Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Bishop Sycamore

On 8/30/2021 at 11:47 AM, Irishman said:

I agree that ESPN does not deserve a break here; the game being on ESPN is on them. But let's not ignore the folks at IMG. Did they have game film going into the contest? If so, they should have seen PLENTY of red flags that said this would be ugly. Not hearing or reading that anyone at IMG said a thing. Did they go into the game with no film? That should have been a red flag too. This is about exposure on a big stage; even for the BS program. As someone said even bad publicity is still publicity. 

They both own a pretty signficant error IM...no disagreement.

But ESPN should have some level of quality control to verify programming before they offer it up to the nation.  Without ESPN televising the game, no one really pays much attention to it, do they??

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Lysander said:

“Fraud” being the operative word.  With which IMG and ESPN are willing participants.  Clearly IMG knew from the year prior what was going on…..and ESPN must have intentionally been averting their eyes.

I'm wondering what the appeal was for IMG.  They can pretty much thrash just about anyone they want.  Are the pickings that thin for folks that will square off with IMG?  It's my understanding that they played Duncanville, TX in 2020, so they are getting top teams with an interest.  Perhaps it was the fact that this was a specific game at a specific venue on a specific date that pretty much made them decide that they'd rather face Sycamore than have an open date?

1 hour ago, TigerFan20 said:

Maybe they just called it Columbus Sycamore for the WC game, rather than the full name, so my bad.

I think it is the same though......I do remember similar issues with the team back then that exist now. 

I did see a post on Bleacher Report that the head coach was fired. 

5 hours ago, foxbat said:

I'm wondering what the appeal was for IMG.  They can pretty much thrash just about anyone they want.  Are the pickings that thin for folks that will square off with IMG?  It's my understanding that they played Duncanville, TX in 2020, so they are getting top teams with an interest.  Perhaps it was the fact that this was a specific game at a specific venue on a specific date that pretty much made them decide that they'd rather face Sycamore than have an open date?

Maybe they have trouble getting teams to play them...can't have too many bye weeks in a season

IMG is not a high school program. They need to stop being placed on ESPN. Show real high school programs. I don’t want to watch IMG. That’s not high school football.

Now mix IMG with with Bishop sycamore that is just absolutely ridiculous. What I don’t get is that IMG played Bishop sycamore last season… so wouldn’t have IMG have known and understood what they were going up against?? Just ridiculous 

• Like 3

I saw that the state of Ohio has opened an investigation into the "school." It's also been reported that the coach of the team has an open arrest warrant somewhere. It's also been alleged by a parent of a former player that many of the kids on the team are 19 to 20 years old.

We learned more about how Bishop Sycamore ended up playing on ESPN, and it's only getting shadier (awfulannouncing.com)

Edited by ptr

1 hour ago, Indiana Fan said:

IMG is not a high school program. They need to stop being placed on ESPN. Show real high school programs. I don’t want to watch IMG. That’s not high school football.

Now mix IMG with with Bishop sycamore that is just absolutely ridiculous. What I don’t get is that IMG played Bishop sycamore last season… so wouldn’t have IMG have known and understood what they were going up against?? Just ridiculous 

IMG is indeed not a regular high school program.  Their campus is massive and includes a golf course.  It is a prep school for athletic purposes only. I agree that they should not be labeled a "high school" by Espn.  There are plenty of high schools in the United States of America to fill the needs of Espn.

22 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

IMG is indeed not a regular high school program.  Their campus is massive and includes a golf course.  It is a prep school for athletic purposes only. I agree that they should not be labeled a "high school" by Espn.  There are plenty of high schools in the United States of America to fill the needs of Espn.

Hell, it even has a nice ass hotel when you enter the entrance and full furnished villas too

Edited by TigerFan20
  • Like 1

Bishop Sycamore loses four football opponents amid controversy:  https://www.foxnews.com/sports/bishop-sycamore-loses-opponents-controversy

Bishop Sycamore lost four high school football opponents on Tuesday following the debacle from its appearance against one of the top programs in the nation.

DeMatha Catholic, Duncanville, Liberty and Johnson Central all decided to cancel games with Bishop Sycamore, according to Max Preps. Bishop Sycamore had a schedule filled with top-tier programs across the U.S., but after losing to IMG Academy 58-0 and the revelation the school duped a marketing agency to be put into a national television slot, the handful of teams have reconsidered playing the school.

"We have been doing a lot of researching, and after discussing it with our coaching staff, we decided to cancel that game with Bishop Sycamore because they have ineligible players and it would be a liability issue. We think this is the right decision," DeMatha Carolina president Fr. James R. Day told USA Today.

The dropouts came as Bishop Sycamore head coach Roy Johnson was fired. It was revealed Johnson had an active warrant out for his arrest and he was facing a civil lawsuit for alleged fraud.

Andre Peterson, who is the founder director of the school as well as an assistant coach, told USA Today on Tuesday that Johnson was no longer with the team. Peterson said he made the decision after the IMG Academy game Sunday but wanted to wait until he had one more conversation with Johnson before making the parting final.

The Ohio school had come under fire after it appeared to dupe a marketing agency into putting it into a spotlight game against IMG Academy. Paragon Marketing Group did the scheduling for the GEICO ESPN High School Football Kickoff, and not ESPN, according to the Columbus Dispatch.

"We regret that this happened and have discussed it with Paragon, which secured the matchup and handles the majority of our high school event scheduling," ESPN said in a statement. "They have assured us that they will take steps to prevent this kind of situation from happening moving forward."

Peterson pushed back on allegations the school was a "scam."

"There’s nothing that I’ve gotten out of this that would constitute it as a scam because I’m not gaining anything financially from what we’re doing. The reality of it is that I have a son (Javan) that’s also in the program and has been in the program for four years," he said.

"If it’s a scam and the kids are not going to school and not doing what they’re supposed to do, then I’m literally scamming myself. And most importantly, I’m hurting my own son. So when people say stuff like that … I would literally be taking my son’s future and throwing it in the trash."

6 minutes ago, Muda69 said:

Bishop Sycamore loses four football opponents amid controversy:  https://www.foxnews.com/sports/bishop-sycamore-loses-opponents-controversy

Are you sure?  I’ve been told Fox News is “fake news” by some…

Can you provide an alternate source?

Edited by temptation
  • Haha 1
  • Disdain 1

10 hours ago, TigerFan20 said:

Hell, it even has a nice ass hotel when you enter the entrance and full furnished villas too

Tuition Cost

Yearly Tuition
(Boarding Students)
$84,400
(Tuition varies depending on your sport program.)

Yearly Tuition
(Day Students)
$67,400
(Tuition varies depending on your sport program. Contact us to learn more.)
Just now, Dave007 said:

Tuition Cost

Yearly Tuition
(Boarding Students)
$84,400
(Tuition varies depending on your sport program.)

Yearly Tuition
(Day Students)
$67,400
(Tuition varies depending on your sport program. Contact us to learn more.)

By the way, above tuition costs are for IMG not Bishop Sycamore lol....