Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Purdue 2021

Gipper

4 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

Spoilermakers 40, #3 Michigan State 29.  Lee Corso is probably having another shot of Metamucil because he predicted this.

Wasn’t all that surprised.  Ohio State underwhelmed…again.  Although they won’t be in the top 5 next week, this a very winnable game for the Boilers.

The Boilers are bowl eligible!!!  Here are some Gipperjections:

6-6 record (not very likely): Quick Lane or Pinstripe 

7-5 (still not feeling it):  Duke’s Mayo or Music City

8-4 (most likely): Las Vegas or Outback

9-3 (you never know): Citrus or Rose

Edited by Gipper
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Gipper said:

The Boilers are bowl eligible!!!  Here are some Gipperjections:

6-6 record (not very likely): Quick Lane or Pinstripe 

7-5 (still not feeling it):  Duke’s Mayo or Music City

8-4 (most likely): Las Vegas or Outback

9-3 (you never know): Citrus or Rose

With these, I don’t know if I should go or not:

2000 Outback Bowl—lost to Georgia

2001 Rose Bowl—lost to Washington 

Then again, if Purdue gets a bid from the Las Vegas bowl, I’m probably going because A) Vegas, baby and B) I would love to see a game in Allegiant Stadium.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HHF said:

Brohm would be wise to parlay his success this season into a jump to the NFL.  

Well , you maybe on to something here. 
Brohm has been up and down at Purdue, but he may be righting the ship? But Does he have NFL ambitions? Purdue is like Indiana, for prospective coaches, a tough job to take. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, HHF said:

Brohm would be wise to parlay his success this season into a jump to the NFL.  

I wonder about this too. Or another college program

2 hours ago, southend said:

Well , you maybe on to something here. 
Brohm has been up and down at Purdue, but he may be righting the ship? But Does he have NFL ambitions? Purdue is like Indiana, for prospective coaches, a tough job to take. 

Good question, and would the nfl be interested in him I wonder….

17 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

Both very good questions.  As for other college jobs, I could see at least LSU, USC, and probably Nebraska now looking at him.  As for the NFL, I think the position of Offensive Coordinator would better suit him.  As for Purdue, just keep Brad Lambert and Mark Hagen should Brohm bolt.

28 minutes ago, WolvesOnTheProwl said:

I've always viewed Brohm as more of a pro style coach than a college coach, mainly because of his offensive mindset and his ability to develop QBs.  That is the most highly sought after commodity in the NFL.  

24 minutes ago, southend said:

Anything changed?

Just a few.  I also expect them to proudly wear the Big 10 decal on their jerseys for the bowl game.  I’ll be the first to admit I want a New Year’s Day game, but I’m cool with anywhere they go really.  Case in point: Vegas Bowl, 12/30.

Edited by Gipper
  • Haha 1

On 11/1/2021 at 8:54 AM, Boilernation said:

This game reminds me of 1999 and a game I attended as a Junior at Purdue. Michigan State, under Nick Saban, was coming off a huge win over Michigan and rolled into West Lafayette with an undefeated record. Brees lit Michigan State up with 509 passing yards and 5 TD's while Purdue beat the Spartans 52-28. 

Let's hope Brohm can rekindle the Tiller / Cheney offensive magic and the Boilers can pull off another upset at home. Going to be tough keeping Walker out of the endzone. 

Sophomore year for this guy,  what a day 

Hats off to the defense yet again, playing so well, 3rd down conversions were unbelievable.   

Why did it have to be a monsoon when Minnesota rolled into town.  

1 hour ago, Coach Nowlin said:

Sophomore year for this guy,  what a day 

Hats off to the defense yet again, playing so well, 3rd down conversions were unbelievable.   

Why did it have to be a monsoon when Minnesota rolled into town.  

Haha. Even while enjoying that offensive explosion and big W, the classic Boiler in me was still getting salty about that Minnesota game. This team is it's frustrated moments, but they are fun to watch when they're on. I'm really looking forward to seeing how high Bell goes in the NFL Draft. Is a potential 1st rounder? I can't tell if I'm being a homer or it's a legit possibility.

