Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

Coach O on the hotseat?

Boilernation

Granted I know it's absolutely absurd to be talking about a coach being on the hotseat less than 2 years removed from a National Title; however, we are talking about the SEC as well as a school/fanbase that has zero patience for not being an SEC contender. The Bayou Bengals didn't show anything in LA to suggest they'll pose a threat to Alabama in the SEC West, let alone Texas A&M. Coach O caught lightning in a bottle when he hired a highly respected current NFL OC to coordinate a passing attack that included 4 1st round picks and 1 2nd round pick. I like Coach O and enjoy watching him in the Bayou. I'm assuming he'll get another pass this year if they suffer 4-5 losses, but another season like that next year and he'll be out.

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

Granted I know it's absolutely absurd to be talking about a coach being on the hotseat less than 2 years removed from a National Title; however, we are talking about the SEC as well as a school/fanbase that has zero patience for not being an SEC contender. The Bayou Bengals didn't show anything in LA to suggest they'll pose a threat to Alabama in the SEC West, let alone Texas A&M. Coach O caught lightning in a bottle when he hired a highly respected current NFL OC to coordinate a passing attack that included 4 1st round picks and 1 2nd round pick. I like Coach O and enjoy watching him in the Bayou. I'm assuming he'll get another pass this year if they suffer 4-5 losses, but another season like that next year and he'll be out.

Spot on.....I love the guy too. HUGE personality and the type of guy the game needs to have around. he is one I like to see do well, but the reality is that his teams have struggled everywhere he has been the head coach. It is an impressive resume. Like any other SEC program, the fans there are impatient and they have HIGH expectations. 

1 hour ago, Boilernation said:

The thing about those SEC boys, they don't like to lose at any cost.  Coach O could easily be on the hot seat, but without an all-world QB like Burrow, winning isn't as easy as it one was...

47 minutes ago, temptation said:

I’ll reply with a similar sentiment from the Notre Dame thread.

Nick Saban/Alabama make a lot of folks look bad.  If their coach/program is where you set your bar, then you are going to be disappointed more often than not.

And you just know there are delusional and influential boosters in Baton Rouge, Knoxville, Auburn, etc. that think they're one hire away from having their own NIck Saban. 

2 hours ago, Footballking16 said:

There's a lot more stuff behind the scenes and off the field going that may force LSU's hand. He's got a great personality but thinks he's just an ok coach. Tough to squander the amount of talent he had in 2019. Seems something only Bob Stoops is capable of doing. 

It'll only force LSU's hand if they want to use it as an excuse to get rid of Coach O. They kept a basketball coach who admitted to cheating. They'll do whatever it takes to keep their football coach if they really want him.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

And you just know there are delusional and influential boosters in Baton Rouge, Knoxville, Auburn, etc. that think they're one hire away from having their own NIck Saban. 

It'll only force LSU's hand if they want to use it as an excuse to get rid of Coach O. They kept a basketball coach who admitted to cheating. They'll do whatever it takes to keep their football coach if they really want him.

And to be honest, those cities you mentioned aren’t all that delusional with the well known practices that take place in the SEC.  Saban and Bama just happen to be the bully on the block.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

And with Myles, the alumni showed they have a LOT of cash to get rid of someone........to the point every coach hired after him should add a HUGE buyout to the contract. Not sure what Coach O's buyout is. 

20 minutes ago, Irishman said:

And with Myles, the alumni showed they have a LOT of cash to get rid of someone........to the point every coach hired after him should add a HUGE buyout to the contract. Not sure what Coach O's buyout is. 

Probably not as big as Myles's buyout was.  The addition of OU to the SEC is just going to magnify that pressure next season if O is still around.  Given that Fisher is going to be on the hotseat himself if A&M doesn't make it to the national championship series this season, I'd expect Fisher and A&M are going to be looking to embarrass LSU.

2 hours ago, foxbat said:

Probably not as big as Myles's buyout was.  The addition of OU to the SEC is just going to magnify that pressure next season if O is still around.  Given that Fisher is going to be on the hotseat himself if A&M doesn't make it to the national championship series this season, I'd expect Fisher and A&M are going to be looking to embarrass LSU.

