Head Coach Openings 2024 ×
  • Current Donation Goals

• Raised $2,716 of $3,600 target

HCC Week #5

7-1 overall through two weeks of conference play for the Temp.  An exciting slate of games this week that should shape the conference race and reveal some things.

Fishers @ Brownsburg:  The Tigers suffered their first loss of the season, in lopsided fashion AT HOME against their rival.  Surely they will be in the mindset of erasing that taste out of their mouths.  Brownsburg, on the other hand, went on the road and dealt their rival a lopsided defeat of their own in disposing of Avon.  Looking at the combined record of the teams that Fishers has defeated, gives me the notion that they are still a bit of a pretender and are still not ready for the top level of the HCC.  Consequently, Brownsburg boasts a victory over what is turning out to be a solid BD outfit and has played Cathedral closer than anyone.  I'll say Brownsburg here.  31-14.

Franklin Central @ Avon:  Biggest win in years for the Flashes as they took down 5A powerhouse Zionsville, whereas Avon continues to reel.  This contest may very well be a battle to avoid finishing in the basement of the conference (a thought that would have shocked Avon fans a month ago).  One team is riding high and another is riding high in desperation.  Bettors will tell you if it feels too good to be true it may be.  I'll stick with Avon here simply because they are at home.  Orioles win 27-23.

Westfield @ Hamilton Southeastern:  The game of the week in the conference and maybe even the state of Indiana.  One team (Westfield) was expected to contend for the conference title all along, whereas the other (HSE) is a surprise contender and cemented itself as so by dispatching of Fishers in dominating fashion last week.  This may be the biggest non-rivalry home contest for HSE in many years.  Both teams seem to be getting better each week.  I'll go with Westfield on the road but am not very confident in it as HSE has proved many folks wrong thus far.  'Rocks win 30-24.

Zionsville @ Noblesville:  Both teams got off to fast starts and are now riding two game losing streaks.  Neither wants to make it three.  The Eagles seemed to take the disappointment of the Westfield loss to Franklin Township last weekend and it bit them.  Noblesville's feast or famine offense has come up empty the last two weeks.  I think this one will be close but I expect Zionsville to come out on top.  27-17.

What say you?

• Like 1

Brownsburg 35 Fishers 13

Avon 31 Franklin Central 27

Westfield 27 HSE 14

Zionsville 20 Noblesville 7

Is this the definition of a trap game for the Bulldogs with Westfield looming the following week?

Believe it or not, Avon's defense last week looked much improved, and Mason Reynolds is improving every week. He has a D1 arm. Give him protection and he will pick you apart.

HSE should have confidence but they have yet to play a good football team. Westfield has so far preformed up to expectations. 

If Zionsville wants to get back to the 5A title game they need to step up and show it. I just don't think Coach Sharp's Miller defense can make enough stops to allow for those 14-play drives his offense puts up.

• Like 1

On 9/12/2021 at 12:14 PM, temptation said:

7-1 overall through two weeks of conference play for the Temp.  An exciting slate of games this week that should shape the conference race and reveal some things.

Fishers @ Brownsburg:  The Tigers suffered their first loss of the season, in lopsided fashion AT HOME against their rival.  Surely they will be in the mindset of erasing that taste out of their mouths.  Brownsburg, on the other hand, went on the road and dealt their rival a lopsided defeat of their own in disposing of Avon.  Looking at the combined record of the teams that Fishers has defeated, gives me the notion that they are still a bit of a pretender and are still not ready for the top level of the HCC.  Consequently, Brownsburg boasts a victory over what is turning out to be a solid BD outfit and has played Cathedral closer than anyone.  I'll say Brownsburg here.  31-14.

Franklin Central @ Avon:  Biggest win in years for the Flashes as they took down 5A powerhouse Zionsville, whereas Avon continues to reel.  This contest may very well be a battle to avoid finishing in the basement of the conference (a thought that would have shocked Avon fans a month ago).  One team is riding high and another is riding high in desperation.  Bettors will tell you if it feels too good to be true it may be.  I'll stick with Avon here simply because they are at home.  Orioles win 27-23.

