Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

What happened to Linton Miner football in here?

Im a displaced Miner in Caroliner. I follow my Miners rabidly. I understand some folks have passed that kept it rollin. I would love to step up but heck Im in NC. I know the Program but can't see or feel the heartbeat. I couldn't do that. Need someone who was there, smelled the Ribeyes, watched a game, win lose or draw. Maybe those times are over.

3 hours ago, globemstr3 said:

Im a displaced Miner in Caroliner. I follow my Miners rabidly. I understand some folks have passed that kept it rollin. I would love to step up but heck Im in NC. I know the Program but can't see or feel the heartbeat. I couldn't do that. Need someone who was there, smelled the Ribeyes, watched a game, win lose or draw. Maybe those times are over.

IDK, Mark.  I've just given it up.  I try but I get no response.  Can't even keep a topic on page 1.  Right or wrong, we're ranked number 1 in 2A on Sagarin, but who cares.

The Miners did the same with Sullivan. Both of them are very good football teams (Southridge and Sullivan) but its very early in the season. I hope its not a conditioning thing. Miners really need to start generating 1st half scores. As teams become more conditioned and cooler weather that edge will be gone. Monrovia is yet another very good team so if you wait till the 2nd half to turn it on you might just run out of clock. We all have seen that happen before. Just a thought.

44 minutes ago, globemstr3 said:

The Miners did the same with Sullivan. Both of them are very good football teams (Southridge and Sullivan) but its very early in the season. I hope its not a conditioning thing. Miners really need to start generating 1st half scores. As teams become more conditioned and cooler weather that edge will be gone. Monrovia is yet another very good team so if you wait till the 2nd half to turn it on you might just run out of clock. We all have seen that happen before. Just a thought.

Has Linton had many covid tracing or covid players...I know Sullivan was missing some key lineman last week...no excuse...just what I had heard!  Monrovia will be a good test again I believe.

On 8/31/2021 at 4:35 PM, globemstr3 said:

They have ribeyes at the concession?

Some of the best sammiches you'll ever find at a HS football game. Been a long tradition. If ya ever watch a video thats the smoke you see from the grills.Ribeyes and various other great stuff. I understand now the student body does it as a great fundraiser. Watching from your lawn chair you brought from the end zone. Ribeye sammich, soft drink in hand, watching both stands go crazy, It don't get no better than that at the Roy. One common goal....just to watch HS football.

On 9/1/2021 at 7:11 AM, Ugminer said:

It seems like there isnt much talk on here at all, an not just Linton. I know the sites been down lately, but really even before that.

Yes it is. Seems like sports in general are not as popular as they used to be.

Linton Defense is best its been in a while... but I'll wait til we see an all out passing team how we do.  Still seem to give up a big pass play or two per game...  36 of Monrovia's 81 total yrds were on one pass play early on.  But I will say... the defense is different  this year... and the pressure on the QB is much more apparent.  But Monrovia isn't a pass orientated offense... and they could not run so it put them in a bad predicament once  our offense got afjusted and scored.  Linton's offense is good too, but it seems like it takes a half then adjustments made and they come out and unload in 2nd half.  We got to be able to count on the pass weekly.  Week 2's win over Sullivan was due to the the passing success.  It wasn't as sharp against Monrovia...but the run game with Hunter Gennicks keepers at QB had success.  Gennicks has started the year with three 100+ rushing efforts..but Eslinger and Johns have both provided big runs and solid inside threat from Smith is always there.  

Linton definitely was affected by quanrantine last week.. I don't have numbers other than they said we had like 29 players dressed as of Thursday.  maybe like 21 out.  That included 3 kids that started against Sullivan... and we had a new injury as well and were out two others from injuries.  So some guys swithed positions, and a couple others stepped in and made good on their chance to shine...  but we just can't handle  injuries in small school... and these quarantines due to contact exposure possibilieis really hurt... cause its something like 10 days then you gotta get so many prax in.. so a senior kid might miss 3 games and never have covid at all.   

