Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Should Cathedral buyArlington football field

57 minutes ago, Trojanmp52 said:

Should IPS sell the football field to Cathedral I do not if this is even possible.  I would think it would be better on both side if they could

There would have to be a 3rd party involved. Years ago, I was teaching in an inner city Catholic school in Indy. And IPS school had closed in the neighborhood, and the Diocese explored options for buying the building. It eventually happened. I am going to guess though is there would be a hang up as far as zoning. The whole lot at the Arlington site would be zoned as one lot and a school lot at that. Not sure they could sell a portion of that. 

If possible, it does make sense though. 

On a side note, my thought YEARS ago was the strip mall on the other side of Fall Creek Rd to the West of the Cathedral campus would be a great spot for a stadium. I am not sure what businesses are still there at this time. I know O'Malia's Market was the anchor way back when. 

8 minutes ago, Irishman said:

There would have to be a 3rd party involved. Years ago, I was teaching in an inner city Catholic school in Indy. And IPS school had closed in the neighborhood, and the Diocese explored options for buying the building. It eventually happened. I am going to guess though is there would be a hang up as far as zoning. The whole lot at the Arlington site would be zoned as one lot and a school lot at that. Not sure they could sell a portion of that. 

If possible, it does make sense though. 

On a side note, my thought YEARS ago was the strip mall on the other side of Fall Creek Rd to the West of the Cathedral campus would be a great spot for a stadium. I am not sure what businesses are still there at this time. I know O'Malia's Market was the anchor way back when. 

That shopping mall is quite full including a Walmart neighborhood market.

I don't have any insight into the dealings with the Arlington field, but I would imagine it would include some dealing with IPS.  The situation is now OK as some Cathedral alumni have pitched in to keep the field playable.  It would be ideal for Cathedral to be able to own the field and cover it with field turf, but for now it's not a bad situation.

5 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Thanks, I just saw a school next to the field on Google Maps and was just wondering 

Correcting myself. IT looks like Tindley moved out of there and is further East. The map has Arlington Middle School and Thrival Indy Academy. Maybe the middle schools still plays there? Maybe Tindley still uses the Arlington field?  I do know Tindley started on the Arlington campus. The charter schools seem to move a lot. 

5 minutes ago, Irishman said:

Correcting myself. IT looks like Tindley moved out of there and is further East. The map has Arlington Middle School and Thrival Indy Academy. Maybe the middle schools still plays there? 

I think AMS still plays there, judging by the photos and their website 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Irishman said:

That parcel was always problematic.  RV Welch built that office building fronting Emerson (might have actually been his first office project) and the lower level and elevators in that building were always underwater.   Add that most all of that parking lot was notorious for flooding back in the day. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Jon said:

Was playing at Arlington part of the  reason Carmel drop there game with Cathedral this year.

I don’t think they’ve played in the last 10 years.  The last time they played it was most likely that any Cathedral “Home” game would have been at Tech.

12 hours ago, Jon said:

Was playing at Arlington part of the  reason Carmel drop there game with Cathedral this year.

Ha. No. Carmel only agrees to a 1 year contract every few years as a measuring stick game. They've never played us at home. 

When they lose by 4 touchdowns like last year, they run for the hills and attribute the defeat to competitive imbalance though they have 2000 boys compared to Cathedral's 500. Roncalli and Carmel are the two programs that begged out of a great rivalry series so they didn't have to be butt hurt. Roncalli finally sacked up and re-engaged.Should be an awesome new beginning in 2023-24

As for home field, it has been discussed for decades. Most of our coaches and ADs prefer always "playing on the road" to be battle tested come the playoffs. 

Cathedral bought a sports park called Burnett Park at 50th and Mitthofer on the east side. It hosts baseball, soccer, softball, lacrosse, and has the acreage to potentially build a football stadium. 

I personally love Arlington. 4 decades of CHS football. An unfriendly atmosphere. Natural grass with a domed field. A soggy west end zone in a rainstorm. And, echoes of CHS legends rising from all corners. 