Westfield @ Hamilton Southeastern:  The game of the week in the conference and maybe even the state of Indiana.  One team (Westfield) was expected to contend for the conference title all along, whereas the other (HSE) is a surprise contender and cemented itself as so by dispatching of Fishers in dominating fashion last week.  This may be the biggest non-rivalry home contest for HSE in many years.  Both teams seem to be getting better each week.  I'll go with Westfield on the road but am not very confident in it as HSE has proved many folks wrong thus far.  'Rocks win 30-24.

Zionsville @ Noblesville:  Both teams got off to fast starts and are now riding two game losing streaks.  Neither wants to make it three.  The Eagles seemed to take the disappointment of the Westfield loss to Franklin Township last weekend and it bit them.  Noblesville's feast or famine offense has come up empty the last two weeks.  I think this one will be close but I expect Zionsville to come out on top.  27-17.

What say you?

I like Brownsburg by about 31-14 as well. 

Ha.I like your analogy to a bet. Agree again. I'll take Avon 21-13

Westfield is really freaking good. Great QB/RB combo and a solid defense. I have a feeling HSE is going to lay an egg after taking it to their rival in front of an overflow crowd in Fishers. I'll go Rocks 35 HSE 17

This is the type of game Noblesville needs to move as a program out of HCC basement status. They played Fishers down to the last minutes and had the ball with a chance to win at the end of the 4th game. It's time for the Millers to finish. I'll go with the homer pick and take Noblesville 24-20.

On 9/12/2021 at 1:55 PM, Staxawax said:

Brownsburg 35 Fishers 13

Avon 31 Franklin Central 27

Westfield 27 HSE 14

Zionsville 20 Noblesville 7

Is this the definition of a trap game for the Bulldogs with Westfield looming the following week?

Believe it or not, Avon's defense last week looked much improved, and Mason Reynolds is improving every week. He has a D1 arm. Give him protection and he will pick you apart.

HSE should have confidence but they have yet to play a good football team. Westfield has so far preformed up to expectations. 

If Zionsville wants to get back to the 5A title game they need to step up and show it. I just don't think Coach Sharp's Miller defense can make enough stops to allow for those 14-play drives his offense puts up.

In your opinion (assuming you are fairly close to the program) what is it that is holding Avon back outside of the obvious inability to stop anybody?

Even the best programs/coaches have down years but this fall from grace seems to have happened rather quickly.

5 hours ago, temptation said:

In your opinion (assuming you are fairly close to the program) what is it that is holding Avon back outside of the obvious inability to stop anybody?

Even the best programs/coaches have down years but this fall from grace seems to have happened rather quickly.

Bless has never been known to be a defensive genius. They have always had trouble with teams that have speed and quickness. Plus, they are very young. Over 50 sophomores on the varsity/jv roster. Seems Avon produces a team worthy of title talk once every 4-5 years. They may very well be in the conversation in 2023.

Takeaways:

1.  It just went from bad to worse for Avon.  There is now a very real possibility they finish last in the conference.

2.  Kudos to FC.  The move from Warren to FC was head scratching for many but FC being competitive in year 1 of the new coaching staff bodes well for the future.

3.  Brownsburg just continues to roll and broke open a contest that was tight early.  They still get their shot at Westfield in a game that should decide the conference title.

4.  Like LN in the MIC, Fishers is just not quite ready for the prime time associated with competing with the top dogs in its conference.  I think we will look back on this season as progress for the Tigers but they are sort of stuck in the middle.

5.  Westfield has once again staked its claim as the favorite in 6A north (they already were to many).  They can basically sew up the conference title with a win over Brownsburg.

6.  HSE proved they are good but not elite.  Top 10 in 6A but not as close to top 5 as originally thought.

7.  Zionsville got back on track and is once again primed to make a deep 5A run despite entering the tournament with possibly 3+ losses.  5A north should be fun.

8.  Noblesville continuing to sink but has already turned the corner as a program and will only get better if they are given time.