As for LInton presence here on the Digest......there are a few reasons I think.  first...a lot of people back in those "glory" years had viable interests.. their kids or relatives were players...plus I think it was the thrill of the ride of the climb in 1A.  Linton was also playing a much lighter schedule...and was king of the hill in our region.  As much as I love the Linton fan base there was definitely there have always been those over the top.. and those...simply unknowledgeable... I never like largesse in anything.  But it  all cuminated in 2016's 1A title... the push up to 2A and the schedule changing to add the likes of Southridge, Boonville, Monrovia, Ritter, etc  and a sectional with Mater Dei as the dominant team...  had not necessarily cause people to jump off the bandwagon... but tempered the fuel level.  I am aggravated that our home crowds have been way down since the prominence of live video streaming.. people stay home or go watch from clubs or bars instead of being at the game.  That disturbs me alot.  I've not seen a vintage Miner crowd at the ROY in quite a while.. and that includes pre-Covid.    

I have to admit that  I am not nearly as active on the Digest myself... and it's not that I made a decision to do it less.. I just have no time it feels like.  2020 in general was a bad time... and the fact we got all our games in last year was the lone bright thing of the year.  WIth out schedule being much improved...the odds of seeing the Miners go 9-0 every year are much smaller... and being in a 2A sectional with Mater Dei.. sometime and probably again with Southridge... and every year there's someone else such as Tell City last year...  well we aren't looking at a time where we are gonna repeat the years in 1A as won 6 sectionals in a row and 9 of 10.   As you have heard me say earlier in another post... this really looks like the best over-all Miner team I've seen since the 2016 run.  But we are still small in a 2A terms...and injuries will play a part in rhe long term... then add this quarantine situation and it the end result my not reflect the real talent level should have been on the field. I hope for the kids who have put in the effort and time that they don't lose games just by being in a room with someone who was in a room with someone who might have been in contact with someone with Covid.   I realize it's more complicated than that... but dang. A kid being forced to sit out 3 games of his senior season when it's most likely not going to be Covid is just sad for the kid...  it honestly seems to me that if someone comes down with Covid in a sport like Football... with the sweat, the actual contact... and in  smaller schools... the small locker rooms... how does it not quarantine everyone??   

Anyway... Iike Tut said... I've posted a few things in a MIner thread and it seems like i'm posting it to just the other 3 or 4 Lintonites in the room.  I try to have a buildup to the game and cover the other team as much as I can.  WIth North Vermillion next up.. I figure a LInton NV thread will have a few more hits with the WRC thread always busy it seems.  I also figure the NK Linton game with be intense buildup as  the Warriors put it to us at the ROY last year....

3 minutes ago, Miner_Pride said:

Linton Defense is best its been in a while... but I'll wait til we see an all out passing team how we do.  Still seem to give up a big pass play or two per game...  36 of Monrovia's 81 total yrds were on one pass play early on.  But I will say... the defense is different  this year... and the pressure on the QB is much more apparent.  But Monrovia isn't a pass orientated offense... and they could not run so it put them in a bad predicament once  our offense got afjusted and scored.  Linton's offense is good too, but it seems like it takes a half then adjustments made and they come out and unload in 2nd half.  We got to be able to count on the pass weekly.  Week 2's win over Sullivan was due to the the passing success.  It wasn't as sharp against Monrovia...but the run game with Hunter Gennicks keepers at QB had success.  Gennicks has started the year with three 100+ rushing efforts..but Eslinger and Johns have both provided big runs and solid inside threat from Smith is always there.  

Linton definitely was affected by quanrantine last week.. I don't have numbers other than they said we had like 29 players dressed as of Thursday.  maybe like 21 out.  That included 3 kids that started against Sullivan... and we had a new injury as well and were out two others from injuries.  So some guys swithed positions, and a couple others stepped in and made good on their chance to shine...  but we just can't handle  injuries in small school... and these quarantines due to contact exposure possibilieis really hurt... cause its something like 10 days then you gotta get so many prax in.. so a senior kid might miss 3 games and never have covid at all.   

As for LInton presence here on the Digest......there are a few reasons I think.  first...a lot of people back in those "glory" years had viable interests.. their kids or relatives were players...plus I think it was the thrill of the ride of the climb in 1A.  Linton was also playing a much lighter schedule...and was king of the hill in our region.  As much as I love the Linton fan base there was definitely there have always been those over the top.. and those...simply unknowledgeable... I never like largesse in anything.  But it  all cuminated in 2016's 1A title... the push up to 2A and the schedule changing to add the likes of Southridge, Boonville, Monrovia, Ritter, etc  and a sectional with Mater Dei as the dominant team...  had not necessarily cause people to jump off the bandwagon... but tempered the fuel level.  I am aggravated that our home crowds have been way down since the prominence of live video streaming.. people stay home or go watch from clubs or bars instead of being at the game.  That disturbs me alot.  I've not seen a vintage Miner crowd at the ROY in quite a while.. and that includes pre-Covid.    

