Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Purdue 2021

Gipper

7 hours ago, XStar said:

I guess I'm not seeing the opportunities for Brohm that others see him getting, or maybe hope he gets.

As for him developing QB's, I'd say he's yet to finish a season at Purdue with the same QB he started with.

The NFL is a different discussion.  I don't know if he would prefer that to a college job or not.  In some ways I think he might.  However, not all NFL coaches are paid as much as Brohm makes at Purdue.  So how lucrative of an offer does an NFL team make to someone with his track record?  

I think he's finally getting his program up and running.  Even if he is looking to move along to another destination at some point, he might be in a much better position in another year than he is now.  

Good points. My thoughts: 

• I am surprised in Year 5 that he still is shuffling QB's. Looking at this year, I think he really wanted Plummer to be the guy with his athleticism and finally gave in to the realization that AOC can throw the ball around despite having the mobility of a stone statute. I think Brady Allen is a litmus test type of recruit. At some point Brohm needs to bring a good QB in and develop him into the program QB. Allen is 6'5. I beieve he has some athletic ability. A lot of well established programs wanted him. It's time for Brohm to put his mark on the QB position.
  • I don't see any possible way he makes the jump to the NFL as a HC. Not succesfull enough at the college level and doesn't have the knowledge of an innovative offense (Cliff Kingsbury) that an NFL team wants to tap into. So, if his transition is as a QB Coach or maybe even an OC, I have really have no idea how those positions payout vs. a Big Ten HC job. 
  • This. I'm hopeful he truly has turned the corner and the program is up and running. And I'm hoping he has no interest in leaving West Lafayette. As I said before, he and his family supposedly love West Lafayette. Brohm has been on record before saying he likes the challenge of trying to win big at Purdue and it would be more special than at a powerhouse program that's accustomed to winning big.
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, PHJIrish said:

My cardiologist told me if I didn't stop drinking, I was gonna die.  Not a tough choice there.  I was told to give up caffeine too, and that was tougher than alcohol to quit.

Best of luck, my friend.

• Like 1

Drumming up some interest: Boilermaker coach making a name for himself with upsets: https://deadspin.com/drumming-up-some-interest-boilermaker-coach-making-a-n-1848025516

Outside of Ohio State, it’s hard to definitively say what’s real and what’s Iowa in the Big 10. The conference has had six teams ranked in the top 10 — Penn State twice, Iowa twice, Michigan and Michigan State — lose over the past five weeks. Two of those six upsets have come at (and due to) the hands of David Bell and Purdue.

This isn’t a Bell appreciation post, though it could be after you catch 22 passes for 447 yards total in two wins against top-3 opponents. This is about head coach Jeff Brohm, who is 6-3 this season and has his team ranked going into Columbus this weekend.

If that sounds like a lead up to a puff piece about how Brohm is an underrated coach and should be a candidate for a vacancy at a big time school, you’re goddamn right it is. I say that because after suffering through a decade of Big 10 football — the 10 a.m. starts, the 9-6 finals, the “O-H-I-O” chants — I know two things: the Buckeyes are the Bama of the Big 10, and Jeff Brohm can coach.

His overall record at Purdue (25-28) is most likely the reason USC isn’t considering him. Well, that, and I think people view Purdue with the same system-slant they view Texas Tech, only it’s the Drew Brees effect instead of the Mike Leach effect.

However, if you look at what Brohm has done beyond the record, you’ll see a coach who has developed talent when he’s been able to get it — rookie wide receiver Rondale Moore has shown flashes in the NFL this season, and defensive lineman George Karlaftis and the aforementioned Bell will get a chance to, as well. Brohm has beaten more top five opponents (3) than actual USC candidate James Franklin (1) and beaten them handily (113-56 point differential over those three wins), and generally scares the shit out of me when Nebraska plays the Boilermakers. If you’re looking for pregame pep rants, he’s got those covered, too.

Winning at Purdue is hard and recruiting at Purdue may be even harder, so imagine what Brohm could do with USC-level talent. When you can make O’Connell and David Blough look like Drew Brees for any amount of time, and Rondale look like Steve Smith Sr. during his Boilermaker time, I trust you to be a lot more creative than Franklin.

If you showed USC faithful film of Trace McSorley and Sean Clifford, they would have an allergic reaction. He couldn’t even get Saquon Barkley to the Heisman ceremony.

From an aesthetic point of view, hiring Franklin to come run USC would be like Brazil hiring José Mourinho to coach their national team. Similar to Samba fanatics getting mad when their team doesn’t win beautifully, the Trojan fanbase wants to win and make cell phone flashes pop in the process.

An introductory news conference featuring Franklin would have more buzz, more media and more sound bytes, but the on-field product would be more Big 10. Brohm would be a massive swing — and probably one another team will take.

If the Boilermakers defeat OSU this Saturday will this be Mr. Brohm's last season in West Lafayette?

3 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Drumming up some interest: Boilermaker coach making a name for himself with upsets: https://deadspin.com/drumming-up-some-interest-boilermaker-coach-making-a-n-1848025516

If the Boilermakers defeat OSU this Saturday will this be Mr. Brohm's last season in West Lafayette?

