect?

Tough to say, obviously. Will be interesting to see who is in their 6A sectional alignment, I think that's the biggest factor. Last season was their most competitive season against top-level competition in 6a as they played both Brownsburg tight and beat Avon. But then you have questionable losses against HSE and the worst of all, Pike.  

1 hour ago, sls said:

I have no hard data to support this...

But I had conversations w/ 3 different head coaches this past week at Glazier and all 3 "feel" that live streams have hurt attendance, ESPECIALLY when weather id bad.

Its really a no brainer.  Crimsonace is wearing his company hat to protect media interests with his ludicrous statements.  Everyone on this forum with half a brain knows that live video feed negatively impacts game attendance.  It only takes two old men to sit at home on their rockers to change the attendance numbers.  

49 minutes ago, DT said:

Its really a no brainer.  Crimsonace is wearing his company hat to protect media interests with his ludicrous statements.  Everyone on this forum with half a brain knows that live video feed negatively impacts game attendance.  It only takes two old men to sit at home on their rockers to change the attendance numbers.  

I don’t even need a live video stream. I have listened to games on my iPad from our local radio station instead of going to a game. 

Stayed cool/warm. No lines for restrooms or concessions.  Unlimited beverages and snacks. Can also watch a rerun TWD episode 😀 while listening. And get to chuckle at the announcers moan and groan about anything and everything. 

7 hours ago, indycoach10 said:

No you're being inflammatory and hyperbolic about someone who has a opinion that differs from you. I'm not sure I see the point in such things. It is your m/o to do so, however. When someone calls you out on it, you typically call them a snowflake or tell them they are being overly sensitive. It's just has gotten tiring to see quite honestly and a bit nettlesome. 

Crimsonace is much more connected to ADs than I imagine you are. Check out the live feed of the New Pal/Center Grove game which had 2 live feeds going at once. That crowd from the looks on film was one of the biggest crowds I've seen for a high school football game outside of Carmel/CG and games at the Reitz bowl. So, while his opinion may not be absolute, it certainly has merit. Given his track record and well thought out contributions to this board, he certainly has more than half a brain. 

My writing is designed to elicit and encourage response and activity on this forum.  I can achieve those objectives through a variety of different approaches.  I am certain there are many on this board who are not offended by this particular style.

The New Pal - CG game would have been an absolute sellout with or without the live feed.  Center Grove home attendance is down, if what I read previously on this forum is accurate.  It has been attributed specifically to the availability of live stream content.  And I have no doubt whatsoever that the comments regarding AD's POV on live feeds impact are accurate.  Its only logical.  

Don't get me wrong.  I am a big fan of live feed.  It has allowed me to see more high school football than I would otherwise.  But it indeed has its negative ramifications.

Live feeds do not have that much of an impact for a conference like the MIC: heck they have their own TV Stream station all to themselves 

Where it does have a legit effect is 4a thru 1a and more so towards the smaller schools.   Small schools absolutely  rely on butts in seats.  If 100 fans stay home to watch online, that is over $500 out of the gate, that money may not mean much to Center Grove or New Pal, but it sure does to a place like Rensselaer or insert XYZ team

3 hours ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Live feeds do not have that much of an impact for a conference like the MIC: heck they have their own TV Stream station all to themselves 

Where it does have a legit effect is 4a thru 1a and more so towards the smaller schools.   Small schools absolutely  rely on butts in seats.  If 100 fans stay home to watch online, that is over $500 out of the gate, that money may not mean much to Center Grove or New Pal, but it sure does to a place like Rensselaer or insert XYZ team

This is off topic of the thread subject, but I have question:

If live feeds hurt the budget of a school... why don't they decide to NOT offer a live feed? Also, if a school is willing to allow live feeds, they should attempt to recoup money lost from butts in seats with advertisements (I'm sure some are already doing this).

21 hours ago, NLCTigerFan07 said:

This is off topic of the thread subject, but I have question:

If live feeds hurt the budget of a school... why don't they decide to NOT offer a live feed? Also, if a school is willing to allow live feeds, they should attempt to recoup money lost from butts in seats with advertisements (I'm sure some are already doing this).

I believe some due charge and that will continue to grow as well.  

We only have had MTC sports do our games, but they have been in Lafayette, and they came to Rensselaer once in 2014 or maybe twice, before streams really started to take off.  In that year, much like New Pal, we were really good and butts were in seats.  

I amend my statement.  Having a live video feed of your game occasionally does not hurt attendance.  Having your games broadcast weekly via video feed most definitely hurts attendance.  Why go to the game if you don't have a kid on field and can stay and watch the game from your living room?  Haven't I seen post after post this season about MIC attendance?  Not a coincidence that all these schools broadcast their games.  I'd be willing to wager a hefty sum that if all New Palestine games were broadcast, our attendance would decline.