I have to admit that  I am not nearly as active on the Digest myself... and it's not that I made a decision to do it less.. I just have no time it feels like.  2020 in general was a bad time... and the fact we got all our games in last year was the lone bright thing of the year.  WIth out schedule being much improved...the odds of seeing the Miners go 9-0 every year are much smaller... and being in a 2A sectional with Mater Dei.. sometime and probably again with Southridge... and every year there's someone else such as Tell City last year...  well we aren't looking at a time where we are gonna repeat the years in 1A as won 6 sectionals in a row and 9 of 10.   As you have heard me say earlier in another post... this really looks like the best over-all Miner team I've seen since the 2016 run.  But we are still small in a 2A terms...and injuries will play a part in rhe long term... then add this quarantine situation and it the end result my not reflect the real talent level should have been on the field. I hope for the kids who have put in the effort and time that they don't lose games just by being in a room with someone who was in a room with someone who might have been in contact with someone with Covid.   I realize it's more complicated than that... but dang. A kid being forced to sit out 3 games of his senior season when it's most likely not going to be Covid is just sad for the kid...  it honestly seems to me that if someone comes down with Covid in a sport like Football... with the sweat, the actual contact... and in  smaller schools... the small locker rooms... how does it not quarantine everyone??   

Anyway... Iike Tut said... I've posted a few things in a MIner thread and it seems like i'm posting it to just the other 3 or 4 Lintonites in the room.  I try to have a buildup to the game and cover the other team as much as I can.  WIth North Vermillion next up.. I figure a LInton NV thread will have a few more hits with the WRC thread always busy it seems.  I also figure the NK Linton game with be intense buildup as  the Warriors put it to us at the ROY last year....

I wouldn’t expect much North Vermilions talk. They kinda disappeared as well. Rebs has already made his anal anti Brian Moores post. This game will be over before halftime. I swear to God it will! 

On 9/4/2021 at 11:51 AM, Warren05 said:

Well the 1st half turned out to be good. Bulldogs just fell apart in the 2nd 

Other than the 36 yard 3rd and 16 conversion  pass... Linton D stopped Monrovia all night.  That play must have stunned us because Belcher (who is defnitely gonna be another in a long line of tough Bulldog fullbacks!) was able to find just enough room to put the only Bulldog TD on the scoreboard... but after that, they didn't threaten.  But the Bulldog defense ..especially #1 at LB were doing solid as well.  We had a long pass dropped inside the 20..and another time wasted a long Gennicks run into Monrovia territory that a huge holding penalty made a 1st and 10...s 2nd and 35!   2nd half certainly started well for Linton driving down and scoring... another big play was the snap on a punt bouncing back to Belcher..then between his legs.. which set Linton up at their 15.  Gennicks keepers (two 30+ runs) and well as big runs from Eslinger and Johns just started taking their toll on the BUlldogs.  It was great to meet Coach Olson again.. and the friends I've made in the years we've been playing the Bulldogs!!!  Not to mention Warren05!!   

11 minutes ago, Donnie Baker said:

I wouldn’t expect much North Vermilions talk. They kinda disappeared as well. Rebs has already made his anal anti Brian Moores post. This game will be over before halftime. I swear to God it will! 

there's been a high level of respect and kinship really with the North Vermillion coaches and players and even fanbases since the teams have been scheduled.. but it really got set in stone  when Breaden Hollowell was killed in terrible auto accident.  Linton's team went to the viewing as a team.. as did others from nearby schools... but I think that made the teams bond.  Now I realize that nobody on the field this week other than the coaches themselves will have that bond.. altho I know NV will always remember #47...  but that respect has been handed down it seems.   Always a physical game on the field tho.   

Linton makes the long journey to Cayuga to face North Vermillion... a game that has been a regular meeting every week 4 since 2015, but also had met in post season games in 2015 and 2014.   The Falcons won that 2014 Regional game 31-8 that later saw the Falcons run the table beating Pioneer in the 1A state title game and finishing 15-0 for the year.  The MIners would win both meetings in 2015, the second game a semi-state 56-27 win sending Linton to their first state title game.  They lost that game to LCC,  but would return in 2016 to beat Pioneer for their 1A state trophy, beating NV 55-0 along the way.  Linton has dominated the series winning all six regular season meetings.