I think some of you guys might be more bullish on Brohm that I am. I don't see how he can do better than Purdue. It's going to be tough sledding for an AD at a school like USC, LSU, etc., to sell their rabid doners on a coach with an average at best record at Purdue. I can't see him leaving Purdue just to go to a 2nd Tier School in another Conference. I've always thought the threat to Purdue would be if left to take a QB Coaching job in the NFL. That seems like it would be an ideal NFL job for him. 

He does have 2 kids who are in either the Harrison or West Lafayette School District. All stories indicate his family really loves it in West Lafayette. Maybe he would hold off on the NFL until his kids are at least out of school.

9 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Haha. Even while enjoying that offensive explosion and big W, the classic Boiler in me was still getting salty about that Minnesota game. This team is it's frustrated moments, but they are fun to watch when they're on. I'm really looking forward to seeing how high Bell goes in the NFL Draft. Is a potential 1st rounder? I can't tell if I'm being a homer or it's a legit possibility.

I think some of you guys might be more bullish on Brohm that I am. I don't see how he can do better than Purdue. It's going to be tough sledding for an AD at a school like USC, LSU, etc., to sell their rabid doners on a coach with an average at best record at Purdue. I can't see him leaving Purdue just to go to a 2nd Tier School in another Conference. I've always thought the threat to Purdue would be if left to take a QB Coaching job in the NFL. That seems like it would be an ideal NFL job for him. 

He does have 2 kids who are in either the Harrison or West Lafayette School District. All stories indicate his family really loves it in West Lafayette. Maybe he would hold off on the NFL until his kids are at least out of school.

You are absolutely right.  LSU is just 2 years removed from a National Championship and they have no tolerance for mediocrity.  If Brohm has a season or even a few bad games there, he could easily find himself unemployed.  

I guess I'm not seeing the opportunities for Brohm that others see him getting, or maybe hope he gets.

At this point, he's getting paid something like 4.4 million a year at Purdue which is like 25th in the country and 8th or so in the Big Ten.  He parlayed success in his first two seasons to big raises but struggled the next two seasons.  Now I think he's a good coach, but is another P5 program going to throw 5 million plus at him based on his track record at Purdue so far?  I wouldn't think so at this point.  As for him developing QB's, I'd say he's yet to finish a season at Purdue with the same QB he started with.

I like Brohm and I think he's a good fit at Purdue.  He makes sense here and I think that's why I was ok with overpaying to keep him 3 years ago.  In the 3 years since he got his last bump, his pay has slowly moved back down into a reasonable range.  13 of the 14 Big Ten coaches make at least 4 million a year now so his salary fits into that range.  I have a hard time seeing that another P5 program that is capable of offering him 5 million or more a year would willing to target him at that price at this point.  And, even if one did, Purdue may be willing to match up to a certain point.  

The NFL is a different discussion.  I don't know if he would prefer that to a college job or not.  In some ways I think he might.  However, not all NFL coaches are paid as much as Brohm makes at Purdue.  So how lucrative of an offer does an NFL team make to someone with his track record?  You never know because it only takes one GM with a high opinion of him to throw a huge offer out there, but it would seem to be a stretch right now.  

One last thing to consider.  Look at Purdue's schedule next season.  It sets up pretty well for them and he is scheduled to return much of his talent.  He probably loses Bell and Karlaftis to the NFL but I'm betting AOC is back at QB along with many other starters.  He's finally got a good defensive staff in place and is recruiting some depth that he lacked when he arrived at Purdue.  He has Brady Allen and Joe Strickland line up for this upcoming recruiting class and I think he's poised to leapfrog back in front of IU in the recruiting pecking order in the state.  I think he's finally getting his program up and running.  Even if he is looking to move along to another destination at some point, he might be in a much better position in another year than he is now.  

10 hours ago, Gipper said:

Good for you, seriously.  I’m not blind, it can do much more harm than good.  Just keep on keeping on.

My cardiologist told me if I didn't stop drinking, I was gonna die.  Not a tough choice there.  I was told to give up caffeine too, and that was tougher than alcohol to quit.

Edited by PHJIrish
  • Thanks 1