Depends on who wants him and what he wants.  He could be Purdue's coach for the next 20 years and if all he does is go to bowls and beat IU 3/4 of the time he will never be in danger of getting fired.  Winning the Big Ten West or the BTCG would make him a legend.  If he wants to put himself in a better position to chase a national championship and someone like Florida comes calling, he probably would take it.  It really depends on what he wants.  I don't think anyone is going to offer him a salary Purdue can't match.  He's already 26th in the country.  If Purdue wanted to bump him up a little more they could.  Is someone willing to throw a top-10 type salary at him based on this season?  I doubt it.  

31 minutes ago, XStar said:

Depends on who wants him and what he wants.  He could be Purdue's coach for the next 20 years and if all he does is go to bowls and beat IU 3/4 of the time he will never be in danger of getting fired.  Winning the Big Ten West or the BTCG would make him a legend.  If he wants to put himself in a better position to chase a national championship and someone like Florida comes calling, he probably would take it.  It really depends on what he wants.  I don't think anyone is going to offer him a salary Purdue can't match.  He's already 26th in the country.  If Purdue wanted to bump him up a little more they could.  Is someone willing to throw a top-10 type salary at him based on this season?  I doubt it.  

Here we go...again!   

4 hours ago, Muda69 said:

Taking NOTHING away from Purdue, but I think by season’s end, both Iowa and Michigan State will have been exposed as pretenders (still good wins)…

OSU is an entirely different animal.  I see Purdue putting up points, but not nearly enough.

40 minutes ago, temptation said:

Taking NOTHING away from Purdue, but I think by season’s end, both Iowa and Michigan State will have been exposed as pretenders (still good wins)…

OSU is an entirely different animal.  I see Purdue putting up points, but not nearly enough.

Iowa didn't have much of an offense...and it showed.

Michigan State didn't have much of a pass defense...and it showed.

Ohio State has both.  Although Stroud can be shaky, they have great WRs and decent running backs.  I also fear their defense and just hope Purdue keeps it respectable.

On 11/10/2021 at 3:31 PM, XStar said:

That sounds like you're describing a certain head coach from Iowa,. Ferentz fits all the description in your 2nd and 3rd sentence.

13 hours ago, PHJIrish said:

That sounds like you're describing a certain head coach from Iowa,. Ferentz fits all the description in your 2nd and 3rd sentence.

Him.  Alvarez.  Fitzgerald.  Even Tiller.  All had opportunities to move on from their Big Ten program and chose to stay.  I can't say I know what's important to Coach Brohm, but I do know he's already turned down opportunities to leave for Tennessee and Louisville (alma mater) to stay at Purdue.  Those aren't national powers but both had some appeal I'm sure.

Last I knew, their family still maintains a home in Louisville and his parents still live there as well.  It was where he grew up.  I think staying close to Louisville is important to him as well which I think is an advantage for Purdue in keeping him compared to all but a handful of programs, a couple of which he's already been pursued by.

On 11/10/2021 at 5:03 PM, Gipper said:

Iowa didn't have much of an offense...and it showed.

Michigan State didn't have much of a pass defense...and it showed.

Ohio State has both.  Although Stroud can be shaky, they have great WRs and decent running backs.  I also fear their defense and just hope Purdue keeps it respectable.

Ohio State's passing defense isn't exactly a strength.  Middle of the pack in the BIg Ten.  But, to your point, better than MSU.  

Still, they are on a 24-game Big Ten winning streak for a reason (Purdue in 2018 was their last conference loss).  It would be a very big upset for Purdue to go to Columbus and win.  That hasn't happened since John Cooper was patrolling the sidelines for Ohio State.

But Purdue is playing with house money in this one.  If Ohio State gives them an opening, AOC can get hot and the Purdue defense is salty this year.  It could be a game if OSU isn't on top of things.  If they are, they can blow out most teams in the country at home.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, XStar said:

Ohio State's passing defense isn't exactly a strength.  Middle of the pack in the BIg Ten.  But, to your point, better than MSU.  

Still, they are on a 24-game Big Ten winning streak for a reason (Purdue in 2018 was their last conference loss).  It would be a very big upset for Purdue to go to Columbus and win.  That hasn't happened since John Cooper was patrolling the sidelines for Ohio State.

But Purdue is playing with house money in this one.  If Ohio State gives them an opening, AOC can get hot and the Purdue defense is salty this year.  It could be a game if OSU isn't on top of things.  If they are, they can blow out most teams in the country at home.  

Well put.  I understand that if he shut David Bell down, there goes Purdue's passing game.  Nothing could be further from the truth as Anthrop, Durham, Miller, Wright, and many more are more than able.  I've seen the Bucks play a few times this season, and they can be very sloppy.  They'll have to earn this win as much (if not more) as Purdue does.

On 9/20/2021 at 12:17 AM, Staxawax said:

OK. You've given me that Sunday night chuckle. 

Minny, Wisconsin, MSU.... All decisive losses. Nebraska is a tossup. IU is a tossup right now, but that may turn to a heavy IU lean in a few weeks.

Who’s chuckling now?

D2F4EE5D-E75A-40FD-B986-E274045B1085.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1