LAst year at the Roy is was a 52-7,  38-20 in 2019, 34-7 in 2018, 54-18 (2017), 55-0 (2016) and 21-7 in 2015. 

LInton comes in 3-0 with a win at  previously unbeaten Monrovia 34-8.  They have been a 2nd half team but only in terms of the offense.  They trailed 13-0 to Southridge at the half but won 27-13 shutting out the Raiders in  the 2nd half.  Linton beat 2-1 Sullivan 34-21 in a game that was 7-7 at the half.  THe MIners trailed 8-6 last week then put up 28 in the 2nd half and blanking the Bulldogs as well.  

North Vermillion has put up big offense...averaging 36.7 ppg.  THey opened up beating North Central 34-28 in overtime to open the season but have dropped 2 in a row including a high scoring 60-40 loss to 2-1 Covington last week.  THey also were on the wrong end of 50-36 tally against rival South Vermillion (1-2) in week 2.

Coach Brian Crabtree and Coach Brian Oliver are very familiar with each other as Coach Crabtree's coaching years at North Central were a yearly opponent with the Miners.  

Short Handed Miners Knock Monrovia From Unbeaten Status

It was a perfect night for high school football with a perfect atmosphere in Monrovia where the green clad Bulldogs were off to a 2-0 start and looking to end Linton’s 2 year run of victories over them.  Last year Linton and Monrovia battled to the final horn in a 42-36 Miner win.  The Bulldog community was out in full force with a light spattering of rain falling early on, but no sign of the extreme heat we’ve had the past two Fridays.

As the Miners took the field it was immediately noticeable the numbers were less in terms of players dressed in Miner Red White & Blue.  Linton was already down a starting lineman as Freshman Hank Gennicks tries to get healthy, as well as Sophomore Ty Boyd (TE/ILB) does the same.  Both hope to be back before season’s end.  Joining that list was 2 year starter Senior Jaydan Miller who was a vital player at Free Safety. Jaydan is also the punter, and place kicker.  Then you have the Covid Quarantine issue that has reared its ugly head once again affecting many if not all high school football teams (as well as everyone in general).  I can’t tell you specifics on any of it, but I know that we were without starting OL/NT Senior Donovan DeBruhl, and starting WR Ayden Riggleman, and last week’s starting RG Senior Cody Jackson.  I have no idea how many players were affected and not on the sideline, but it was more than a few.

The Miners have proven to be a 2nd half team in both wins this season thus far.  With the health news coming late in the week, I could feel a Miner team in pre-game preps in some degree of concern.  There is always a “Next Man Up” attitude in Miner Land, and Coach Oliver and his staff always work kids at different positions, and give plenty of practice reps to 2nd teamers for just this reason.  However, a long bus ride, this being the 1st road game and various players not playing; this set the stage for a possible let-down against a 2-0 team on their field for the 3rd week in a row.

All that said, Linton’s defense came out precisely as they had all season.  Back to Back runs from by the Bulldogs netted negative 6 yards rushing setting up a 3rd and 16.  Monrovia had only thrown 3 passes in their opening two wins, but still junior QB Eli Wagner hit a wide open junior TE Corbin Byrnes at midfield, gaining a total 36 yards to the Miner 29, only kept out of the end zone by Hunter Gennicks tackle.  Four consecutive dives from sophomore FB Brayton Belcher culminated in a 15 yard TD run at 7:57.  Belcher tagged 2 more points on a run to make it 8-0.  A 7-play 4:03 minute opening drive score that had Monrovia fans in cheers.

Linton lost 4 on their first play from scrimmage, but nearly salvaged the series on a 10 yard screen play to senior RB Drew Smith.  Junior Logan Webb, pressed into duty as both punter & kicker with MIller’s injury, to the Bulldog 41.  Linton’s defense immediately gave the Miners a lift was sophomore DE Wrigley Franklin slammed into the Bulldog backfield causing Wagner’s hand-off to Belcher to jar loose.  Actually several Miners were there as senior ILB Gabe Eslinger slammed Belcher to the ground, and senior OLB Jackson Lynn  jumped on the loose ball at the Bulldog 42.  Junior QB Hunter Gennicks looked to capitalize immediately with a long sideline aerial to senior WR Eli Poe.  Poe had gotten behind DB Gavin Followell inside the 20 and the pass was on the nose at the 11 for at minimum a big gain, but possibly a TD had he kept his balance.  But the football isn’t just a round ball, it has a unique shape indeed, and perhaps Poe was thinking about staying in bounds or maybe took his eyes off the ball for an instant and the ball bounded off his hands.  We’ve all seen Eli make catches; and interceptions as we will again later in the game.  Junior WB Hunter Johns did run for 12 for a First Down at the Bulldog 30 on 2nd and 10.  However that’s where the Miners stalled out after an incompletion, a loss of four, and a small game set up 4th and 9.  Gennicks tried a keeper but was met by senior LB’s Lennox Tkachuk and Alex Scdoris well short of needed gain at the Monrovia 25. 

