Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Penn at Cathedral

I am not sure what is happening out at Penn.  This year they are struggling.  Valpo beat them badly and was shocked they lost to Laporte in OT.  They barely had 200 yds in total offense.  The Irish toasted them bi last year.  Could be as bad if not worse this year.

In a game where Cathedral should be able to name the score, execution and attention to detail will likely be my two biggest takeaways. Offensive line play has been very suspect, if not downright bad, over the culmination of the last two weeks. This should be a nice confidence booster. Can’t have another game with double digit penalties and 100+ yards worth of penalties. That drives me crazy.

I have Cathedral winning 49-0. Backups finally get some reps playing the last quarter and a half with a running clock.

Quite often these games never quite go down the way anyone predicts but I have to think Cathedral will use this game as an opportunity to work on those aspects of their game that they think may be in need of a tune up.  Add, as was said above by FK16, it should offer an opportunity for backups to get some live reps.

The final score and pace of the game is going to be whatever Cathedral wants it to be.

19 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Lets have some respect for a legendary program. We all have ebbs and flows. Excited to host the Kingsmen. Gonna be a great night at Arlington. 

I'll always respect the heck out of the Penn program, and it's hard to follow Chris Geesman and everything he did up there. Cory Yeoman is a good football coach. Still miss playing Penn every year. BD and the Kingsmen had some good battles.

That said, after what the Irish are about to do to the Kingsmen, I think it will be a long ride back to Mishawaka. Health to both teams. 

20 minutes ago, BDGiant93 said:

I'll always respect the heck out of the Penn program, and it's hard to follow Chris Geesman and everything he did up there. Cory Yeoman is a good football coach. Still miss playing Penn every year. BD and the Kingsmen had some good battles.

That said, after what the Irish are about to do to the Kingsmen, I think it will be a long ride back to Mishawaka. Health to both teams. 

This board used to be absolutely loaded with Penn people. But now, barely a whisper. That’s unfortunate, because I’d really like to hear some thoughts about what has caused the steady decline of that program. Let me be clear. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Coach Yeoman, and the entire program. I worked the final game of my on field officiating career at Penn. And when I think about what they did for me that night, I still get choked up. A 100% class act all the way. Always. They were so good, for so long, with such great tradition and culture. What has happened?

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Bobref said:

This board used to be absolutely loaded with Penn people. But now, barely a whisper. That’s unfortunate, because I’d really like to hear some thoughts about what has caused the steady decline of that program. Let me be clear. I have nothing but the utmost respect for Coach Yeoman, and the entire program. I worked the final game of my on field officiating career at Penn. And when I think about what they did for me that night, I still get choked up. A 100% class act all the way. Always. They were so good, for so long, with such great tradition and culture. What has happened?

It has nothing to do with enrollment or spike in % of students with f/r lunch. For sure can tell you that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

In all honesty it’s likely a culmination of things.

1. 6A has simply caught up. During the 90’s and early 2000’s, you weren’t going to find many teams bigger and stronger than Penn. I’d say most 6A programs today have not only caught up to the Kingsman in their strength and conditioning program, but left them in the dust. Penn just looks like a 4A school when they line up to play.

2. Decline in the city of South Bend. South Bend in generally has just been on the rapid  decline. The SB public schools are non-existent, St. Joe is fading fast, it’s not just Penn.

3. Schedule. Think it’s finally caught up. Penn’s decline has been going on several years but hasn’t always appeared that way on the surface. Penn has always benefitted record wise playing predominantly 3A-4A schools and with the inception of a 6th class, Penn has been able to avoid Valpo and Snider in most years in the north half of the bracket. Some pretty bad Penn teams have been able to sleepwalk through 6A north sectionals and regionals.

4. likely a level of apathy. I know posters on GID don’t represent entire fan bases, but you alluded earlier that they are non-existent on here. There used to be a ton. I sense a general level of apathy has set in the Penn football program and not sure it’s ever coming back to the level of excellence some are accustomed to seeing. 

Lot of people in Northern Indiana wonder what has become of Penn football.  It just does not have the interest and enthusiasm it did a few years ago.  I am not sure what they could be lacking in facilities etc. over on their campus.  Just seems a little strange yet Ben Davis has not been setting the world on fire over the past few years as well.  Yet many looked forward to their yearly meetings in the past.

4 hours ago, ASJCPUMA said:

Lot of people in Northern Indiana wonder what has become of Penn football.  It just does not have the interest and enthusiasm it did a few years ago.  I am not sure what they could be lacking in facilities etc. over on their campus.  Just seems a little strange yet Ben Davis has not been setting the world on fire over the past few years as well.  Yet many looked forward to their yearly meetings in the past.

Really? Ben Davis state champions in 2014 & 2017.