Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

James "JDub" Warren of Chatard HS

A belated reference to his passing.

James Edward “JDub” Warren passed away on February 22, 2019.  He was a Senior at Indiana State University when he was first diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma in September. 

He took part in 2 State Championship teams as a Lineman.  He could have played in college but chose not to do so.

Knowing him, he was just a wonderful kid who had a laugh for everyone…yet he was so much more than that.

It’s not my place to speak as to just how special he was..…or how hard he fought and how much his Mother and Father loved him…and fought with him, as well, until the end.

For those outside of the Chatard Community, I don’t think you will understand just how much so many people gathered round his family and just what they did.

He was a special kid.  As all in the football community here are…and those outside as well.

Chris Ballard (GM of the Indianapolis Colts) and Frank Reich (Indianapolis Colts) spent time at his bedside.  Frank Reich even came back a couple of days later and prayed with him for an hour at his bedside.

“JDub” wrote a letter to his friends and another to his mother in the sad anticipation of his passing.  It was  printed at the funeral but I will not post it here. 

It was inspirational and, yet, broke me to tears.  He cared so much for those of us yet living.

Perhaps the most seminal part of the funeral was when a coach and so many players there said the Chatard Prayer as they do before each game.  The prayer is not so much about victory as it is to bless all those on the field.

It was one of the most touching events I have seen in my life. 

This is a kid I knew. 

A special kid.

https://www.legacy.com/obituaries/indystar/obituary.aspx?pid=191654380

• Like 3
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

James Edward “JDub” Warren passed away on February 22, 2019.  He was a Senior at Indiana State University when he was first diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma in September. 

He took part in 2 State Championship teams as a Lineman.  He could have played in college but chose not to do so.

Knowing him, he was just a wonderful kid who had a laugh for everyone…yet he was so much more than that.

It’s not my place to speak as to just how special he was..…or how hard he fought and how much his Mother and Father loved him…and fought with him, as well, until the end.

For those outside of the Chatard Community, I don’t think you will understand just how much so many people gathered round his family and just what they did.

He was a special kid.  As all in the football community here are…and those outside as well.

Chris Ballard (GM of the Indianapolis Colts) and Frank Reich (Indianapolis Colts) spent time at his bedside.  Frank Reich even came back a couple of days later and prayed with him for an hour at his bedside.

“JDub” wrote a letter to his friends and another to his mother in the sad anticipation of his passing.  It was  printed at the funeral but I will not post it here. 

It was inspirational and, yet, broke me to tears.  He cared so much for those of us yet living.

Perhaps the most seminal part of the funeral was when a coach and so many players there said the Chatard Prayer as they do before each game.  The prayer is not so much about victory as it is to bless all those on the field.

This is a kid I knew. 

A special kid.

Thank you for sharing this Lysander, very cool. I say that prayer before each game, and I still hear Coach Shine saying it as I do. 

Prayers to the Warren family and the BC family. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Irishman said:

Thank you for sharing this Lysander, very cool. I say that prayer before each game, and I still hear Coach Shine saying it as I do. 

Prayers to the Warren family and the BC family. 

Thanks Irishman.  Coach Shine said the prayer at the funeral.  My guess is that so long as he lives only he can lead that prayer at Bishop Chatard.  When asked a few days earlier, Coach L simply stated that Coach Shine “says the prayer”.

My wife and I grew up in Southeast Indiana but our work life took us to Indy many years ago.  As the Catholic in the family she chose Bishop Chatard and the boys and I followed.  It’s a choice I have never regretted.

At the football banquets every year when they ask all who have played for Bishop  Chatard to step forward and then a prayer is said I choke up a bit.  The number of men standing is a long, long blue line going back over 50 years.  My wife and I have often looked at one another and mutually said that we could have only wished to be able to stand at an event like this.  

We take solace in the fact our sons can stand.  

• Like 2

On 3/30/2019 at 6:35 AM, Lysander said:

This is a kid I knew. 

A special kid.

Thanks for sharing.  What an inspirational story and reminder of family and what is really important.

• Thanks 1