It was a punt fest for the next 3 possessions, Linton once and the Bulldogs twice. Linton too over with 10:16 in the 2nd quarter at the Miner 35, and gained 9 on First Down with a strike from Gennicks to Webb (seeing his 1st action at WR with Riggleman out).  Drew Smith then pounded ahead for 12 and a first down, and another perfect strike from Gennicks to Poe on an out pattern gained 17.  The passing success led to more inside room, and Smith ahead for another physical run of 11 for a 1st Down at the Bulldog 21.  After a 1 yard Gennicks keep, it was a pitch to the right to Eslinger who broke five tackles enroute to a 20 yard TD run that put Linton on the board at 7:24 of the 2nd.   With Miller out as PAT kicker, Gennicks roll out pass/option was bottled up, and his pass for Breneman was knocked down.  It looked to be a defensive slobber knocker as the scoreboard read 8 to 6 in favor of the hometown Bulldogs.

Monrovia went back to ground and pound with Belcher on six of their next seven plays.  Belcher converted a 4th a 1 on a Wagner keeper behind his center Adam Bales to their own 39, but Eslinger was in on four tackles in the series the last being with Johns to stuff Belcher short of the 1st down marker.  Monrovia got a procedure call on 4th and 3, and thus Belcher punter, however it was a shank that would up at the Miner 37.  Linton lost 5 on a pitch left to Johns perfectly played by Byrnes.  Facing 3rd and 15 Gennicks tucked the ball and ran off tackle to the left, and literally ran over a Bulldog before Adam Bales and Hunter Leeds could twist his down at the Monrovia 33 yard line with a gain of 35.  Gennicks was forced to scramble on the next play, and shot themselves in the foot with a holding penalty spot foul that pushed the ball all the way back to the Miner 43.  With time a factor, Gennicks hit Webb again for a catch and run to the Bulldog 38.  Hunter Johns put another 11 yards in the books with a counter to the 2 but still needing 4 yards to move the chains.  Gennicks tried to hit Poe but Tkachuk put big hit on the Miner QB forcing and over throw, and a turnover on downs at the Bulldog 27.  Monrovia QB Wagner took a knee to end the half with the Miners trailing 8 to 6.

The halftime stats were heavy in Linton’s favor with a 171 to 87 total yard advantage.  The 2nd quarter alone was 130 to 23.  Of that 87 total was the one completed pass for 36 yards in the first possession of the game.  They had rushed for 51 yards on 20 carries, just 2.6 per touch.  Linton had run for 119 yards on 16 carries (7.4 per carry) and Gennicks was 4 of 10 for 52 yards passing.  3rd downs had not been pretty as Linton was 1 of 5, and unsuccessful twice on 4th down.  Monrovia was 2 of 6 on 3rd and 1 of 1 on 4th.  Gennicks had run for 64 yards on 6 carries for Linton, Belcher the workhorse for Monrovia with 53 on 13 carries, 36 of that in the opening quarter.  But for the 3rd consecutive game the Miners were behind or tied at the half, twice on the low side of the score.  Unlike Sullivan the week before, the Miner offense had moved the ball, and had seven first downs, but just six points on the board.

Linton started quarter three with a 3 yard loss, but followed with a leaping grab by Webb that set up 3rd and 5 at Linton 42.  Hunter Gennicks then took the shotgun snap, tucked the ball, paused, and ran behind the blocks of Nathan Watson, Cameron Goodman, and Wrigley Franklin for a run down the Miner sideline of 36 yards.  The play’s success also saw the downfield blocking of Webb, and the physicality of Gennicks refusing to go down.   Gennicks then hit Eslinger across the middle for a catch and run of 17 more to the Bulldog 5.  One play later Drew Smith pile drove into the Endzone for the Miner’s first lead of the game.  It marked the 3rd game in as many games that Linton scored on their 1st possession of the 2nd half.  The 2 point run was good but nullified on a penalty.  The replay was an incomplete pass, but Linton now lead 12-8.

