Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Is the spread style offensive make teams soft

I was curious to what others opinions on this is.   In my opinion itis a yes if your school coach runs this system and has it at all levels I believe kids get use to that style of play.  So when you play a team that is the old 3 yards and a cloud of dust mind set.  They have issues with the more physical part and pound of ever play getting hit at full speed 

Edited by Trojanmp52

I don’t like the word “soft,” since to me it implies less than 100% effort, and I wouldn’t accuse someone of that just because of the style of their offense. But there is no doubt that the game has changed dramatically. It’s now much more of a scheme, matchup, one on one game than ever before. Now, it’s all about getting the ball to players in space, so they can make a big play. Reminds me a lot of MLB these days, where record numbers of homers are being hit … along with record numbers of strikeouts. Both football and baseball now live by the big play. I halfway think that the reason is our video game, internet, text message, social media culture simply lacks the patience, and the attention span, to be effective at doing it the old way.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bobref said:

I don’t like the word “soft,” since to me it implies less than 100% effort, and I wouldn’t accuse someone of that just because of the style of their offense. But there is no doubt that the game has changed dramatically. It’s now much more of a scheme, matchup, one on one game than ever before. Now, it’s all about getting the ball to players in space, so they can make a big play. Reminds me a lot of MLB these days, where record numbers of homers are being hit … along with record numbers of strikeouts. Both football and baseball now live by the big play. I halfway think that the reason is our video game, internet, text message, social media culture simply lacks the patience, and the attention span, to be effective at doing it the old way.

Without a doubt. It's just the mind set that kids grow up with. Not necessarily a bad thing but just the way it is. 

5 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

I was curious to what others opinions on this is.   In my opinion itis a yes if your school coach runs this system and has it at all levels I believe kids get use to that style of play.  So when you play a team that is the old 3 yards and a cloud of dust mind set.  They have issues with the more physical part and pound of ever play getting hit at full speed 

A simple answer is yes it has. But the game overall has drastically moved away from the uber physical days at every level just in the past 10-15 years. And I don't think that's a bad thing because it places a bigger emphasis on speed over size, which I think is great for high school football. 

But regardless of system..if you don't dedicate adequate time to developing your O-line it doesn't matter.  Some teams try to cover up a bad OL with their skill players and it ultimately catches up to them.

16 hours ago, Trojanmp52 said:

10 hours ago, SEAL_63 said:

A simple answer is yes it has. But the game overall has drastically moved away from the uber physical days at every level just in the past 10-15 years. And I don't think that's a bad thing because it places a bigger emphasis on speed over size, which I think is great for high school football. 

But regardless of system..if you don't dedicate adequate time to developing your O-line it doesn't matter.  Some teams try to cover up a bad OL with their skill players and it ultimately catches up to them.

As a former youth coach ... just retired after 18 seasons ... I have typically built my teams around running the ball as priority one.  I was explaining to a kid the other day about boxing and telling him how it is certainly possible to knock a guy out with the first punch, but that tends to be rare.  Instead, good boxers will use the body shots ... the traditional run game ... to either open up / set up the head shot, wear down an opponent, or both.  I always had my lines practice the run against a 6-man defensive line to really work the ability to work the run.  Yes, we had a passing game as well, but ultimately it wasn't unboxed until we mastered the run.  It also made it easier to get more kids involved/active in the game at that youth level.  If it's about the spread, when you are dealing with 10 year-olds, there are only a handful of fast kids who can throw and catch.  With the run game, we needed 11 bodies doing work every play and so, I could get the kids who weren't yet fast or quick or good with their hands or who had weak arms or were less than graceful or the big guys involved in the game and keep them interested until their bodies caught up with their interest in the game.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Bobref said:

I would agree I'm not sure "soft" is correct term. Also would agree our culture as a whole is to blame for this. This generation knows nothing but instant gratification with buy online get it next day or world of info at tips of fingers. This type of culture had hurt the ground and pound of having patience to beat your opponents will to win. That is why we are seeing more teams like Eastbrook in 2A have success with all the other coaches trying what they see in the pros. It is also hard to get kids to play to ground and pound because all they see is the finess of spread at pro and college level. Hard to idealize or imitate what you never know exists. I do think we will see a cultural shift since D fences have gotten smaller and quicker to accommodate for pass offense. Offenses will "MAKE FULLBACKS GREAT AGAIN"! 

The Spread is the natural response to a few big programs hoarding talent and ramming it down ur throat...  in order for less talented programs to compete.. they had to find a way to isolate thier playmakers thus lessing the impact of being outmanned.... ie Basketball on Grass..... the roots having nothing to do w the vidio game culure...  jmho

• Like 1

On 9/5/2021 at 5:48 PM, Trojanmp52 said:

Having seen some physical football teams play the spread. I say no.

Not soft per se..need to have toughness to score from one yd out..usually the defense takes care of the grit work..after all..defense wins championships while offense wins games..seriously though..to make a deep playoff run in indiana the offense will need to run the ball in high level games.. bubble screens will only get u so far in the rain n snow..