Jump to content

Can we do away with preseason polls?


temptation
 Share

Recommended Posts

Wait until we’ve seen a month worth of action and release the first college football poll the first Monday in October.

Offseason perceptions and projections of teams (which is nearly impossible after the year that was 2020) play too large of a role in these “rankings.”

Case in point:  How many times do we have to see Oklahoma trot out a JV defense before we realize they are not an elite outfit?  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, temptation said:

Wait until we’ve seen a month worth of action and release the first college football poll the first Monday in October.

Offseason perceptions and projections of teams (which is nearly impossible after the year that was 2020) play too large of a role in these “rankings.”

Case in point:  How many times do we have to see Oklahoma trot out a JV defense before we realize they are not an elite outfit?  

Yet Oklahoma is still perceived to be the top football program behind Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State. It's a head scratcher to me.

At least college polls make some kind of sense. If I'm doing away with anything, it's the high school poll.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, BTF said:

Yet Oklahoma is still perceived to be the top football program behind Alabama, Clemson, and Ohio State. It's a head scratcher to me.

At least college polls make some kind of sense. If I'm doing away with anything, it's the high school poll.

It'll be interesting to see how their laissez fair approach to playing defense works in the SEC grind. It cost them in the Rose Bowl when they spoiled a solid offensive performance by letting Georgia get back in the game and eventually take over. I don't know how anyone could bet on Oklahoma and give points. No lead is safe for the Sooners regardless of who they're playing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

It'll be interesting to see how their laissez fair approach to playing defense works in the SEC grind. It cost them in the Rose Bowl when they spoiled a solid offensive performance by letting Georgia get back in the game and eventually take over. I don't know how anyone could bet on Oklahoma and give points. No lead is safe for the Sooners regardless of who they're playing.

 

They'll adapt to the SEC eventually, but they'll be a four loss 3 or 4 loss team for a few years and completely out of the playoff picture. But it's Oklahoma, so they will adapt the the SEC like Homestead and Carroll adapted to the SAC. It's just not going to happen overnight. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yesterday was yet another prime example.  If Texas A&M, Notre Dame and Ohio State are top ten teams, I’ve got some ocean front property on the west side of Indy to sell you.

Cincinnati was tied at halftime with MURRAY STATE?

Oh yeah, and Coastal Carolina?  Gimme a break.

Fully prepared for everyone to overreact about Iowa also.

Edited by temptation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, temptation said:

Yesterday was yet another prime example.  If Texas A&M, Notre Dame and Ohio State are top ten teams, I’ve got some ocean front property on the west side of Indy to sell you.

Cincinnati was tied at halftime with MURRAY STATE?

Oh yeah, and Coastal Carolina?  Gimme a break.

Fully prepared for everyone to overreact about Iowa also.

At some point we will be saying…well damn, SOMEBODY has to be in the top ten. 🤣 Or at least 2nd through 10th any way. Not disagreeing with you, but if we keep saying this team and that team are not top ten teams, there won’t be anyone left. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The only way I'll start worrying about preseason polls is if they College Football Playoff (the only poll that matters) is directly influenced by either the AP or Coaches poll. I haven't seen that to be the case yet. Preseason polls are fun and meant to hype up early season match ups, all while being meaningless at the same time. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Footballking16 said:

The only way I'll start worrying about preseason polls is if they College Football Playoff (the only poll that matters) is directly influenced by either the AP or Coaches poll. I haven't seen that to be the case yet. Preseason polls are fun and meant to hype up early season match ups, all while being meaningless at the same time. 

While true, I have always been of the mindset of if you are going to do something, you might as well do it right.

Edited by temptation
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...