Monrovia came out with runs by Camic and Kostrzewski to get to their own 45 with a 1st down.  Facing 3rd and 7, Wrigley Franklin got his hands on the pass from Wagner to Kostrzewski knocking it away, and forcing a Belcher punt.   From their own 31 would move 3 yards and face a 3rd and 7.  Once more it was Gennicks with a keeper on the left side battling through tacklers Eli Welch and Trenton Hale to get just enough to move the chains.  He would gain 8 more yards a couple plays later leaving a 3rd and 2 at the Bulldog 49.  If not for a nice play by Cole Petty knocking down a screen pass intended for Smith, Linton would have easily converted.  Instead, Coach Oliver played field position and Logan Webb punted to the Bulldog 22 with 5:19 left in the 3rd. 

The Miner defense continued their solid play with 3 plays going nowhere for Monrovia on tackles by Eslinger, Gennicks, Breneman and Franklin.  Then Monrovia suffered the play special teams coaches fear; the bad snap.   Belcher tried to field the snap that had bounced half way back to him, but it went through his legs back to the Bulldog 8.  He was mauled by Eslinger and Franklin at the 15 giving he Miners a huge chance to up their lead.   They almost got in on a pass from Gennicks to Poe that got to the 3 yards line, then it was Hunter Johns untouched into the endzone for an 18-8 lead at 2:36 of the 3rd quarter.  It would stay that margin on yet another failed 2 point conversion pass thru the air. 

Due to a personal foul call against Linton on the PAT, Webb’s kickoff was from Linton’s own 25, and a great return by Gavin Followell got to the Miner 18.  However a yellow flag at the Linton 41 pushed the Bulldogs back their own 44.  Linton would then pin their ears back and come after QB Eli Wagner.  First Johns blitzed from the back side and dragged Wagner down for a loss of 6, then Smith fought off blockers and dropped WB Kostrzewki for another 6 yards.  3rd and 22 saw Wagner again under pressure, Aiden Giles being one of them, and his pass across the middle was picked clean by Eli Poe near midfield, his 2nd of the year.   This put Linton at the Bulldog 45, which became the 24 after Johns took a counter left with great blocks from Lynn and Giles. From there Linton would grind down to the 12 but face a 4th and 10 in their early minutes of the 4th quarter.  Gennicks would look to pass but be forced to scramble, and in doing so broke five tackles on some side steps and jukes to make Tyler Meurer be proud.  He finished off the drive with a 1 yard dive, and connected with Eslinger in the back of the endzone for the 2 point conversion putting Linton up 26 to 8 with 9:40 left in the game. 

Down 18 points and time the enemy Monrovia was forced into a passing game they had not used thus far in 2021.  Wagner did his Gennicks impersonation with a keeper for 6, and then scrambled away from another Johns’ blitz for get 8 more and another 1st down at the Bulldog 36.  Facing 2nd and 10 it was Hunter Johns again with heavy pressure forcing Wagner out of the pocket, and with Wrigley Franklin in tow Wagner was dropped for a 9 yard loss.  Bracey Breneman got in the blitz act on 3rd and Indianapolis with pressure on Wagner, with senior CB Kaulin Padgett swatting down a long sideline pass for Followell.   Belcher would then punt to the Miner 38. 

Gennicks would use all of the play clock waiting to snap with 2 or 3 seconds left per play.  The Miners kept things on the ground with runs of 5 from Johns, 4 from Smith, and then a break-away to the right side from Gabe Eslinger that gained 34 yards to the Bulldog 15.  Once more the blocking of Jackson Lynn, Cameron Goodman and Wrigley Franklin made the play happen.  Hunter Johns scored his 2nd TD of the night from 14 yards out and again he was untouched on the counter left.  Eslinger bulled in for the 2pt play and Linton was on their way to win #3 with a 34-8 margin.  The remaining 3:58 consisted of a 3 and out that concluded with senior NT Jackson Fields sack of Wagner for 8 yards.  Linton would take three kneel downs to run out the clock.

