Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Pats cut Cam

temptation

I still go back to his interview with John Gruden. That was hard to watch. I distinctly remember one point when Gruden had a pass play on the screen against Oregon in the championship. Coach asked him what his key was on the play. He said well, coach told me to look left first then throw to the post route. Granted, it was obvious he did not have a deep understanding of the game, but guys have made it in the league without that (one of the funnier Brett Favre stories when Holmgren was breaking down the defense in a qb film session he says, you can see here they have an extra safety, so they are in nickel. He leans to Brunnell and says what does that mean?). I was a fan of his. I loved the personality, but admit it appears something is off in recent years. He is still an impressive athlete and can still make plays with some great throws or great speed.

The things that made him special had to do with athleticism, not skill. He was never a particularly accurate passer, but he had better running ability than Michael Vick because of his size. The designed QB run was a major part of his game. After he began to accumulate injuries, however, he became much less of a run threat, and teams were content to let him try to win from the pocket. He’s never been able to do that on a consistent basis. He’s maybe an average NFL backup from the pocket.