Tier 1:  Brownsburg, Westfield

Tier 2:  Hamilton Southeastern, Zionsville

Tier 3:  Fishers, Franklin Central

Tier 4:  Avon, Noblesville

Edited by temptation

On 9/18/2021 at 8:53 AM, temptation said:

Takeaways:

1.  It just went from bad to worse for Avon.  There is now a very real possibility they finish last in the conference.

2.  Kudos to FC.  The move from Warren to FC was head scratching for many but FC being competitive in year 1 of the new coaching staff bodes well for the future.

3.  Brownsburg just continues to roll and broke open a contest that was tight early.  They still get their shot at Westfield in a game that should decide the conference title.

4.  Like LN in the MIC, Fishers is just not quite ready for the prime time associated with competing with the top dogs in its conference.  I think we will look back on this season as progress for the Tigers but they are sort of stuck in the middle.

5.  Westfield has once again staked its claim as the favorite in 6A north (they already were to many).  They can basically sew up the conference title with a win over Brownsburg.

6.  HSE proved they are good but not elite.  Top 10 in 6A but not as close to top 5 as originally thought.

7.  Zionsville got back on track and is once again primed to make a deep 5A run despite entering the tournament with possibly 3+ losses.  5A north should be fun.

8.  Noblesville continuing to sink but has already turned the corner as a program and will only get better if they are given time.

Tier 1:  Brownsburg, Westfield

Tier 2:  Hamilton Southeastern, Zionsville

Tier 3:  Fishers, Franklin Central

Tier 4:  Avon, Noblesville

Per Max Preps, here are the final stats for the Noblesville/Zionsville game:

Total Plays: Noblesville  67   Zionsville 52

1st Downs: Noblesville 19     Zionsville 16

TOP:           Noblesville 27:32   Zionsville 20:28

Rushing Yards:   Noblesville 421  Zionsville 178

Passing Yards: Noblesville 11   Zionsville 181

Once again, similiar to the Fishers game, Noblesville's inability to have any sort of a passing game is really hurting them. They're not getting HCC defenses to break when trying to run the ball on 3rd and long. Plus, it's making 4th and short even harder when the defense is going all out to stop the run. 

The turnaround in Year 1 with West in Franklin Township is remarkable. At this point I'm expecting them to be 5-2 heading into Week 8 @ HSE.

5 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

Per Max Preps, here are the final stats for the Noblesville/Zionsville game:

Total Plays: Noblesville  67   Zionsville 52

1st Downs: Noblesville 19     Zionsville 16

TOP:           Noblesville 27:32   Zionsville 20:28

Rushing Yards:   Noblesville 421  Zionsville 178

Passing Yards: Noblesville 11   Zionsville 181

Once again, similiar to the Fishers game, Noblesville's inability to have any sort of a passing game is really hurting them. They're not getting HCC defenses to break when trying to run the ball on 3rd and long. Plus, it's making 4th and short even harder when the defense is going all out to stop the run. 

The turnaround in Year 1 with West in Franklin Township is remarkable. At this point I'm expecting them to be 5-2 heading into Week 8 @ HSE.

Define 3rd and long...

3 minutes ago, Boilernation said:

I wish I had some drive charts or specific notes to rely on, but I would say any yardage of at least 5 and longer they will still dial up the power run game. 

If you KNOW you are going for it on 4th down, I have no problem with trying to get 3-4 yards via the run game on 3rd down and 7/8.  Doesn't sound like its working against the better teams on their schedule though.

7 minutes ago, temptation said:

If you KNOW you are going for it on 4th down, I have no problem with trying to get 3-4 yards via the run game on 3rd down and 7/8.  Doesn't sound like its working against the better teams on their schedule though.

No, it's not. They have a powering O-Line that can push the ball down the field and some bruisers and speed at RB. I would love to see them figure out a way to sprinkle in an effective passing attack out of the power formation. Just something to rely on 7-10 times per game to keep the chains moving and the back 7 from selling out on the run.

Edited by Boilernation