Linton dominated the stat lines, starting with a 368 to 82 advantage in offensive production.  The 2nd half was bleak for Monrovia with the QB sack yardage while Linton rolled up 197 yards to (-5) for the Bulldogs.  Hunter Gennicks had this 3rd 100+ yard rushing game with 132 on 13 carries and a TD.  He accounted for nearly half of Linton’s 280 on the ground, but it was a solid night for Gabe Eslinger with 55 yards on 7 touches with a TD, Drew Smith 11 for 50 and a TD, and Hunter Johns 43 on 8 and 2 TDs.  The passing game hit for 88 yards on 7 of 17 passing from Gennicks. 3 of those went to Logan Webb for 33 yards, 2 to Eli Poe for 28 and 1 each to Drew Smith (10 yards) and Gabe Eslinger (17 yards).  Monrovia got 59 of their total 82 yards earned on their initial and only scoring drive of the night.  Soph Brayton Belcher carried the brunt of the work with 17 carries and 49 yards with a TD.  Todd Camic had 5 carries and 4 yards, Dustin Kostrzewski had -3 yards on 4 carries.  Eli Wagner finished off with -8 yards on 8 carries which included -23 yards on 3 sacks.  Total rushing for the Bulldogs was 42 on 34 carries, a 1.24 per carry average.  Wagner hit just twice on 9 pass attempts, 1 for 36 yards to Corbin Byrnes, and 1 for 4 yards to Hunter Leeds. 

It was the best defensive effort to date in a season of great defense already.  Linton has been stern against the run allowing just 2.2 per carry in these first three contests on 107 attempts and 235 rush yards. ILB Gabe Eslinger had a season high 16 tackles, 5 of these solo and most all first hits.  He was in on 4 TFL (2.5).  DE junior Aiden Giles had 8 tackles (1 TFL).  Wrigley Franklin had 5 tackles, and was in on a sack of Wagner.  He also had a tipped pass, as well as a knocked down pass.  Hunter Johns had 4 stops, 2 sacks, 3 QB Pressures.  Also with 4 tackles were Jackson Fields (1 sack), Jackson Lynn and Hunter Gennicks.  For the Bulldogs it was OLB’s Trenton Hale with12 tackles and Alex Scdoris with 11 to lead the way.  ILB Lennon Tkachuk harassed Gennicks with 4 hurries, and finished with 5 tackles and 1 TFL.  LB Nick Arnold with 7, and 6 from DT Adam Bales.             Webb filled in for the injured Jaydan Miller with 3 punts for 31.0 average, and handled kick-off duties with 5 for 41.0 avg.

Linton racked up 17 first downs to just 6 for Monrovia (3 of those on their initial possession).  Linton was hit with 6 penalties for 64 yards Monrovia 5 for 59.  Miner were 41.7% on 3rd down (5-12) Bulldogs just 18.2% (2-11). Linton 1-3 on 4th down, Monrovia 1-2.  Both teams were perfect in red zone (Linton 5-5, Monrovia 1-1). Linton has scored on 10 of 12 Red Zone appearances for the year.  Time of Possession about even: 24:59 to 23:01 for Linton.  39 of the Bulldogs 43 plays were snapped in their own territory.  6 of Monrovia’s 11 possessions were 3 and out, while Linton scored on 5 of their 11, and only had two three and outs. 

If there is one thing that is highly evident through three weeks, it is that this Miner defense is one of the better versions of recent years.  It is also evident that the success of the pass game, not necessarily making it a huge part of the game, but having the threat that makes defenses have to respect it…is another plus.  This team has big play ability with not only Hunter Gennicks, but with Johns and Eslinger at weeks both have big runs.  There have been 16 plays of 20+ Yards for the Miners, while giving up just 4.  There is quickness and speed, but also physicality with the strength of Drew Smith at FB, but also as seen with Eslinger and Gennicks, as well as Johns.  The offensive line has shone this season even while absorbing injury as well as quarantine issues.  Much of the success has to be attributed to the names Watson, Franklin, Lynn, Giles and Goodman in this game, but also DeBruhl, Gennicks (Hank) and Jackson.   Defensively the experience of the defensive backfield (Miller, Poe, Padgett, Riggleman, Gennicks and Webb) with a very good Linebacker corps (Eslinger, Breneman, Johns, Lynn, and Smith) with a talented quick group of down linemen (Giles, DeBruhl, Fields, and Franklin & Goodman) have the Miners confident.  If we can just hold down the injury bug and keep away from Covid issues, this is shaping up to be a standout season for the red and blue.