57 minutes ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Ha. No. Carmel only agrees to a 1 year contract every few years as a measuring stick game. They've never played us at home. 

When they lose by 4 touchdowns like last year, they run for the hills and attribute the defeat to competitive imbalance though they have 2000 boys compared to Cathedral's 500. Roncalli and Carmel are the two programs that begged out of a great rivalry series so they didn't have to be butt hurt. Roncalli finally sacked up and re-engaged.Should be an awesome new beginning in 2023-24

I couldnt have said that better myself!

1 hour ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Carmel and Cathedral played every year from 2005-2010. The series was tied 3-3. There was only the one other meeting in 2020 since 2010, and none before 2005 going back to 1994, so I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but it isn't correct. Except for "They've never played us at home."

Edited by gonzoron

2 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

Cathedral bought a sports park called Burnett Park at 50th and Mitthofer on the east side. It hosts baseball, soccer, softball, lacrosse, and has the acreage to potentially build a football stadium. 

Nice park area, tons of space to add an Football Stadium, though parking might be an issue. Distance was doesn’t look bad at all in my opinion, only like a 10 minute drive from Cathedral. A stadium there could work 

Edited by TigerFan20

5 minutes ago, TigerFan20 said:

Nice park area, tons of space to add an Football Stadium, though parking might be an issue. Distance was doesn’t look bad at all in my opinion, only like a 10 minute drive from Cathedral. A stadium there could work 

Stadium there won't happen, not even on the radar.  The next big expansion projects are for dedicated basketball gym and church/chapel on campus.  That is at least 5-7 years away if not longer.  

brunetteparkcampaigninitiatives.jpg

Just now, Dave007 said:

Stadium there won't happen, not even on the radar.  The next big expansion projects are for dedicated basketball gym and church/chapel on campus.  That is at least 5-7 years away if not longer.  

brunetteparkcampaigninitiatives.jpg

Sorry - forgot to cite the above photo is Brunette Park

2 hours ago, IndianaWrestlingGuy said:

As for home field, it has been discussed for decades. Most of our coaches and ADs prefer always "playing on the road" to be battle tested come the playoffs. 

I personally love Arlington. 4 decades of CHS football. An unfriendly atmosphere. Natural grass with a domed field. A soggy west end zone in a rainstorm. And, echoes of CHS legends rising from all corners. 

I think that could have also been written as "Natural grass with a doomed field." 😀

• Like 1

21 hours ago, gonzoron said:

Carmel and Cathedral played every year from 2005-2010. The series was tied 3-3. There was only the one other meeting in 2020 since 2010, and none before 2005 going back to 1994, so I'm not sure where you're getting your information, but it isn't correct. Except for "They've never played us at home."

Pretty positive all those games were at Carmel...

If they want to. Not sure IPS wants to sell. After all, we've seen former high schools that became middle schools be resurrected into high schools again. 

Attucks closed as a high school and came back

Shortridge closed as a high school and came back

Washington closed as a high school and came back

Marshall closed as a high school, came back, then closed again

Northwest and Arlington are middle schools now, but a different administration and different financial priorities might make those buildings reopen again in the future.

The only one I don't ever see possibly coming back is sadly Broad Ripple (where my dad was assistant principal for 18 years). I think that property is a gold mine for IPS.

Edited by BDGiant93

22 hours ago, BDGiant93 said:

If they want to. Not sure IPS wants to sell. After all, we've seen former high schools that became middle schools be resurrected into high schools again. 

Attucks closed as a high school and came back

Shortridge closed as a high school and came back

Washington closed as a high school and came back

Marshall closed as a high school, came back, then closed again

Northwest and Arlington are middle schools now, but a different administration and different financial priorities might make those buildings reopen again in the future.

The only one I don't ever see possibly coming back is sadly Broad Ripple (where my dad was assistant principal for 18 years). I think that property is a gold mine for IPS.

I love the architecture of Howe High School.  Can you foresee that school return?

I know its a little further away...but would it be a playing option for Cathedral?