You see that 4 year extension A&M just randomly gave Fisher? Seems like A&M didn't like the boys in Austin getting too much attention for joining the SEC. 

2 hours ago, Boilernation said:

You see that 4 year extension A&M just randomly gave Fisher? Seems like A&M didn't like the boys in Austin getting too much attention for joining the SEC. 

Especially given that Texas hadn't really made a lot of noise since A&M joined the SEC.  The good news is that A&M will be playing Texas again annually.  The bad news for Texas is that A&M, since they now HAVE to share the stage with Texas, will be looking to make it ugly each season.

The extension is not all unexpected given what they paid for Fisher and where he is right now in terms of A&M's performance.  I'd be interested in seeing the terms of payout for buyout. 

30 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Especially given that Texas hadn't really made a lot of noise since A&M joined the SEC.  The good news is that A&M will be playing Texas again annually.  The bad news for Texas is that A&M, since they now HAVE to share the stage with Texas, will be looking to make it ugly each season.

The extension is not all unexpected given what they paid for Fisher and where he is right now in terms of A&M's performance.  I'd be interested in seeing the terms of payout for buyout. 

Side topic:  Texas and Oklahoma are gonna be in a world of hurt for a few years once they join the SEC…with a 16 team conference, you better hope Vandy is one of your annual crossovers/contests.

I’ll rarely criticize a person/program for bettering their situation but I think their Swiss cheese defenses are going to take some lumps.

Edited by temptation
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, temptation said:

Side topic:  Texas and Oklahoma are gonna be in a world of hurt for a few years once they join the SEC…with a 16 team conference, you better hope Vandy is one of your annual crossovers/contests.

I’ll rarely criticize a person/program for bettering their situation but I think their Swiss cheese defenses are going to take some lumps.

Oklahoma will be fine.  In comparison, they will match up fine with the likes of Mississippi, Vandy, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Miss State.  Solid games will be against Auburn, Georgia, LSU, A&M, South Carolina, Florida, and Texas, ... only because of the rivalry aspect ... and like everyone else, will take their lumps against Alabama 5 out of every 6 years or more.

Texas is going to look more like Mississippi State and maybe South Carolina early on.

9 hours ago, foxbat said:

Oklahoma will be fine.  In comparison, they will match up fine with the likes of Mississippi, Vandy, Arkansas, Missouri, Tennessee, Kentucky, and Miss State.  Solid games will be against Auburn, Georgia, LSU, A&M, South Carolina, Florida, and Texas, ... only because of the rivalry aspect ... and like everyone else, will take their lumps against Alabama 5 out of every 6 years or more.

Texas is going to look more like Mississippi State and maybe South Carolina early on.

The Sooners better improve on the defensive side of the ball.....their recent track record hasn't been impressive, nor their recent effort at home against Tulane. SEC very different beast than the Big 12.

Edited by Bash Riprock

3 minutes ago, Bash Riprock said:

The Sooners better improve on the defensive side of the ball.....their recent track record hasn't been impressive, nor their recent effort at home against Tulane. SEC very different beast than the Big 12.

This was my thinking as well.  Sure, they will be able to let off the gas a couple of times per season but they also won't be able to simply "out talent" 75 percent of the teams on their schedule.

1 hour ago, temptation said:

This was my thinking as well.  Sure, they will be able to let off the gas a couple of times per season but they also won't be able to simply "out talent" 75 percent of the teams on their schedule.

They always seem to pick a bad time to let off the gas....K State comes to mind from the last couple years. 

13 hours ago, foxbat said:

Agreed.  The Longhorns will struggle.

On 9/10/2021 at 11:27 AM, Gipper said:

Agreed.  The Longhorns will struggle.

Texas taking it on the chin from Arkansas tonight.  They've announced that they'll play Big 12 until 2025 to join the SEC ... may need those extra seasons to get up to speed with the lower half of the SEC?

26 minutes ago, foxbat said:

Texas taking it on the chin from Arkansas tonight.  They've announced that they'll play Big 12 until 2025 to join the SEC ... may need those extra seasons to get up to speed with the lower half of the SEC?

Sure are—loving it.  Appalachian State is up on the U.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...