Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Purdue 2021

Gipper

Someone in the other thread deserves a ton of credit for calling out Iowa and stating that their turnover luck would eventually run out.

Prophetic.

Just another example of the week to week roller coaster and overreaction of emotions that is college football.

I heard analysts all week talk about how the Iowa defense was “for real” and how they were true contenders…and then David Bell made them look like a pop Warner unit…AGAIN.

Dude has owned the Hawkeyes.  He should get his own statue outside of Kinnick.

Kirk Ferentz has been at Iowa for a long time and it seems they have a game or two like this every season.  The Hawkeye record is good under Ferentz but they've lost some games that make you scratch your head.  

the Boilermakers were solid and kicked their behinds yesterday.  It was no fluke.  They really BOILERED UP!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, PHJIrish said:

Kirk Ferentz has been at Iowa for a long time and it seems they have a game or two like this every season.  The Hawkeye record is good under Ferentz but they've lost some games that make you scratch your head.  

the Boilermakers were solid and kicked their behinds yesterday.  It was no fluke.  They really BOILERED UP!

Definitely not a fluke.  4 trap games in Wisconsin, Nebraska, Northwestern, and Indniana.  Probably not going to win in the Shoe and Sparty us a toss-up.

On 10/17/2021 at 11:49 AM, PHJIrish said:

U R spot on with Kirks tenure at Iowa, seems like every year they could be in the championship picture then boom,they  lose to a nobody and out of contention. 
I remember Purdue put an L on Ohio State a few years ago when the Buckeyes were 1 or 2 in the county. 

My neighbor is an Iowa grad from Sioux City. I haven't asked him yet if he brought back the beer I asked him to get me from a brewery I like in Iowa City. Wouldn't blame him if he dumped it on his way back. After that W I'm even more bitter about that awful loss to Minnesota. 

56 minutes ago, southend said:

U R spot on with Kirks tenure at Iowa, seems like every year they could be in the championship picture then boom,they  lose to a nobody and out of contention. 
I remember Purdue put an L on Ohio State a few years ago when the Buckeyes were 1 or 2 in the county. 

I remember the nickname Spoilermakers too.

4 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

Boilermakers = Jekyll & Hyde.

It is unbelievably frustrating to watch. Would have never thought in Year 5 Brohm still can’t develop a consistent QB or an O-Line that is worthy of being called a P5 level line. 

And of course my arch nemesis Row The Boat guy won another one by completely dominating the LOS and running the ball at will. Shame on me for thinking Purdue got the better hire 5 years ago when Minny also hit the market for a coach. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

It is unbelievably frustrating to watch. Would have never thought in Year 5 Brohm still can’t develop a consistent QB or an O-Line that is worthy of being called a P5 level line. 

And of course my arch nemesis Row The Boat guy won another one by completely dominating the LOS and running the ball at will. Shame on me for thinking Purdue got the better hire 5 years ago when Minny also hit the market for a coach. 

Agree here, fluke win last week. Back to go. 

I will disagree with others on here. I still think in the long run, Brohm may be the better hire. At the time, I wanted Fleck over everyone else, but his shtick really wears thin with me and I'm glad we aren't rowing boats all over the place. I think Brohm has had to adapt and adjust through his time, but I think he is doing just that. Don't forget the mess this program was in when he arrived. PJ took over a winning program. Brohm took over a dumpster fire that he had to practically rebuild from scratch. As frustrated as we are at this point, we still have a shot at a bowl game and will return a whole lot for next year. The recruiting has been solid all along. Purdue has never been much of a football school outside of a few coaches. If Brohm can consistently have us competing for bowls, that is more than most have done in history. A complete reset of the program at this point would be foolish. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, southend said:

I agree here. This is not a “ get rid of the coach” conversation. It’s just venting about the coaching. How can they be so extreme! ?Man handle Iowa , then lay an egg. 

As a lifelong Boiler fan, I wasn't shocked in the least bit.  Iowa has virtually no offense, while UW always seems to unleash a tailback (this time it was 2) who does the(improving in this case) Boiler D in.   Offense is way too inconsistent and commits way too many turnovers.   Interesting and daunting schedule is in front of CJB and the boys.  Bowl game?  Possibly, but a lot of issues need to be addressed.

This game reminds me of 1999 and a game I attended as a Junior at Purdue. Michigan State, under Nick Saban, was coming off a huge win over Michigan and rolled into West Lafayette with an undefeated record. Brees lit Michigan State up with 509 passing yards and 5 TD's while Purdue beat the Spartans 52-28. 

Let's hope Brohm can rekindle the Tiller / Cheney offensive magic and the Boilers can pull off another upset at home. Going to be tough keeping Walker out of the endzone. 

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

This game reminds me of 1999 and a game I attended as a Junior at Purdue. Michigan State, under Nick Saban, was coming off a huge win over Michigan and rolled into West Lafayette with an undefeated record. Brees lit Michigan State up with 509 passing yards and 5 TD's while Purdue beat the Spartans 52-28. 

Let's hope Brohm can rekindle the Tiller / Cheney offensive magic and the Boilers can pull off another upset at home. Going to be tough keeping Walker out of the endzone. 

I could totally see this happening.  The oddsmakers STILL don't believe in the Spartans, evidenced by them only being 3 point favorites on Saturday.

On 11/1/2021 at 11:45 AM, temptation said:

I could totally see this happening.  The oddsmakers STILL don't believe in the Spartans, evidenced by them only being 3 point favorites on Saturday.

I believe they should be ranked ahead of Oklahoma, but that's about it. Michigan State will finish the season 10-2, so no need to think playoffs here. I'd like to see them play Oklahoma in a a New Years Six game. 

Edited by BTF
Additional wording

On 11/1/2021 at 9:54 AM, Boilernation said:

Remember that game well.  For my money, that was the most electric I remember Ross-Ade in the Tiller era.  Pretty sure it was homecoming and Mellencamp had a concert that night after the game in Elliott.